Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu Movie Collection Rated - first poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redwein View Post
    Ok. You don't like the movie selection. There are others that think its pretty good, myself included. It seems pointless to have an argument about what constitutes a good movie. What is more important is how many people feel each way.
    You're right - to each his own ...

I can't believe I'm the only one posting who's REALLY unhappy with the selection... (yes I know it's supposed to get better ...)

Who knows how to set up a poll?? Let us rate the collection either good/bad or on a scale from 1 to 5 stars .....
    ***** 5 Stars - I Love It! It's what I'd hoped for
    0.00%
    ****.. 4 Stars - I'm impressed and am hoping for a few more goodies
    27.03%
    ***.... 3 Stars - Its good, and Im convinced it's going to get better
    27.03%
    **...... 2 Stars - Not bad, but it has a way to go before I'm happy
    32.43%
    *........ 1 Star.. - Not yet what I expected
    13.51%

This is the first of hopefully many ongoing polls to see what the Vudu owners think of the overall movie collection. If the community seems to like this, I'll try to post a new poll about once a quarter. I'll keep this poll open for a relatively long time.

When you consider the entire Vudu movie collection, how many stars would you give it today?

Comment

Re: Vudu Movie Collection Rated - first poll

Thanks for setting this up Nded.

Comment

Oh, and Vudu employees shouldn't get to vote ...

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
          Oh, and Vudu employees shouldn't get to vote ...
          You don't need to worry about that - they're too darn busy to read this poll, much less vote on it...

Comment

And hopefully their numbers wouldn't make much difference anyway. Their total number versus the ever growing Vudu Users - no match (but then I did watch 300, and small numbers can make a difference).

The poll probably should consider rent/buy, too, since, in some cases, I'm excited about the title but not able to rent it, which turns 'the thrill of victory into the agony of defeat'.

Comment

Wow .. most people so far are "impressed" with the selection ... I'm amazed ....

Comment

It would be nice to see a breakdown of who's voting. Customers, beta testers or Vudu employees.

Visit the 5 Star Cinema

Comment

There is no way to tell who voted and what they voted for in polls. As mbustin stated that the VUDU employees don't get to vote. Its on the honor system with that in mind.

Comment

Wow .. most people so far are "impressed" with the selection ... I'm amazed ....
                    This is probably just an indication of people's initial expectation. A lot of early adopters just expect things to take time and are truly impressed with the initial offering because it is way better than it could have been. They find it sufficient to be able to enjoy the technology, though not complete enough to abandaon other avenues of movie viewing (e.g. going to the movies, renting/buying dvds etc.). They kind of take it on faith that things will improve and that they will be able to use it more and more as time goes on. It's not unlike seeing a movie that you didn't expect to like and finding yourself pleasantly surprised as opposed to thinking it's going to be great and being disappointed, even if it was better than the one you liked but had lower expectations.

In this case, it seems reasonable to compare Vudu with whatever else is out there too. If there was a different product that did what Vudu does and had a better selection, every single person here would have bought that. As it stands, that is obviously not the case so it is the cream of the crop in this space. Early adopters like to support the technology and help it succeed so that they ultimately get the best product possible. They typically enjoy getting their hands on something early and are willing to pay to play. Sometimes that pays off. Sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully this will be one that does.

Comment

I think people are muddying the waters between the technology and the movie content. Granted the hardware, technology and performance are great and as I have said many times - I hope they succeed. But no matter how cool the technology-- I really don't need instant access to "Mulletville" ....

Did they not say to expect 5-20 movies per week? Where are they??

I've seen 3 new offerings (2 are buy only) in the last 2 weeks (28 Weeks - where's 28 days??) , "Blades of Glory" and "Evan Almighty"

I hope vudu emplyees are too busy to read this poll as Nded said - I hope they're busy working overtime to digitize some decent content.... with subtitles too please ....

Comment

People who have posted here so far seem fairly literate, and while I can't speak for anyone else, from reading previous discussions about movie selection, I certainly understood what the poll was intended to measure.

Comment

I think people are muddying the waters between the technology and the movie content. Granted the hardware, technology and performance are great and as I have said many times - I hope they succeed. But no matter how cool the technology-- I really don't need instant access to "Mulletville" ....

Did they not say to expect 5-20 movies per week? Where are they??

I've seen 3 new offerings (2 are buy only) in the last 2 weeks (28 Weeks - where's 28 days??) , "Blades of Glory" and "Evan Almighty"

I hope vudu emplyees are too busy to read this poll as Nded said - I hope they're busy working overtime to digitize some decent content.... with subtitles too please ....
                          I don't think it's muddying the waters. I would say that people who would buy the box at this time were more likely to be more interested in the technology than the extent of the initial collection. They expect that content will improve but they are satisfied with the absolute best content available from any legitimate download source that offers instant playback of dvd quality video to your television. The poll results seem to reflect that. That being said, buying the box now based solely on the current state of the collection in it's first month of service is probably a mistake. You would probably have been happier waiting 6 months to see if it turns out to be successful. That way, if it flops, you wouldn't have lost anything and if it succeeds you wouldn't be frustrated with the movie selection.

Now from Vudu's standpoint, waiting to release the product another 6 months to work out the content issue would have been a mistake. There seem to be enough people willing to adopt the technology at this time who are actully happy with the present selection and looking toward the future. That way, they can get a revenue stream, work out any technology kinks in the production system with a manageable number of users, and spend time to work out the deals with the studios over the content.

About the Vudu employees spending time digitizing conent. I was under the impression that the studios provide the content so I wouldn't think lack of content would be due to any of those individual Vudu employees.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                            About the Vudu employees spending time digitizing conent. I was under the impression that the studios provide the content so I wouldn't think lack of content would be due to any of those individual Vudu employees.
                            Vudu gets raw source material from the studios - not sure what form. But it is then encoded and encrypted into the format for the boxes. So there is a rather significant amount of processing that takes place at Vudu...

Comment

I an effort of full disclosure (as some have asked what the beta testers are rating the movies), I will tell everyone that I did NOT give the database 4 stars. Since there's not any votes as of right now for 5 starts, this means my vote was 3 stars or lower.

Comment

Working...
                              X