Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

High def picture quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High def picture quality

I got the first two Bourne HD movies today and excitedly started watching them. I noticed that the quality is not what I expected. This is quite possibly the first time I have seen HD on this particular TV (a phillips 42" plasma
    42PF9431D) so I do not know if its the TV or the VUDU. I have a photo of a freeze frame from the Bourne movie here:

http://sharpers.com/images/IMG_8221.JPG

It shows what appear to be strange color artifacts and blockiness. This is only really noticeable when the movie shows a large expanse of a single color and there isn't much movement on screen.

I'm using HDMI and have tried VUDU on both 720p and 1080i and AUTO video settings - all look the same. The TV supports 720p and 1080i.

I used to watch a lot of comcast highdef shows on a rear projection Sony and the images were flawless. So i'm wondering if this is a problem with plasmas or VUDU or my TV or my eyes.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Re: High def picture quality

If that picture is anywhere close to what you're actually seeing then that's not normal. Hell - it's not even acceptable.

I can tell you without a doubt that my picture looks nothing remotely close to what I just saw in your picture.

Are you using HDMI or component?

Comment

Yeah, that's not good. It's not correct..

You sure you are watching the HD Bourne flicks and not the SD??

Comment

I am using HDMI and as far as I can tell, I'm definitely watching the high def versions of the bourne movies.

It looks much better when there are lots of details on the screen (I'll take another picture to prove it) but when there is a large patch of single color it looks like that picture. Also skin tones look terrible.

Comment

I thought the HD content looked "OK". I didnt notice any weird colors or artifacts like you are describing, but the Bourne Identity didnt look as good as it has on HBO HD or other HD channels on my cable system.

It looks good enough for rentals though.
          I could be suave, but how many crude guys do you know?

Comment

I just tried pluging the HDMI cable into my second HDMI port and I saw, just for a second, a message talking about HDCP incompatibility on some device...is it possible that the HDCP copy protection is kicking in and downsampling the resolution on me for some reason?

Comment

Originally posted by steveybaby View Post
              I just tried pluging the HDMI cable into my second HDMI port and I saw, just for a second, a message talking about HDCP incompatibility on some device...is it possible that the HDCP copy protection is kicking in and downsampling the resolution on me for some reason?
              Shouldn't. HDCP generally causes about a 1/2 second of the correct image to be shown followed by about 2 seconds of snow. This alternates back and forth. That's the way I've always seen it.

Not sure why you guys aren't seeing outstanding image quality. Yours are the first anyone has made where they weren't extremely impressed by the image. I watched very closely on the first Bourne movie as the first seen is very dark and shadowy and that is generally the worst type of image for digital artifacts. I was extremely impressed with how good it looked and didn't see any color banding.

What resolution are you running at? 720p, 1080i, or 1080p/24? What is the native resolution of your set?

Comment

1080i

If I switch the cable to component and the picture looks identical does that prove anything?

Comment

1080i

If I switch the cable to component and the picture looks identical does that prove anything?
                  Well, try changing resolution to 720p. Do you have a 1080i compatible set? Some of the smaller HD sets are only 720p (my 27" Sharp LCD is that way).

[edit] - Oops you said you tried all that before....

Component video is only 480p and so anything out of HDMI should look way, way better than that...Something is not right...

If you display the signal info on your TV what does it say? Mine will report back the resolution of the current content. See if 1080i or 720p is actually being seen by the set...

Comment

The tv reports whatever I set the vudu to - 1080i or 720p - so the correct signal is getting to the TV. The VUDU interface looks pretty good right now, when I've tried viewing that through component or 480p it is noticeably crappier.

So it's just the Bourne movies that don't seem to be showing in the resolution I would expect. I took some more photos - after *renting* Bourne Identity in standard Def so I could compare...I can't say they look incredibly different..

Here is a beard in HD:
                    http://sharpers.com/images/beard_hd.jpg

and the same beard in SD
                    http://sharpers.com/images/beard_sd.jpg

Here is the same frame zoomed out a little in SD
                    http://sharpers.com/images/face_sd.jpg

and in hd:
                    http://sharpers.com/images/face_hd.jpg

If I hadn't labeled them I don't think you would be able to tell which was which. Maybe it's my pictures that are misleading, or maybe my TV is rubbish, or perhaps my Bourne movie isn't coming through at the correct rez?

I'm not sure what I can do to determine which it is.

PS any chance of a refund on the SD Bourne Identity vudu folks???

Comment

Isn't the video quality when paused always worse than when running at normal speed? That has been my experience.

Comment

Yeah but the artifacts and blockiness are noticeable when its playing too.

Comment

He's using HDMI.

I'm using HDMI and have tried VUDU on both 720p and 1080i and AUTO video settings - all look the same. The TV supports 720p and 1080i.

Comment

Hello,

Can you post your box ID so I can pull your logs to see what's going on? It's under Info and Settings and System Information. It looks like 0x12ab.

Thanks!
                            Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

It is 0x2fbf

I'm also talking with my TV manufacturer to see if the problem is on their side.

Comment

Working...
                              X