Announcement

Collapse

Vudu Forum Guidelines

Vudu Forum Guidelines

The Vudu Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Vudu experience. Here, Vudu customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Vudu and Vudu -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Vudu customers with questions and/or problems with their VUDU service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Vudu Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Vudu Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Vudu reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Vudu products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Vudu retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Vudu Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Vudu products and services should be directed to Vudu customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Vudu, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Vudu a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Vudu desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Vudu will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Vudu is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Vudu the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Vudu for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Vudu takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

No more streaming 3D releases?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    No more streaming 3D releases?

    I understand eschewing logistics for Blu-Ray 3D physical, I do not understand the logic behind refusing to take my money for something that already exists (3D stream). What nonsense is this? Hardware exists in the wild, previous software exists in the wild, and those prices... is Bizarro in charge of the 3D distribution channels? Do you want my money?

    #2
    3D is pretty much dead. It's hard trying to find a new TV with 3D capabilities as it is. Seems that 4k is the feature everyone is looking for nowadays.

    Comment


      #3
      For those of us with equipment and a desire to procure movies that are already available in 3D, it would make sense to still provide content for us to purchase. This seems like a lost revenue stream in my opinion.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by B2Net View Post
        For those of us with equipment and a desire to procure movies that are already available in 3D, it would make sense to still provide content for us to purchase. This seems like a lost revenue stream in my opinion.
        This exactly. I understand the move from 3D to UHD with regards to the TV and disc player manufacturers, but there are still 3D TVs in people's homes and those people have money for 3D content. That's why I can live with less and less physical Blu-Ray 3D releases (at least here in NA, ordered from the UK for the first time thanks to Thor Ragnarok and The Last Jedi), but considering the only cost of supply an alternative 3D streaming option is licensing and network storage I don't see why the studios, or Vudu, would want to shut off money coming in.

        Comment


          #5
          3D TV's are hard to come by these days but 3D projectors and 3D blu-ray players are still easy to come by. Likewise 3D Blu-Ray discs are still fairly common but streaming not so much. The odd thing is that outside of the US 3D is actually quite common so there is plenty of 3D material. Though much 3D these days is fake 3D so you could also get a somewhat similar effect by just using your hardware to create 3D from 2D and adjusting the depth level.

          Comment


            #6
            I have found transfers that go heavy on the edge-sharpening filters do pop quite nicely with interpolated 3D. Scott Pilgrim vs The World was very effective under conversion. What troubles me is that there are still studio 3D conversions being made, some very close to the real thing with the improving techniques, that have no life after the theater. I have been a fan of 3D from a time when it was relegated to IMAX, theme park attractions, and expensive, niche home hardware (and cardboard cheap anaglyph). I understand the markets, studio-to-home, and electronics manufacturing and retail, it's been my life, amateur and professional. The prices of hardware and software never really did hit bargain-bin levels like some fad tech has in the past. I get that it's most likely due to the home TV replenishment cycles resonating with advances in resolution with 3D being this awkward wallflower that showed up right after everyone traded ancient standard definition sets for shiny high definition displays that broke the wallet. That on top of an already cemented awareness that 3D always carried some premium pedigree despite its aggravations. Hubris, greed, and misrepresentation have chained 3D in the public mind for over a decade, but the fruit of those efforts is usually a glut of content, not a drying desert. It's almost like the industry in North America is resentful that 3D didn't surge over-priced tickets, equipment, and home media and now that all these displays and players are out in the wild they'll shut the spigot. But with streaming an established hardware, I thought surely this would be the proverbial Alamo for 3D. Now, I'm looking up ways to region-free my player instead of handing over willing money to an entity that essentially just has to put a mastered stream on a server. To quote Mugato; "Am I taking crazy pills?"

