Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - All Episodes Replaced With Terrible HD Remastered Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - All Episodes Replaced With Terrible HD Remastered Version

I purchased the Vudu bundle for Buffy back in late 2017. Just yesterday I clicked to watch the show and to my absolute horror I found that Vudu has removed all of the episodes I had been watching for years and decided to replace them with the infamous HD remaster that Fox created back in 2014. This remaster is widely known to have many issues and the general consensus among fans as well as people who worked on the show is that it's absolutely terrible and unwatchable!

The show has been forced into widescreen instead of the original 4:3 version, early season 1 episodes are cropped and zoomed in to create this false widescreen image, everything looks too up close and much of the picture on the top and bottom has been cropped off, so we are seeing less of the image than before. The color correction doesn't match the original version of the show, dark scenes are now too bright and the overuse of Digital Noise Reduction has made all the faces look like plastic!

This is NOT the version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer that I purchased when I decided to buy the show and this is completely unacceptable to just switch the files on Buffy fans like this without our permission. The episodes are not even in HD, they are SD only but using the terrible HD remastered source material, just like Amazon has been doing for years in the US for Prime Video.

The presentation of the show from these new masters is not by any means an upgrade at all, it's a complete downgrade in quality! I urge anyone who has purchased a single episode, season, or the entire series of Buffy to complain endlessly to Vudu to get the original version of Buffy restored, this HD remaster is absolutely hideous and offensive and I do not want it!

I don't want to hear any nonsense from Fandango blaming this switch on the studio, fans who purchased this show deserve better. They need to contact Disney and demand the original digital files back! This needs to get fixed as soon as possible so I can resume my rewatch of the series properly!

What has just happened here is a perfect example of why you shouldn't buy anything digitally. I buy the series on Vudu, I'm told I "Own It" yet I have no control over it. Vudu can just swap out the files any time they feel like it and replace it with any version they want, it's ludicrous!

If this doesn't get fixed I'm done spending money on TV shows digitally here. DVD discs may be more inconvenient but at least they'll never be switched out on you behind your back, like the fast one Vudu has just pulled over on Buffy fans! To secretly switch out the original digital files of the show like this without any notice or consent is shameful! And to replace the show with a version everyone knows is cheap and hideous shows Vudu has no idea what it's doing, those of us who paid for this show deserve better! This inferior source material needs to go! Bring back the original Buffy now please!

Without reading all that. There was similar issues with the disc release and people had similar reaction.

People complained about Simpsons 4:3 episodes being zoomed in to make them 16:9 initially before FOX fixed it on streaming.

Comment

Best wishes with your issue.

Comment

I contacted Vudu customer support about this issue two weeks ago and haven't heard a single response back yet, other than the immediate automated reply you get saying your ticket has been created of course, which means nothing. Before Fandango took over Vudu any support ticket you created for issues like this were answered within a couple of days. It's obvious now that Fandango cares nothing about customer support, first they sneakily swap out all of the Buffy digital files I purchased and supposedly 'own' with horribly inferior copies that have been widely criticized for years. Then when I send in a formal complaint about it it just goes ignored for weeks. Nobody from Vudu who reads these boards has even bothered to look into the issue or give any response here.

I think it's pretty obvious now that it's only a matter of time before Vudu crashes and burns under this new Fandango management. You can't just screw things up and then ignore people when they complain, now Fandango just wants to take your money and ignore you when there is a problem, whether it's movies or shows you purchased or complaints about the horrible new app they designed and forced on everyone recently.

It's such a shame because Vudu used to be really great when it was still owned by Walmart. It's astounding how poor ownership and management can ruin an otherwise great company when the new people who come in and take charge do not care about customer satisfaction at all.

Anyone can go to: "https://www.facebook.com/BuffyHD/" and review the facebook page created by a fan of Buffy years ago who goes into great detail all of the things wrong with this horrible Buffy HD remastered version. You'll quickly see how terribly, lazily and cheaply the job was done. Yes this is the version Fandango chose to force on us while deleting the original files if you can believe it! Anyone thinking about purchasing "Buffy The Vampire Sayer" on Vudu DON'T! Unless they take the time to address and correct this, if they ever get around to it.

Comment

As much as I agree, customer service has went to zero, I am not surprised. FNow had horrible customer service before the merge. I think Vudu and Fox should work together, along with the other retailers who replaced these transfers, but I don't really see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Wasteland View Post
            As much as I agree, customer service has went to zero, I am not surprised. FNow had horrible customer service before the merge. I think Vudu and Fox should work together, along with the other retailers who replaced these transfers, but I don't really see that happening.
            It's such a shame, for a new company to swoop in and buy Vudu and do things like this and just ignore everyone who has a complaint. It was the same thing with the new app design that everybody hated, they just forced it on everyone and didn't care. My guess is that even if Vudu (Fandango) does respond to this issue they will try to point the finger at the studio and say it was their fault even though the service provider is Vudu and the files were purchased and "owned" by users. I expect them to take no responsibility or action, I really hope I'm wrong. If they don't care at all Fandango should just sell Vudu to another company who does actually care about customer service.

Comment

So… I had the same issue. Watching episode 1 was migraine inducing. I suffered through it and popped some Tylenols. I cannot watch it so zoomed in. It is unwatchable.

You’ll be happy to know you can find the original aspect ratio version in HULU (for now anyway, Oct 2023) — however, the video quality is terrible. Dark scenes are a splotchy mess and it look like cd-video quality bitrate. I compared back to back w vudu. Vudu’s image is far cleaner, but simply unwatchable due to the zoomed in headache machine it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by jg0001 View Post
                So… I had the same issue. Watching episode 1 was migraine inducing. I suffered through it and popped some Tylenols. I cannot watch it so zoomed in. It is unwatchable.

You’ll be happy to know you can find the original aspect ratio version in HULU (for now anyway, Oct 2023) — however, the video quality is terrible. Dark scenes are a splotchy mess and it look like cd-video quality bitrate. I compared back to back w vudu. Vudu’s image is far cleaner, but simply unwatchable due to the zoomed in headache machine it is now.
                You are right, the episodes on Vudu now are completely unwatchable. It isn't just the cropping and zooming in to fake widescreen, the color correction and brightness is poor and the DNR overuse makes everyone's skin look fake. It's absolutely pathetic that it's been well over a year now since they switched the episodes to the terrible HD remastered versions (while still presenting the episodes in SD) and I've received not one single reply to my complaints on this issue.

I purchased this complete series a couple of years before they changed the episodes so I paid for the original version which Vudu said I "OWNED" then they just decide to swap out those original versions for an inferior copy and ignore all the complaints of a paying customer who gave them money for the episodes!

I haven't purchased or rented anything from Vudu since this happened and I will never give Vudu a cent of my money ever again! They effectively stole the videos I purchased and replaced them with junk files and then gave me the middle finger by not responding to any of my legitimate complaints over it or switch the files back to what I actually bought.

I said it before and I'll say it again, since Fandango purchased Vudu the service has gone in the toilet. If this had happened under the previous management before Fandango took over I at least would have gotten responses back from Vudu support because I've dealt with them before and they always responded quickly. Now this "New Vudu" will just steal your money and your purchased files without permission and ignore you completely when you don't accept it.

The HD remaster of Buffy is widely regarded as one of the worst remasters in history and it absolutely should not be here on a paid service! Vudu needs to contact the studio and get the original files back now, the original broadcast versions! But I doubt that will ever happen, I've learned my lesson here and won't give Vudu money ever again. Terrible company who doesn't care about the customers or the presentation of the videos they offer!

Comment

Working...
                X