Announcement

Collapse

Vudu Forum Guidelines

Vudu Forum Guidelines

The Vudu Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Vudu experience. Here, Vudu customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Vudu and Vudu -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Vudu customers with questions and/or problems with their VUDU service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Vudu Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Vudu Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Vudu reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Vudu products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Vudu retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Vudu Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Vudu products and services should be directed to Vudu customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Vudu, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Vudu a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Vudu desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Vudu will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Vudu is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Vudu the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Vudu for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Vudu takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU Announces 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU Announces 3D

Originally posted by dhatman View Post
    At this time 3D is unfortunately not supported by all devices. We will be adding more devices that are capable of 3D in the future.

Here is the current list:

? FUNAI (Magnavox and Sylvania) HDTVs and Blu-ray Players
    ? LG HDTVs and Blu-ray Players
    ? Mitsubishi HDTVs and Blu-ray Players
    ? Philips HDTVs and Blu-ray Players
    ? Select 2010 and 2011 Samsung HDTVs, Blu-ray Players and Blu-ray Home Theater Systems with Samsung Apps
    ? Sony PlayStation?3
    ? Toshiba HDTVs and Blu-ray Players
    ? VIZIO VIA HDTVs and Blu-ray Players
    ? Boxee Box by D-Link and Iomega TV with Boxee
    I have a VIZIO VIA HDTV that I just bought and vudu says that my 3D device is not supported at this time. Whats up?

Comment

Originally posted by VolkerS View Post
      Currently the only supported device manufacturers are Samsung and PS3. We are trying to get our updated firmware onto other devices but we are dependent on the firmware update policies by the TV and BDP manufacturers. It is very difficult for us to give you exact dates.

We should hopefully soon post a list of supported 3D devices and expected dates per manufacturer on this forum and/or in our FAQ list. Boxee will be the next device manufacturer to update to our 3D firmware. May be as soon as next week. Please wait for our official list in the FQA section.

Well I just went and bought a samsung 3d blu ray player cause you said vudu supported it and guess what BAM no 3d. I go to the vudu ap and it even has a place that says vudu 3d. When I click that icon it says no results. Now man you all need to fix your problems people are getting tired of this crap. I just bought a new blu ray player for nothing.

Comment

My latest communication with Vudu support:

I have deleted and reloaded Vudu yet again. Ran vudu speedtest on my laptop (all of this is done through the same wireless uverse router) Got 7.742 Mbps download, 1.48 upload. Ran network check on my PS3 and got 7.7 Mbps download, 1.4 upload. Checked speed using vudu app on PS3 with poor results. During the speedtest, it bounced around between 1.5 and 4.5. Ran the test mutiple times with the same erratic results. I even ran the test on my laptop, while running it on the PS3 Vudu app. Laptop vudu speedtest ran at 6.058 Mbps while the speedtest via the PS3 using the Vudu app continued to be erratic (1.5 to 3.5 Mbps (as measured on the green bar in the speed test). My conclusion is the problem lies, not with ATT Uverse, but with the your app on the PS3. Perhaps Sony is the culprit?
        Hope this helps. It is very frustrating for me. I tried playing Capote at HDX with the expected results, constant buffering. I'll leave the app on my PS3 for the time being, but, until this issue is resolved, there is no point in renting movies from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          The PS3 only supports HDMI 1.4-based 3D via frame packing (every other frame of 60P signal) - this is what the VUDU (and all 3D-capable PS3 games) uses.
          Wait! While the connection from a PS3 may be 1.4, I really doubt vudu is using frame packing because that would mean Internet transmission of 1080p60.

That would be double the bandwidth it now uses!

I would assume vudo transmits either 1080p24 or at the most 1080p30. Which means the side-by-side format. This what cable is doing to keep compatibility. There is no need to match BD quality IMHO.

Any 3D tv should be able to convert side-by-side to whatever system it uses. For Mitsubishi 3D Ready sets, you need to buy a box that converts whatever comes in to checkerboard.

If I'm right, then if one is using a BD player there is no need for a firmware change because a vudu stream iS decoded to a side-by-side signal which can pass over HDMI 1.3. This is how a cable box works. No need to use HDMI 4.

The only reason a BD player would need new firmware is if IT were going to do the conversion of side-by-side to frame-packed to be transmitted to a tv over HDMI 1.4.

Hopefully, when you get a warning you can CONTINUE so that whatever is being sent is passes through ones BD play to the tv.

Comment

We encode 3D in L/R or T/B (depending on what is better for the source material) - but the PS3 currently only supports 3D output via 720p60 frame-packing. The source is converted before being output to the TV.

And an important reason for firmware updates to other platforms/BD players (besides any HDMI 1.4 support required) is that even with a L/R 3D format the UI also has to be drawn correctly over the video (doubled), or it will look like a mess in 3D mode...

Originally posted by Dvcinlv View Post
            Wait! While the connection from a PS3 may be 1.4, I really doubt vudu is using frame packing because that would mean Internet transmission of 1080p60.

