Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Wake up everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake up everyone!

Hey VUDU old timers & newbies....

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE RIP-OFF!

If you purchased movies, and thought you could still watch them anywhere you want, whenever you want, and WITHOUT an internet connection....
    Well your wrong!

THEY'RE GONE!
    And don't let them tell you anything different.

Streaming only helps one entity, and one entity alone... VUDU/WALMART!
    Now it's all just window dressing and facebook & balh, blah, blah.
    Everyone knows it worked great before and the Brazil Beta was and is a joke.
    Streaming doesn't help you, it saves them having to REALLY sell you a movie!

VUDU literally came and STOLE your 'purchases' from you like a thief in the night and hoped you wouldn't catch on. One minute you had movies on your hard-drive that you "purchased", or that you "own" according to their graphics (which still reflect that by the way), and the next.... THEY'RE GONE!
    Well they forgot about those of us with more than one box that wondered why our boxes were suddenly 'syncing up' when they were completely separate entities in the past. With one simple call, that I had to escalate up to "Danielle" (a customer service 'supervisor), I boggled her mind with a couple of very simple questions like: "If I leave VUDU for whatever reason I choose, what happens to the over $5,000 worth of movies that my family has "purchased", and I "own"?... Guess what? she didn't know how to answer because no one had 'prepped her' properly.
    Then I asked: "Are the 400 movies that I purchased, that were downloaded on to my two 500 capacity box's hard-drives two weeks ago, still there?"... She replied: "Yes there still there, but you just can't access them without an internet connection"...
    Now call me old fashioned guys... and I'm not as tech-savvy as you younger guys...
    But if I have to have a VUDU account...
    And have to have an internet connection to view my 'purchased' movies.... Then they aren't REALLY on my hard-drives anymore...
    Therefore they aren't what I signed on for anymore...
    And have had in my home, for my family, for over two years.... are they?

THEY STOLE OUR MOVIES GUYS, AND THEY DON"T EXPECT ANY OF US TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!

Now if you want to help fight them then hit me back...
    If not, then sit back, shut up.
    And those of us with backbone, those of us that fought for YOUR rights twice for our Country, and to protect the rights of all of us from corporate #@*&# exactly like this... will take on VUDU, Walmart, and the rest of the idiots that thought this was "just going to go away" for you.

dh1960

Re: Wake up everyone!

This is why I won't collect movies through a system like this. If I buy a movie, I want an actual copy on disc, tape or whatever else I can play. I can see electronic delivery replacing rentals, but it shouldn't replace regular media for collecting.

We've already seen that purchases CAN and WILL be taken away- Vudu had adult videos but got rid of them a few months ago. Those who purchased them before can no longer watch them, though at least they got their money back- this time. I'm wondering what happens to purchases if the movie studio decides to place a title on moratorium? Disney loves to do that- the Toy Story movies were out of print on disc for a few years, I see they now have them for sale on Vudu (for more than what you could buy the Blu-Ray discs for). What if those go out of print in the next year or so- if you buy them on Vudu now, will you still be able to stream them infinitely, or will Disney force them to take the movies offline?

I'll use Vudu for rentals, but if it's a movie I like I'm buying it on Blu-Ray. I won't pay to 'rent' the same movie more than once either- a large number of Paramount titles are out of print on DVD but are still available on Vudu and Amazon VOD. I'm suspecting they want the industry to move towards that model, but I won't support that.

Comment

Yeah, I don't buy anything digitally that I can't make a personal backup of. Even iTunes will let you burn purchases to a CD which I can then rip to my external hard drive for safe keeping. Same with software purchases. I only rent from vudu because there is no way to protect my purchase.

I do empathize with the OP. He has purchased multiple STB's from Vudu, meaning he was one of their early adopters without which Vudu never would have gotten to their streaming model. He placed his faith in them and feels betrayed. I have no idea if the claim is accurate or not (i.e., purchased movies have been wiped off the hd of the stb with the Brazil upgrade) because I don't purchase to my STB. But at a minimum I would hope someone from Vudu weighs in on this thread and addresses his concerns.

Comment

I'm on the fence on this one to be honest. In my view he still owns the movies and he doesn't have to spend any additional money to watch the movies (other than what he has to pay to access the internet but arguing that is like arguing that you don't own a CD because you have to pay for the power to run your CD player so don't go there) so I'm not sure how solid the argument really is.

On the other hand - I kind-of see his piont. Before this change all he needed to do was apply power to the unit and connect it to a TV and he could watch the movies he had purchased.

But I'm willing to bet that there is some fine print somewhere that protects them against this.

It's a loosing battle and unless he can show that he's been financially impaired by this move then he doesn't have much of a case.

But I'm a bean-counter for crying out loud... what do I know about the law?

Comment

Originally posted by raaurora View Post
          Yeah, I don't buy anything digitally that I can't make a personal backup of. Even iTunes will let you burn purchases to a CD which I can then rip to my external hard drive for safe keeping. Same with software purchases. I only rent from vudu because there is no way to protect my purchase.