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by alternaive View Post
              I have found transfers that go heavy on the edge-sharpening filters do pop quite nicely with interpolated 3D. Scott Pilgrim vs The World was very effective under conversion. What troubles me is that there are still studio 3D conversions being made, some very close to the real thing with the improving techniques, that have no life after the theater. I have been a fan of 3D from a time when it was relegated to IMAX, theme park attractions, and expensive, niche home hardware (and cardboard cheap anaglyph). I understand the markets, studio-to-home, and electronics manufacturing and retail, it's been my life, amateur and professional. The prices of hardware and software never really did hit bargain-bin levels like some fad tech has in the past. I get that it's most likely due to the home TV replenishment cycles resonating with advances in resolution with 3D being this awkward wallflower that showed up right after everyone traded ancient standard definition sets for shiny high definition displays that broke the wallet. That on top of an already cemented awareness that 3D always carried some premium pedigree despite its aggravations. Hubris, greed, and misrepresentation have chained 3D in the public mind for over a decade, but the fruit of those efforts is usually a glut of content, not a drying desert. It's almost like the industry in North America is resentful that 3D didn't surge over-priced tickets, equipment, and home media and now that all these displays and players are out in the wild they'll shut the spigot. But with streaming an established hardware, I thought surely this would be the proverbial Alamo for 3D. Now, I'm looking up ways to region-free my player instead of handing over willing money to an entity that essentially just has to put a mastered stream on a server. To quote Mugato; "Am I taking crazy pills?"
              3D is just lately dead in the US home market. Theaters don?t well but quite a few still do come out. In Asian countries such as China they want everything. Most Chinese releases are 3D or even 4DX as well. Studios will do another print just for China given the popularity there and the extra high ticket prices.

              Comment


                #8
                Apparently Vudu hasn?t stopped support of 3D after all....they just aren?t adding the new titles to the 3D page. I was searching for Jumanji and there is a 2D/3D bundle for the new Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. So I did another search for Justice League and sure enough, there is a 2D/3D combo of it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Anyone else having issues with Justice League 3D? All of my other 3D movies on VUDU resolve as 1080i60(SBS). Justice League resolves as 1080p24 and you see two images on the screen. VUDU please assist.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Also, JL 3D plays side by side video on unsupported 3D devices . All other 3D movies give you the pop up about being a unsupported device ...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Often you can find a release from Europe or Asia that is not region locked. I just got physical disc of Thor Ragnarok 3D from the UK Monday, and have Star Wars The Last Jedi arriving, also from the UK, in mid-April. There are online resources that help you find what international releases are available, if they are region locked, and include links where to order them from. And the shipping prices and delivery times are not as bad as most would expect.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by SolomonJ View Post
                        Often you can find a release from Europe or Asia that is not region locked. I just got physical disc of Thor Ragnarok 3D from the UK Monday, and have Star Wars The Last Jedi arriving, also from the UK, in mid-April. There are online resources that help you find what international releases are available, if they are region locked, and include links where to order them from. And the shipping prices and delivery times are not as bad as most would expect.
                        That's exactly what I've started doing, as I want those films on physical anyway Ragnarok looks great, looking forward to TLJ in a month. At this point, I'm with everyone else; lowered expectations on streaming releases, and work-arounds like ordering discs from other regions. And, honestly, it's fine. I'm glad studios are focusing on 4K and HDR, audiences seem a lot more open to investing in the tech and media than 3D, so I feel like it's going to be around longer. 3D may be back, with better tech, when UHD peters out. And I've got a soldering iron if 3D releases go back to single-region (wink).

                        Comment


                          #13
                          FYI, during Vudu's Horror Movie sale, Piranha 3DD is just $3.99...very cheap for a Vudu 3D title!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by GOBUCKZ View Post
                            Anyone else having issues with Justice League 3D? All of my other 3D movies on VUDU resolve as 1080i60(SBS). Justice League resolves as 1080p24 and you see two images on the screen. VUDU please assist.
                            I'm having the same problem with the new Jamanji

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Jumanji 3D is displaying side by side instead of in 3D all my other 3D movies are fine. How do I resolve this?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X