That would be double the bandwidth it now uses!

I would assume vudo transmits either 1080p24 or at the most 1080p30. Which means the side-by-side format. This what cable is doing to keep compatibility. There is no need to match BD quality IMHO.

Any 3D tv should be able to convert side-by-side to whatever system it uses. For Mitsubishi 3D Ready sets, you need to buy a box that converts whatever comes in to checkerboard.

If I'm right, then if one is using a BD player there is no need for a firmware change because a vudu stream iS decoded to a side-by-side signal which can pass over HDMI 1.3. This is how a cable box works. No need to use HDMI 4.

The only reason a BD player would need new firmware is if IT were going to do the conversion of side-by-side to frame-packed to be transmitted to a tv over HDMI 1.4.

Hopefully, when you get a warning you can CONTINUE so that whatever is being sent is passes through ones BD play to the tv.

Comment

In response to the guy who had AT&T U-Verse and posted above, I have U-Verse and on speedtest.net I get 17.5 consistently on my speedtests. On my PS3 Connection tests I get at least 9-10 mbps. Netflix streams fine on my PS3 as well, on the Vudu website I get decent results but on their app I get an average recommendation of the HD setting. I e-mailed Vudu support and they responded by saying that AT&T blocks the ports and you have to pay extra to have them unblocked for streaming. I called AT&T U-verse and worked my way up to a 2nd tier agent who proceeded to tell me that that was completely untrue and they aren't blocking anything in regards to that (I would have even paid to have them unblocked). Also why would I be able to stream from Netflix just fine and everywhere else but the Vudu app? It has to be a Vudu server or app issue. I forwarded the ports suggested in this forum and would be a very great customer especially since Vudu has 3d and they also stream 1080p if they could actually get their PS3 app working. I also have a Panasonic Blu-ray player with Vudu app but I haven't tried it yet. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know as I would love to use this service. Vudu Tech support didn't even have correct information so hopefully someone can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                We encode 3D in L/R or T/B (depending on what is better for the source material) - but the PS3 currently only supports 3D output via 720p60 frame-packing. The source is converted before being output to the TV.

And an important reason for firmware updates to other platforms/BD players (besides any HDMI 1.4 support required) is that even with a L/R 3D format the UI also has to be drawn correctly over the video (doubled), or it will look like a mess in 3D mode...
                Thank you for your answer.

1) can both types of signal pass through as 1920x1080?

2) if so, the issue is whether one gets half horizontal or half vertical resolution -- correct?

3) It seems to me that once 3d media begins one can switch ones Mitsubishi box to 3d and when it ends one can switch back to 2d. So there really is no need to SEE your GUI in 3d. I just press the button on the box when appropriate.

So if i want to work this way, can all devices simply send your 1920x1080 signal via HDMI 1.3 to their Mitsubishi box? Or, will vudu check for firmware and refuse to pass the signal? It seems to me a user should have the option to see a 2d warning and ignore it and get the feed. That would free you from having to do firmware. And, the majority of users to have to wait!

I suspect that just as the Mitsubishi box has a switch, real 3d HDTVs also have a button on the remote control to enter/leave 3d mode.

Comment

Has the support for the Mits WD-65738 been added yet?

really looking forward to using this service!!

jake

Comment

Any word on the Mitsubishi WD-65738 being compatible?

Comment

Mitsubishi is working on it. But we don't have a date yet for when they will have VUDU 3D support ready.
                      Hagen.

Comment

At 3 A M Pacific, I ran Vudu speedtest on my laptop and got over 17 Mbps. Reloaded the app on my PS3. It took only 12 sec to load and 10 to install. Version 1.01 took even less time to load and install. Speed test on the PS3 was 6.9 Mbps and the speed test on the Vudu app was the same. I guess if I want to watch movies at 3 A.M, I'm in business. I will check the results later today.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that the 3D options do not appear as an option any longer? Confused

Comment

Originally posted by Tarkusman View Post
                            Has anyone noticed that the 3D options do not appear as an option any longer? Confused
                            I'm sure everybody concerned has noticed. I guess it's "back to the drawing board." Obviously there is some kind of delay and/or problem(s). I just wish VUDU would keep us posted!

Comment

VUDU has a great service and I choose it over all others that I have available. Service providers, (all of them), don't realize how important it is to keep the customer appraised of changes, problems and pertinant info affecting the service in which we pay for. Hey; VUDU, what is going on? 3D or no 3D?

Comment

i would guess a lot of bumps in the road getting to vudu 3D reality.
                                possibily legal issues also. studios are very protective of content.
                                im just glad hd hdx are offered. Toss in that i believe wal-mart
                                now owns vudu and may face opposition from other would-be 3D
                                streaming companies i.e. netflix & amazon.
                                What to charge has to be an issue too, especially after the studios
                                add in their desired cut. Then vudu has to deal with the manufacting
                                companies to go along.
                                I see quite a wait before 3D streaming actually happens.
                                At least in this case.

Comment

Working...
                                X