Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

LCD or Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD or Plasma

Holiday shopping season is coming up. I have my eyes on a large screen HDTV...

Recommendations?

Type? LCD or plasma? Projection?
    Size? For a 20x20 ft room, about 10ft viewing distance.
    Brand? Make?

What are your experiences like? It's going to be a big purchase for me. Like to make it a worthy one

Re: LCD or Plasma

Hey Tin,

It's really about what you like about the picture. Here's my take:

LCDs are VERY sharp. Crisp lines. But the color gamut is not as good as other technologies. And getting in sizes above 50" is not cheap. It's getting better, but I think it's still on the pricey side compared to Plasma.

Plasma sets are very good at displaying color gamut. The difference is that in an LCD, light is shown through the crystal. When watching content that is dark (like a concert performance with a lot of shadow), the light from the LCD is still having to shine through it to create the image. Not so with a Plasma, the individual pixels can be turned on or off, etc. I once saw the same concert footage simultaneously on an LCD and a plasma. The LCD had crisper lines but the color gamut on the plasma was way better. The signer was wearing a black shirt and on the LCD, the shirt and black background tended to meld together. On the plasma, you could see the demarcation between shirt and background.

The other advantage to Plasma is that the sets are lower cost than LCD technologies for sizes 50" and larger.

Plasmas also supposedly are better for fast action as they don't have the response time issues that LCDs do.

Plasmas do have a lot of negative press that is more myth than fact. People talk about burn-in on plasmas. It doesn't happen. In fact, it's more likely to happen on a standard CRT. What plasmas do get is image retention where you can see text on the screen (at an oblique angle when say, it's completely black) for a time. This image retention eventually goes away and most sets have methods to wipe it out. Panasonic wrote a white paper that goes over Plasma facts and myths: http://www.dynamicdigital.ca/documen...nd%20Myths.pdf or do a Google search on Plasma Facts and Myths. It's a very good article and talks in detail about this stuff.

I have a 50" LG Plasma that I purchased a year ago. I bought it because it has a built in HD DVR. However, I would not buy another one. Image quality is great but the software and interface is kinda sucky. The GUI crashes sometimes for no apparent reason and I have to literally unplug the TV and plug it back in again to get it back. The UI on the DVR has some real quirky features as well that weren't thought out (for example, if you are watching any other input on the TV or a recorded show and a show recording starts, it doesn't just start in the background. The TV switches to the main input and starts the recording. You then have to manually go back to what you were watching and then close a PiP window that pops up with the recording content!).

My recommendations for Plasma are Pioneer - they are the best. Panasonic is another good choice.

For LCD I like Sharp a lot and Samsung and LG have some nice LCDs as well.

Keep in mind that image quality between sets is going to be quite good - not like the old days of CRTs. There's only a handful of factories in the world that make these displays so they all are pretty much the same.

I would stay away from DLP as the viewing angle bites and the image is not as good, IMHO...

Hope this helps.

Jon

Comment

Awesome! I love to hear the real experiences from people who actually own and use a product. Nothing beats that.

Very helpful Jon!

I used to work for Sony, so have a bias in that direction :-). Any experience, comments from people who own the Bravia XBR line? I am thinking of the new XBR4, which has 120hz frame rate and 1080p.

Yes, these puppies are expensive! But I buy TV and use it for at least 10 years, so I like it to last for a while. My last one was purchased in 1996, a Sony CRT TV.

Comment

One thing you may want to know is that Plasma TV's consume a lot of power compared to LCD and other projection technologies. You can get a 50" DLP set for less than a 50" plasma also.

In sizes up to 42 inches LCD is now the dominate format based on price according to Consumer Reports and the differences in quality between Plasma, LCD, and DLP for 42 and under is minimal as long as you choose a quality manufacture.

Now when you git into the bigger sets 50" to 60" LCD projection TV's start to have some issues with screen door effect, this makes Plasma and DLP the kings in this size.

I am waiting for 3 DLP chip projectors to come down in price. That would be my choice for 50 to 120 inch display

Comment

Tin,

I've soured on Sony over the last few years. I have a Sony 12" Tube from 1986 that I still use and the picture is still as good today as it was back then. My second set was a 37" XBR purchased back in 1995 that is still quite awesome. My parents have it now that I have the 50" plasma and they love it. But things have changed since then. The last Sony I bought was purchased about 3 or 4 years ago and was a 27" tube. I had to replace it a few months ago as the controls on the front starting going wacky and you couldn't control the TV any longer. That TV should have lasted for years. I've had similar problems with Sony DVD players that have died premature deaths. So my feelings about Sony is that their quality has dropped a lot.

All that said, I have heard very good things about the Bravia XBR sets. I've heard people say they are very good.

I do agree with Ron on all of what he said about LCDs being lower power (my plasma generates a LOT of heat and even has fans internal to it) and DLPs are lower cost for sure. Personally, I don't like DLPs so that's where I part company with Ron!

Jon

Originally posted by TinL View Post
          Awesome! I love to hear the real experiences from people who actually own and use a product. Nothing beats that.

Very helpful Jon!

