Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

First time post, from a 4 month owner (with reflections)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time post, from a 4 month owner (with reflections)

I must say, when I got the gift as a gadget-lover, I was VERY skeptical. Just didn't see the point with many other services offering similar products available.

But, I will say, I love my VUDU. Pretty solid selection, GREAT interface, super-convenient; overall definitely adds to my entertainment experience.

However, there are a couple of things I would like to see changed (much of which has been echoed elsewhere in this forum).

First, and foremost; titles available should be available for BOTH purchase and rent. The most common rationale for not allowing this I see is that VUDU is at the mercy off the film companies, and that THEY decide which of the two "formats" will be made available to this service. I certainly understand from a financial perspective the advantage of limiting the rentals in the immediate release period (unfortunately), but I don't understand why some of the older titles are not available in both formats. It seems as if every title that I would like to add to my library is available only for rent.

Second, all titles that ARE available for both purchase and rent, should be available for purchase within the 24 hour renting period for the difference in the cost between the rental and the purchase price. Just makes sense for everyone involved if you ask me.

Bring me The Big Lebowski, Dude. It has been cited as the first cult film of the internet era. A perfect platform would be the VUDU.

Re: First time post, from a 4 month owner (with reflections)

Great first post! Welcome to the Vudu forum. I hope you will keep involved and provide this type of feedback on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by bubka1 View Post
      It seems as if every title that I would like to add to my library is available only for rent.
      Interesting perspective. Many of the renters here (I'll put myself in this category) have the opposite complaint; that many of the movies they want to rent are available for purchase only. It really would be great if the studios, etc. can get this figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by bubka1 View Post
        I certainly understand from a financial perspective the advantage of limiting the rentals in the immediate release period (unfortunately), but I don't understand why some of the older titles are not available in both formats.
        It's counter-intuitive but let me try to explain the intricacies of the environment we operate in here.

First of all, digital and physical content have different licensing agreements. Second in the digital world in the studios, there are two different business units. One is for digital purchases and the other for digital rentals. Individual contracts need to be made with each. Some studios like Disney will probably never offer their content for purchase. Others, like Sony, are primarily ownership studios.

Now as for the older content. If a movie was made within the last ten years, there are clauses in the contracts between the studios and the content owners governing digital distribution. For movies older than 10 years, there is no such clause. So if content is to be distributed digitally for a given movie, approval has to be given by EVERY SINGLE content owner in that movie. What is a content owner? Writers, musicians, composers, etc. People who basically wrote the content and who have ownership of content in a movie have to give approval and unanimous at that. If a single content owner does not give their approval to the distribution then nothing happens - the movie isn't cleared. It gets worse. Let's say one of the content owner dies and then the ownership goes to his/her estate. Then all the beneficiaries of that estate have to give approval to the distribution, etc. If children of a writer or composer are fighting over the estate, is it likely that anything will get approved?

So it's a rather complex and daunting process. My understanding is that studios have floors of lawyers working on nothing but this sort of thing. So while we have previously placed a lot of blame at the feet of the studios, this is not necessarily the case. It goes a lot deeper as the business models and the rights are very complex.

Thanks for the questions! I hope I was able to answer some.

Comment

My viewpoint is much more simplistic.

It's all about Greed.

When "they" perceive there's money to be made, the flood gates WILL open.

The rest of it is the same stuff you see when you agree to an online terms and conditions document, that no one ever reads.

Comment

I agree that once they see there is money to be made, it will open. But the biggest issue is that Hollywood is extremely concerned with their content being downloaded over the internet. Period. It's secure with services like Vudu and AppleTV, but they need to be convinced that it won't be able to take their content and turn it into a bit torrent type thing.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              I agree that once they see there is money to be made, it will open. But the biggest issue is that Hollywood is extremely concerned with their content being downloaded over the internet. Period. It's secure with services like Vudu and AppleTV, but they need to be convinced that it won't be able to take their content and turn it into a bit torrent type thing.
              Well sure I agree with that. That's why things like DRM encryption is important, to give them a sense of security. And even though lots of people don't like it, it doesn't help the cause when people prove they can hack it.

Online shopping didn't get much traction until https was adopted by the browsers and made easy to use for the customer. But it also helped that the credit card companies were willing to take the risk of liability.

Don't know who would be the equivalent of the credit card companies though in the case of content theft.

Comment

Hey NA9D, Thanks for that somewhat detailed explanation. There sure is a lot that goes on behind the scenes! Guess we have to keep those lawyers busy.
                Seems to me that the only viable "work-around" is for Vudu to continue to add titles as rapidly as possible. That way, if we can't find the one we're looking for now, we at least have 10,000 or more from which to choose.
                I, like many others here on the forum, would prefer as much HD content as possible, so that we don't have to "fret" as much about the disc format war--which I guess is sort of over and has now become a "which download format" war.

Comment

NA9D, thanks. Certainly complex, and one can only hope that this issue will be resolved at some point in the near future when older formats become less the norm.

Comment

That's a very nice summary, Jon. Perhaps, it should be stickied.

Comment

I can edit a version and put it up as a sticky. Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                        That's a very nice summary, Jon. Perhaps, it should be stickied.
                        Done and then some!

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                          Done and then some!
                          I just read your new post. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks for the time and effort you have obviously put in it to provide us with that info.

You mention the writers strike. Since the strike has recently ended, do you have any thoughts on whether the settlement will help make title availability easier or just more difficult?

Now back to the fun... Is there anyway I can buy a hard bound version of your book? Also, do you plan on a Trilogy anytime in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
                            I just read your new post. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks for the time and effort you have obviously put in it to provide us with that info.

You mention the writers strike. Since the strike has recently ended, do you have any thoughts on whether the settlement will help make title availability easier or just more difficult?

Now back to the fun... Is there anyway I can buy a hard bound version of your book? Also, do you plan on a Trilogy anytime in the future?
                            No idea on the writer's strike. I'm simply a field sales engineer in Chicago who sells electronic components to the wireless and medical industry. I have no idea on what impact the writers strike and the ensuing settlement will have on services like Vudu or the movies that can be had.

As for my book, well it's not coming any time soon. Perhaps some day I'll have a collection of memoirs of all my internet postings and political/societal philosophies!

Comment

Working...
                            X