Announcement

Collapse

Vudu Forum Guidelines

Vudu Forum Guidelines

The Vudu Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Vudu experience. Here, Vudu customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Vudu and Vudu -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Vudu customers with questions and/or problems with their Vudu service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Vudu Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Vudu Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Vudu reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Vudu products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Vudu retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Vudu Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Vudu products and services should be directed to Vudu customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Vudu, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Vudu a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Vudu desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Vudu will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Vudu is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Vudu the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Vudu for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Vudu takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

High Price of 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepper
    replied
    Re: High Price of 3D

My apologies in advance for the rant that follows.

The movie studios killed 3D for home use, and they did it because of greed.

1. Release 2D Blu-ray and DVD on the same day. Wait weeks/months/years before releasing in 3D.
    2. Don't give people who already bought the 2D an option to upgrade. Put the 3D in "special edition" packs containing 2D Blu-ray and DVD copies, so anybody who bought the 2D version to see it in a timely manner ends up buying all the same stuff again, plus a single 3D disc.
    3. For good measure, make those "special editions" exclusive to one or two retailers and raise the price to reflect their rarity.
    4. As we have seen here, make it so that redemption codes from 3D movies redeem only in 2D, forcing the consumer to pay again if they want 3D streaming.
    5. After the inevitable collapse of demand, and all TV manufacturers stop making 3D sets, stop releasing 3D at all in US. Force people to hunt down grey-market imported discs such as my UK Beauty and Beast (2017) 3D.

I thought all that was bad enough and then I read some technical details. A little known fact is that there is no real requirement that a 3D Blu-ray disc be played on a 3D player. If mastered correctly, the same disc can play the movie in either 3D or 2D on a 3D player, or 2D on non-3D player. That popup message saying this disc requires a 3D player and TV is an artificial restriction for the sole purpose of selling more discs.

If the studios wanted 3D to succeed, they would have made their mass-market packages a 3D/2D Blu-ray and DVD bundle as before. Anyone who bought Blu-ray discs would not have to buy new ones if they got a 3D TV and 3D player.

Leave a comment:

• pratikdhar
    replied

It will be great if we can get 3D version of the movie as Instawatch, or we had more 3D/3'wD disc+digital bundles like Vudu did for Angry Birds 3D.

Leave a comment:

• xxxsdesdexxx
    replied

Looks like some Fox and DreamWorks 3D titles are now a little cheaper than they previously were.

$21.99

How to Train your Dragon 2
    Penguins of Madagascar
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    Rio 2
    Mr. Peabody and Sherman
    Exodus: Gods and Kings

$19.99

The Croods
    Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
    Turbo
    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    Walking With Dinosaurs

Leave a comment:

• jackwalker
    replied

I would on occasion buy a DVD for thirty dollars but I can only think of one I paid more than that for. Sullivan's Travels.

Leave a comment:

• jeffpn
    replied

I never said Vudu's pricing model is simple or flexible. Vudu has no reason to offer a title at $30 unless there are people actually paying it. I'm only going off common sense here. Why would any company bother to offer a product at a price where it wasn't profitable, and too few people are buying to make it worth the company's effort? It makes more sense not to offer the product at all. My main point in any of these "Vudu charges too much" threads is that Vudu, like every other company, knows how their product is selling. They see the numbers. They know how many customers are buying. That information will always outweigh the people, however numerous, who post in forums, stating that their prices are too high. If consumers want prices to go down, consumers have to stop buying.

Leave a comment:

• MaxH
    replied

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
    Vudu wouldn't charge $30 for a movie if people weren't paying it. Their hands are tied more than us customers would understand. Do you think Vudu should charge less than what they have to pay the studios to provide the movie? Do you know what their terms are? I always wonder why all of the Vudu pricing experts are customers instead of employees.
    Yes, they would, and you answer why in your own post. Their hands are tied, in that not only do they get a small profit on each sale or rental, but they have offered deals and discounts before and had to rescind them because the license owner objected to the drop in price, and they apparently have the final say on Vudu's final price. Note that the license owner is not necessarily the studio that either released the movie in the theater or distributed it on physical media (disc); the studios often use middlemen for that, so that sometimes different cuts of the same movie can be licensed by different entities, hence why sometimes a "theatrical cut" is UV but the "director's cut" of the same movie is not.