I do empathize with the OP. He has purchased multiple STB's from Vudu, meaning he was one of their early adopters without which Vudu never would have gotten to their streaming model. He placed his faith in them and feels betrayed. I have no idea if the claim is accurate or not (i.e., purchased movies have been wiped off the hd of the stb with the Brazil upgrade) because I don't purchase to my STB. But at a minimum I would hope someone from Vudu weighs in on this thread and addresses his concerns.
          I, for one, do purchase movies on VUDU and so far, it's been ok......I harp about the ability to store movies locally all the time.....I have the original set-top box as well......I can understand the OP's point though.....I know I am taking a risk when I purchase a film..I by no means have my head in the sand either, I know full well what I am doing......

In my case movies have not been wiped off the hard drive with the upgrade to Brazil.....I just wonder, how much of this is the fault of VUDU and how much is it studio greed and control? I have to admit owning in the digital realm is different from owning a physical disc..As far as ITunes allowing a CD to be burnt, the music industry has somewhat seen the light....The movie industry still thinks they have us by the b***,s, but they are going to get a rude awakening in the not too distant future....Hopefully, they will see the light and allow for fair use of the content......

Try reading the VUDU TOS, it will make your head spin........I was an early adopter of the service and found it enticing because of the electronic sell-thru aspect of it...It is an interesting debate, ownership via disc and ownership via the cloud...In my situation the box feeds a large screen projection system, I do not move it....The streaming function works flawlessly, I can just go to the movie, as I stated in another post, none of that garbage you sometimes have to sit thru before the movie starts when a disc is used...I also have my best films stored to the hard drive...I've never had a problem with being able to view any of my purchased films, even when they were out of window, I tried several that I knew were out of window, I was able to access them.....I honestly feel that if electronic sell-thru is going to work, the studios need to change their business model to one similar to the music industry...

Comment

The OP and I had a substantial phone conversation today. I want to thank him and our other customers that have provided feedback and concerns on the recent set-top box software update.

We take your concerns very seriously and are actively engaged in conversations on how to address the issues raised. We are working on a few bug fixes and will have a software update that resolves some of your concerns shortly. Other concerns require additional investigation, but please be assured we are working to address the issues in the most fair and timely way possible.

Please check back on this forum thread for updates. Dan (your forum moderator) will post release notes when we send out the next version of software to identify what has been addressed.

Best,
            Danielle | Director, Service Operations

Comment

Danielle,

Thanks for the response, I guess the main concern here is the ability to use our boxes to view movies w/o having a 'Net connection, and to store films locally.....I am confident VUDU will do all it can to address these issues......As paranoid as the studios are about piracy, I hope Walmart/VUDU can pull some strings to allow FAIR USE of content we purchase....

Thanks,

Don

Comment

Danielle,

Thanks for the response, I guess the main concern here is the ability to use our boxes to view movies w/o having a 'Net connection, and to store films locally.....I am confident VUDU will do all it can to address these issues......As paranoid as the studios are about piracy, I hope Walmart/VUDU can pull some strings to allow FAIR USE of content we purchase....

Thanks,

Don

P.S., here is an interesting article on this subject:

http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/2851

Comment

Hi Danielle

Over on the general discussion board there are a couple of threads on an issue with the STB's running the new Brazil software. Even with no or very few movies downloaded, the STB's think their hard drives are full. There was supposedly a fix coming but it has been a number of weeks now. Do you have any insight on this?

thanks

Comment

Our team is still working to resolve this bug, I will try and find out if there are any updates on monday.
                    ________
                    Last edited by JohnA; 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by raaurora View Post
                      Hi Danielle

There was supposedly a fix coming but it has been a number of weeks now. Do you have any insight on this?

thanks
                      Good news. We're in the final stretch of testing the fix for the "hard drive full" issue. Barring any unforseen issues, we should have this deployed by the end of next week.

We also should be able to give an update by the end of next week on the issue of playback without an Internet connection.

Thanks everyone for your patience as we work on these items!

Comment

Originally posted by DanielleS View Post
                        Good news. We're in the final stretch of testing the fix for the "hard drive full" issue. Barring any unforseen issues, we should have this deployed by the end of next week.

We also should be able to give an update by the end of next week on the issue of playback without an Internet connection.

Thanks everyone for your patience as we work on these items!
                        Danielle,

This IS good news, particularly the second item......I hope local storage for purchases is the solution.....It would eliminate the issue of ISP's capping service, providers going out of business, Internet shut down by gov't, etc...... Thanks for the update......

Comment

For the HDD Full issue, we did encounter an issue while testing. We have it fixed, but we're not ready to deploy it to everyone this week. However, if you have this issue and an interest in testing the solution (likely this weekend), please send a PM to JohnA.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielleS View Post
                            Please be advised that by the end of January 2011 we will update the software on VUDU set-top boxes to restore offline playback capabilities for movies purchased and downloaded prior to October 13, 2010.

For movies purchased after October 13, 2010, VUDU is unable to support offline viewing. However, you will continue to be able to view newly purchased movies with an active Internet connection. In addition, you will continue to enjoy access to all of the new features added by the October 2010 software update, including VUDU Apps, streaming HDX movies, coming attractions, and social media connections.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact VUDU Customer Support at support@vudu.com.

Thank you for your patience as we have worked to resolve these technical issues.

Best, Danielle

Comment

I don't know who JohnA is or how to PM him....but I'll be a tester for the HDD full issue....it's a week after the last post and still no resolution.

Comment

Working...
                              X