Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Star Wars Digital Collection worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars Digital Collection worth it?

I want to get the definitive versions of the Star Wars movies (though I'd prefer the theatrical versions) and I just found Vudu and the Digital Collection, but Vudu isn't very specific on what anything is, such as HDX (BluRay or DVD?), HD (720p or 1080p or 480p?), and what exactly each movie includes.

I want to know what people's experience are with their purchase(s) of any of the movies in this collection or the entire collection, since I can't find any user reviews. Thanks.

PS: Pardon me if I'm being a noob.

Re: Star Wars Digital Collection worth it?

Originally posted by dhinged View Post
    I want to get the definitive versions of the Star Wars movies (though I'd prefer the theatrical versions) and I just found Vudu and the Digital Collection, but Vudu isn't very specific on what anything is, such as HDX (BluRay or DVD?), HD (720p or 1080p or 480p?), and what exactly each movie includes.

I want to know what people's experience are with their purchase(s) of any of the movies in this collection or the entire collection, since I can't find any user reviews. Thanks.

PS: Pardon me if I'm being a noob.

Star Wars has been released multiple times, with multiple versions, across multiple formats. The only way to get the original theatrical versions is to buy an old format like LaserDisc (for example). Subsequent releases have been newer "revised" or "special edition" versions, many of which were ALSO theatrical as well since they were updated by Lucas and released in theaters.

Vudu clearly shows you can buy in "HD" or "HDX" versions, both the same price so get HDX. They also state the bonus material such as "deleted scenes", "conversations with xxx", etc.

The exact "cut" of the films isn't clear, but the disc releases are always clear either. Basically whatever version is available is the only one thats available. Lucas has made comments in the past about never ever releasing the original versions again, and many has commented it might even be possible to get back to the originals anymore. Now with Disney owning, and many unclear details of the sale, who knows if it's be better or worse.

FYI I bought the bundle myself and I grew up with the original cuts.

Comment

Han still doesn't shoot first.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
        Star Wars has been released multiple times, with multiple versions, across multiple formats.
        Yes, I know; that's why I mentioned I'd prefer the theatrical versions.

The only way to get the original theatrical versions is to buy an old format like LaserDisc (for example). Subsequent releases have been newer "revised" or "special edition" versions, many of which were ALSO theatrical as well since they were updated by Lucas and released in theaters.
        Thank you. I did find that the LaserDisc original theatrical version was widescreen (the same version on the 2004 DVD bonus discs, which is adequate for me; I don't mind resizing my screen just because it's in non-anamorphic widescreen, and I don't mind the picture quality as I saw the original theatrical versions on VHS and in theaters as a child, so I don't remember them much anyways (which is partly why I want to see the original versions).

Vudu clearly shows you can buy in "HD" or "HDX" versions, both the same price so get HDX. They also state the bonus material such as "deleted scenes", "conversations with xxx", etc.
        Yes, I can see Vudu clearly shows the HD and HDX versions, that's what I mentioned in my original post. I also did notice the bonus materials, but I was looking for what exactly each movie includes (movie meaning the actual movies released in theaters) because it didn't specify which version or screen resolution they were (such as 720p or 1080p etc).

The exact "cut" of the films isn't clear, but the disc releases are[n't] always clear either.
        As far as cut goes, DVDs will specify the aspect ratio and you already know if it's 480p or 720p or 1080p by its format, and generally Blu-Ray will state the resolution height or whether it's HD/Full HD (720p/1080p). They may not however specify which "movie version" but usually do in my experience (Special Edition, Widescreen, Unrated, Director's, etc).

Basically whatever version is available is the only one thats available.
        I'm supposing you mean "whatever version the studio/publisher is officially selling at this time", which I discovered is only Lucas' "final" versions of the movies.

Lucas has made comments in the past about never ever releasing the original versions again, and many has commented it might even be possible to get back to the originals anymore. Now with Disney owning, and many unclear details of the sale, who knows if it's be better or worse.
        Thanks, I read later an interview with him where he said he has the original film but will never release or restore them again in any format. Even the Library of Congress has said the versions he submitted were not the originals and have rejected them. Hopefully one of his kin will come to their senses if allowed and allow the film to be restored properly and released in a consumer-friendly format.