I used to work for Sony, so have a bias in that direction :-). Any experience, comments from people who own the Bravia XBR line? I am thinking of the new XBR4, which has 120hz frame rate and 1080p.

Yes, these puppies are expensive! But I buy TV and use it for at least 10 years, so I like it to last for a while. My last one was purchased in 1996, a Sony CRT TV.

Comment

Yes, power usage and heat is a top issue. In the summer, we are in danger of rolling black outs yeesh, in Sillicon Valley no less!

I have not bought any toys (well ok, expensive toys) for a while... so I think I am due for one

I don't have any place big enough for the 50 to 120" display Ron is talking about, so no need for DLP. Maybe when I retired and live on a farm... then can have movie night... use side of the barn...

Waiting and watching for that after Thanksgiving sale!

Comment

This is what I am looking for a projector for:

http://www.superscreenusa.com/index.html

I saw this in the Diners Club rewards catalog this year. Can you imagine having the Superbowl or Final Four projected in your back yard on one of these? How about a block movie party with the VUDU?

Combine that with this 3 chip DLP and you are all set:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Chip_DLP.html

Comment

I went the projector route in preparation for the Colts Superbowl victory. I got a good deal on the Optoma DLP Projector EP739, 2500 lumens and 1080i native resolution supported. It's not real great for daytime viewing, but that's not when we watch movies anyway. At night time, we fill the wall with video and it feels/sounds like we're at the theater.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                  I went the projector route in preparation for the Colts Superbowl victory.

If you don't have room for 50" or larger, then go with an LCD set...that's what I would do - best bang for your buck at that price range.

I was looking in BestBuy yesterday at TV prices. Cripe! 50" plasmas are selling new for less than I owe still on mine!

Comment

Did you know that the U.K. is thinking about banning plasma TV's due to the amount of power consumed and the amount of CO2 generated. Will the nanny state ever cease to exist?

http://www.tvpredictions.com/ukplasma091007.htm

Comment

I will make this simple: Plasma unless you have a ton of ambient light in your room or you like a really bright picture. LCD can't touch the natural look of a plasma.

For plasmas, the rank goes: (best to worse)
                      Fujitsu > Pioneer Elite > Pioneer > Panasonic > Samsung

Comment

Rob,

Good to know on Fujitsu. I've always heard that Pioneer Elite was the best. Why do you feel Fujitsu?

And what is your opinion on what makes one set better than the other? I have an LG and the image is great, but the software and user interface sucks and it crashes. I wouldn't buy another.

Given that nearly all Plasmas are made by the same few companies, what do you feel separates the men from the boys...

Comment

Consider Front Projection as a very strong option. It is today's best value, especially if size matters. Which it always does in a Home Theater setting.

With today's available resolutions...up to 1080p.....becoming so affordable, even smallish environs can enjoy "The Big Picture" because 1:1 viewing aspect ratios (Width of screen to distance to seating) are possible.

It the case as requested, I'd suggest a 110" Diagonal Screen. A 9' image viewed at 10' is "Total Immersion Video" yet does not exceed the boundaries of the peripheral vision. In the past, image brilliance, color correctness, and most importantly...the Techno God that rules all of Video: "CONTRAST RATIO" ...all fell far behind the performance that Direct View Displays (DVDs?) could offer. And the "DVDs" cost less. Their only fault being that they we too small to capture the "Cinematic Experience".

Well now. Considering you can purchase a 1080p Projector w/1200 lumens @ 10,000:1 CR for under $3000.00, ............AND, by painting a smooth substrate (Wall or Board) with one of the available "Ambient Light Viewing" Screen paints for about $200.00, for a sum total of approx $3500.00 you can get anything between a 65" diagonal up to 135" diagonal and dispense with much of the bother and additional expense any sizable "DVD" brings into the equation.

This I know, because since 2000 I have advocated the use of high performance DIY Screens to help assist under performing PJs in their duties. making a $2500 720p PJ preform like a $25,000 CRT was the object, and it was obtained quite handily.

With today's latest crop of "DVD" Killers that can be viewed in respectable amounts of ambient light...and of course excel in controlled lighting, the days of settling for a "Kiss your Sister" approach to Home Theater are over.

Go big...or GO BIGGER.
                          But go.....and may the affordable "Big Picture" be your companion.

Comment

MississippiMan,

Why be limited to the size of your wall when you can have that drive in movie experience:

http://www.superscreenusa.com/index.html

I have a large family room and one wall would be perfect for projection.
                            I am still looking for the price of 3 Chip DLP projectors to come down before I purchase a front projection system. I have tried the single chip DLP's and they are good but there are limited to the color depth that is available with a 7 color wheel. Blacks and grays get a bit muted. My baseline movie for dark scenes is "The Matrix". If it can't play the night scenes with the rain, car, and alleyway I won't go for it..

Comment

Wow! that's a cool idea.

I am very tempted with the projectors. Small size, light weight, can be put out of the way (the screen can be wall or roll up), etc.

But I wonder how well projectors are for games such as PS, XBOX or WII? Anyone has experience playing these games on a projector based system? Especially the fast, action based games.

Comment

Working...
                              X