Announcement

Collapse

Vudu Forum Guidelines

Vudu Forum Guidelines

The Vudu Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Vudu experience. Here, Vudu customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Vudu and Vudu -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Vudu customers with questions and/or problems with their VUDU service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Vudu Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Vudu Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Vudu reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Vudu products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Vudu retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Vudu Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Vudu products and services should be directed to Vudu customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Vudu, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Vudu a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Vudu desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Vudu will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Vudu is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Vudu the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Vudu for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Vudu takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Just got my first 3D movie at Vudu and I wonder if it's a mistake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my first 3D movie at Vudu and I wonder if it's a mistake.

The movie is Oz The Great and Powerful. I got it by redeeming the Disney Movies Anywhere code. I got 200 Rewards points, the movie itself doesn't show up anywhere, not even DMA, but the 3D version is redeemed on Vudu. So in this case the "Anywhere" in Disney Movies Anywhere means "only at Vudu and only on my 3D Smart TV."

This particular set came with only the 3D disc and digital copy code. No 2D or DVD. Except for the single disc Bolt 3D which was only exclusively available with some new 3DTVs and did not have a digital copy, I have never before or since seen a Disney release that wasn't a multi-format bundle.

I sent off a tech support request to DMA to see what they say about it. Best case scenario, which I suggested but I know there's no way on earth they will do it, would be to add a 2D digital copy of Oz, and 3D copies of the several other movies I have which came with 3D discs. I am not holding my breath.

FYI in case anybody was wondering. Disney did give me the 2D copy of Oz, but did nothing regarding the other 3D titles.

Comment

Does the code from the 3D Blu-ray of Oz the Great and Powerful still redeem 3D at Vudu. I didn't know it ever had or I would have used my code to get it. I still have my code sitting unused.

Comment

No idea, probably the only way to find out would be to try it. Back when I did it, it was Disney Movies Anywhere where it was redeemed and it somehow ported to Vudu as 3D. Maybe FelipeF or Support could answer that question?

Comment

Ah. Thank you for the info. In that case, I have a feeling it won't now. But maybe FelipeF can tell us.

Comment

I redeemed the code with that disc a long time ago and only got the 2D version, which I'd never watch. The disc has zero extras though, so the redemption is the only way to see those.

Comment

No code to my knowledge has ever redeemed a 3D version, even if the "case" had the 3d disc.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelRave View Post
                No code to my knowledge has ever redeemed a 3D version, even if the "case" had the 3d disc.
                There were actually several titles that used to redeem 3D at Vudu. Most were 3D Sony codes. I don't think any do anymore though.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelRave View Post
                  I also had several codes from 3D blu-rays that redeemed in 3D. Most of mine were Sony as well. Some were Disney. There was a few others.

Personally I never bought a 3D title on Vudu directly. Very few if any redeem as 3D from 3D disc packages, and I no longer have 3D equipment.

Kind of a dead end unless you really work at it and have no problem paying through the nose for it.

Comment

To me, I've redeemed a bunch of 3D codes and personally have never received a 3D copy on VUDU. If you guys are reporting that 3.00% of all the 3D codes redeem in 3D, woo. But I am just saying that you can't go into buying a 3D Bluray combo thinking it will redeem on VUDU in 3D.

It's similar to 4K purchases from Fox. Fox only gives the HDX quality on a UHD code.

Comment

Yep, it's a crapshoot.

I got lucky again more recently, found "Gamer 3D" in a $5 display at Walmart. Redeeming the UV code got me the 3D version of the movie. Then I scanned the receipt in the WalMart app on my phone and it gave me the HDX version. Weird.

Comment

RebelRave this is no longer the case. While older pressings do not redeem 4k, newer pressings, and things released starting last summer do contain 4k codes

Comment

Thread is about 3D, and nearly all 3D have historically and still do do (largely) redeem as 2D.

The only side side comment about being similar to Fox redeeming as HDX as being similar to 3D redeeming as 2D is also still largely true. I?ve bought several Fox recent 4K releases historically and (largely) still redeem as HDX.

Now the majority of studios that redeemed HDX from 4K in the past and mostly redeeming as 4K now, with the exception on the aforementioned Fox; well and Paramount to an extent.

In any case 3D for home is more or less on its death bed unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
                            In any case 3D for home is more or less on its death bed unfortunately.
                            I agree with your assessment if you add the qualifier "in the United States."

It seems every new and recent 3D title are still being released in overseas markets but very few of them in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepper View Post
                              I agree with your assessment if you add the qualifier "in the United States."

It seems every new and recent 3D title are still being released in overseas markets but very few of them in the US.
                              As far as 3D theatrical movies, they are constantly released. Largely this has to with China production company films. One make with American actors but with one hot Chinese star. China is also full of 4DX.

But it if you check TV, even outside of the US they are not really being made even a fraction of what they are.

So 3D films are mainly only in theaters with very little on video, even in China (largest 3D market) or elsewide beside the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                              X