FYI I bought the bundle myself and I grew up with the original cuts.
        I've seen every Star Wars movie in the theater as it was originally presented, but during the first I was a baby, and I only remember watching Return of the Jedi of the original three in the theater, and the others were on VHS. I did watch the originals years ago when I was less concerned about the characters and plot, and was blown away to see Han shooting first (ahem, I mean, Han being the only one who shot), and it sort of made his character and relationship with Leia in Empire Strikes Back less believable and more cheesy (I blame the writers and directors of that film for the latter, as his moxy in the original Greedo scene is unique to Han). I now want to watch them again, preferably in widescreen in the best possible picture quality I can get, just to get a grasp of the original characters and plots the way they were originally released.

Thanks for the words; I watched The Phantom Edit last week, I'm currently finishing up Empire Strikes Back (Lucas' final version), will watch Jedi today and then go see The Force Awakens, then I will likely watch the Despecialized version next week.

Comment

Thanks for the words; I watched The Phantom Edit last week, I'm currently finishing up Empire Strikes Back (Lucas' final version), will watch Jedi today and then go see The Force Awakens, then I will likely watch the Despecialized version next week.
          The Despecialized editions will give you the best quality of the original un-altered versions of the original trilogy. They are 720p versions.

Comment

Vudu isn't very specific on what anything is, such as HDX (BluRay or DVD?), HD (720p or 1080p or 480p?)
            I know this is a late response, but this part is more a Vudu question than Star Wars: It's the maximum resolution available at this price thru Vudu: UHD, 2160p (also called "4K", IMO incorrectly); HDX, 1080p; HD, 720p; SD, 480p. (Nominally SD is the equivalent of DVD, HDX of Blu-ray, and UHD of the 4K/Ultra HD Blu-ray format coming in March; but higher compression ratios generally limit streaming quality.) Each level includes lower resolutions for devices that won't handle the full resolution; for example, any of these will work for pre-Lollipop Android devices, where Vudu is limited to SD by DRM restrictions (Lollipop & higher can go to HDX).

For purchases, HDX & HD are generally the same price because the industry shared-license services (UltraViolet for the original film whose rights remain with Fox, Disney Movies Anywhere for the others) treat both as HD; it's usually better to buy at Vudu in HDX than HD so you won't have to rebuy for full quality on 1080p devices. (HD licenses imported from UV or DMA into Vudu usually become HDX here.) Rentals are NOT shared with UV or DMA, so HDX rentals are usually more expensive than HD.

Of course, there is one more "quality" issue that all official Star Wars digital releases (except the original film) have: Since Disney owns the digital rights to those 5 films, the Fox logo & fanfare have been stripped from the Vudu versions. This does NOT apply to the original film (which Fox controls for the foreseeable future), any physical media (Fox controls those rights for the original in perpetuity and for the other five thru 2020), or of course the Despecialized Editions. This is a significant annoyance not only because it's yet another alteration from the Star Wars we all remember, but also to film preservationists who are generally opposed to ANY change from the original logo; John Williams has also said he wrote the Star Wars theme's opening key to match the Fox fanfare.
            Last edited by RBBrittain; 01-15-2016, 08:14 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

Originally posted by RBBrittain View Post
              For purchases, HDX & HD are generally the same price because the industry shared-license services (UltraViolet for the original film whose rights remain with Fox, Disney Movies Anywhere for the others) treat both as HD; it's usually better to buy at Vudu in HDX than HD so you won't have to rebuy for full quality on 1080p devices.
              Oddly, I remember spotting one or two movies that had an HD price that was cheaper than both the SD and HDX prices (It was like $13.99 for SD and HDX and $9.99 for HD). That made me scratch my head.

Comment

I want to know what people's experience are with their purchase(s) of any of the movies in this collection or the entire collection, since I can't find any user reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by mukesh74 View Post
                  I want to know what people's experience are with their purchase(s) of any of the movies in this collection or the entire collection, since I can't find any user reviews.
                  I expected digital copies of all six Star Wars movies as they had never been available in digital before and it was one of the few (major) titles I still had left only on Blu-Ray and not Vudu. I received the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X