Also, remember that these studios make a LOT more money on the theatrical release and on the physical media release than they do on the EST release. Many of them still consider EST as cannibalizing their physical media sales, and approach the streaming market with fear and trepidation. This is why we still have "blackouts" when movies are shown on premium cable channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.).

So no, I don't know what Vudu's contract terms are either, but I know that their pricing model is not as simple or as flexible as you keep stating it is.

Leave a comment:

• jeffpn
    replied

Originally posted by kingdm9 View Post
    well customer feedback is always helpful and VUDU can reply the message back to the studios
    Of course Vudu, like any other company, likes to get customer feedback. Don't forget that Vudu (and the studios) also have numbers. They know how much money their titles are generating. That speaks volumes more than a customer or two per week who says that prices are too high. If they feel that the titles aren't generating enough revenue, they may lower the prices. If customers are paying for the titles at a rate that makes them happy, the prices will stay where they're at.

Leave a comment:

• kingdm9
    replied

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
    Vudu wouldn't charge $30 for a movie if people weren't paying it. Their hands are tied more than us customers would understand. Do you think Vudu should charge less than what they have to pay the studios to provide the movie? Do you know what their terms are? I always wonder why all of the Vudu pricing experts are customers instead of employees.
    well customer feedback is always helpful and VUDU can reply the message back to the studios
    I to think the 3D prices are ridiculous high but it is also the only way to get a digital copy in your cloud unless more companies start offering it .So far the only other I know of is 3DGO but not sure if you can buy or just rent(Haven't use it). I have 2 in flixster but they dont play in 3D but come up as 3D (Top Gun & Nurse- They also didn't import as 3D to VUDU)

maybe in the future things will change , but it would be nice to have a 3D sale once in a while and keep those bundles coming !!!

also would be nice to see some paramount 3d movies

Leave a comment:

• jeffpn
    replied

Originally posted by GlitterOutlaw View Post
    the only reason 3D isnt bigger is the high price nobody gonna pay 30-40 bucks for a movie lol

i hope whoever dictactes this needs wake up and smell the movie, lower price youll make more money by volume, period.

Leave a comment:

• GlitterOutlaw
    replied

I agree the price is way too high for Digital content only, another big issue of mine is buying 3D bluray but the Digital copy is non-3D we should get both version from vudu.

the only reason 3D isnt bigger is the high price nobody gonna pay 30-40 bucks for a movie lol

i hope whoever dictactes this needs wake up and smell the movie, lower price youll make more money by volume, period.

Leave a comment:

• VectorRoll
    replied

Originally posted by bubbafuzz View Post
    I never bought into the 3D home stuff, but recently needed to get a new tv and the tv that had a good price and picture just happened to also be 3d. I don't own a 3d blu ray player, but netflix has some 3d content for free with membership so I checked it out. And I love it, not so much their selection but I do enjoy home 3d. I agree with the others here though, they are killing themselves on getting people to switch to 3d. I don't intend to buy a 3d player, I prefer streaming. I purchased a 3d movie at the store with ultraviolet thinking it'd be available streamed in 3d since vudu does that. I wish I read here where only sony includes the 3d version, I'm rather upset they don't state on the box if the ultraviolet includes the version you are paying for. If I had known about it, i'd have just bought the 3d version on vudu and not bothered with a disc at all. And they (studios) wonder why people pirate movies! I'm not angry at vudu, I know they don't have a say in how the studios market their discs. Just feeling a bit angry for overpaying for a normal version.
    I sort of wish that all 3D movies I buy that come cobo'ed with Digital Copies also had a code for 3D Digital Copies. I do not think I have one yet that did that and I have 80+ 3D Blurays. I have heard instances where some have redeemed their digital copies and got a 3D copy instead of 2D. But I have not been that lucky. Even with the same version of movies they had it happen in.

I am with everyone else on this subject of pricing for 3D Movies in VUDU. We should get the Streaming version equivalent to what we can get outside of the service. From a business perspective it will just make customers buy the movies elsewhere and just redeem them here so that VUDU would only be getting royalties for the redemption. If they do get royalties or something for them.
    Personally though I actually prefer the Bluray 3D versions of movies for a few reasons outside price for value. I think they actually look and sound better than the streaming versions and the main reason being I do not have to rely on the Internet to see them whenever I want. Many times when I use the streaming service for when I travel the places I go do not have a good enough Internet connection to actually play the movies in 3D let alone some HD versions. So I often get my 3D movies as physical copies. That is for when I actually want to own them. AS far as renting goes, VUDU is a great service for renting 3D movies to see if you may like to buy them down the line. My VUDU Collection keeps growing and most of late were conversion of my older movies and up-converting them to HD. It is great to have my current collection added to the my Streaming library. But If I saw deals on movies in VUDU that would make me want to purchase them through their service instead I would go for it. AS far as the price of some 3D movies go it is just a better deal to get them outside the service. So that just puts it over the top in my decision making for going that route with my 3D Movie Collection.

Leave a comment:

• bigsmack247
    replied

Originally posted by Arkwood View Post
    I would buy 3D if 2D HDX came with it. I pass on so many 3D movies because I mostly watch 2D but as I said I would pay that little extra for 3D like I did with Wonderful Oz
    I second that, but understand that it comes down to bundling options with the studios. Still, I didn't hesitate to buy the Winter Soldier 3D/2D pack, but wish I hadn't bought Godzilla in 3D Only since only 1 devices supports 3D.

I've been anxiously waiting for Age of Extinction but, inexplicably, it only came out today in 2D offerings. I'll wait til it's out on Blu Ray so I can get the combo 2D/3D pack even though I'd much rather have it on Vudu.

Leave a comment:

• bubbafuzz
    replied

I never bought into the 3D home stuff, but recently needed to get a new tv and the tv that had a good price and picture just happened to also be 3d. I don't own a 3d blu ray player, but netflix has some 3d content for free with membership so I checked it out. And I love it, not so much their selection but I do enjoy home 3d. I agree with the others here though, they are killing themselves on getting people to switch to 3d. I don't intend to buy a 3d player, I prefer streaming. I purchased a 3d movie at the store with ultraviolet thinking it'd be available streamed in 3d since vudu does that. I wish I read here where only sony includes the 3d version, I'm rather upset they don't state on the box if the ultraviolet includes the version you are paying for. If I had known about it, i'd have just bought the 3d version on vudu and not bothered with a disc at all. And they (studios) wonder why people pirate movies! I'm not angry at vudu, I know they don't have a say in how the studios market their discs. Just feeling a bit angry for overpaying for a normal version.

Leave a comment:

• saber
    replied

It's not available with all the 3D movies, but VUDU sometimes offers a bundle that includes both the 3D and 2D versions for $35. Current examples are Ironman 3 and Oz the Great and Powerful...

With anything from Sony, I'd definitely still buy the 3D bluray versions as you can get them on sale, and Sony is the one studio I know about that has opted to have their UV codes redeem both 3D and HDX copies from VUDU.

Prices for a lot of the 3D titles will go down between Black Friday and Christmas. If the prices are set by the studios, maybe the VUDU versions will go down during that time as well...

Leave a comment:

• jeremymc7
    replied

Originally posted by mgdeak View Post
    It just seems like the studios are willing to let 3D flounder and die. Especially with old and substandard content. I almost bought John Carter 3D ( I actually liked it a lot ) on Vudu. I'm glad I didn't. For $35 I would have assumed SD, HD & HDX would have been included. Saved me a lot of aggravation reading about it here. Thanks.
    3D is the ONLY part of my collection (barring titles not available) that I don't have on Vudu.

There are many reasons:

Most titles on 3D bluray just not available on 3D Vudu
    3D bluray is typically much cheaper
    3D bluray typically comes as combo and better value
    3D bluray typically has same sound as 2D version, 3d Vudu doesn't always
    3d bluray can be preordered

At the current moment, its just sad to have to keep 3d titles isolated and for so many reasons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X