Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Resolution of Component Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution of Component Connection

I hooked my box up to my A/V receiver using the HDMI connection and I get my 1080i resolution. Because it's takes more time to switch on the receiver just to check if any thing is new on vudu, I hooked the component output of the box directly to my TV's component input. The video setup says the conection is 480p. I thought component supported higher resolutions? Is it my TV, or does vudu only support up to 480p on the component connection? Thx.

Re: Resolution of Component Connection

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
    I hooked my box up to my A/V receiver using the HDMI connection and I get my 1080i resolution. Because it's takes more time to switch on the receiver just to check if any thing is new on vudu, I hooked the component output of the box directly to my TV's component input. The video setup says the conection is 480p. I thought component supported higher resolutions? Is it my TV, or does vudu only support up to 480p on the component connection? Thx.
    Only the HDMI connection will display full 720P or 1080 due to licensing. Analog will only go as high at 480P.

Comment

The HDMI limitation for higher resolution was one of the critical points in negotiating with the studios. They are very concerned about copying the high resolution sources. The protection built into HDMI convinced the studios to open up the vaults to Vudu that have been closed to others in the past. Without that limit the studios wouldn't budge.

Comment

OK, thanks for the info guys ..

Comment

I just installed my VUDU box. My 5-year old plasma monitor doesn't have HDMI, so I'm limited to Component connections.

Although the picture is very clear, I notice some video noise. For example, when the VUDU is in its screen saver mode (dark background with VUDU logo), I see very slight blue and red diagonal moving "noise bars". As a check, I moved the box to another TV with component inputs and see the same noise.

Is this normal? Will the noise be gone if/when I move to a HDMI-enabled monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by RobD20 View Post
            I just installed my VUDU box. My 5-year old plasma monitor doesn't have HDMI, so I'm limited to Component connections.

Although the picture is very clear, I notice some video noise. For example, when the VUDU is in its screen saver mode (dark background with VUDU logo), I see very slight blue and red diagonal moving "noise bars". As a check, I moved the box to another TV with component inputs and see the same noise.

Is this normal? Will the noise be gone if/when I move to a HDMI-enabled monitor?
            Hi RobD20, welcome to the Vudu Forum!

Nobody has reported this before that I'm aware of. A few thoughts come to mind:

1 - Are you using the same set of cables on both monitors? If so, try a different set of component cables and see if the problem follows the cable.

2 - Make sure you aren't using a red/white/yellow cable that has different grades of coax for the connections - all 3 cables should "match".

By the way, could you please tell us the make/model of your plasma monitor? It also might help if you can post your Vudu System ID for the engineers to pull up your diagnostic logs.

Totally Off Topic - I've heard that after about 3 years the plasmas start to go downhill. Have you noticed anything like that with yours yet?

Comment

I've been using high quality component cables. Big fat Monster ones. (I also tried the ones that came with the unit -- same results).

I'll post my make/model of the Panny plasma tonight, with my Vudu System ID.

As for the picture quality degrading after several years, I haven't noticed it at all. The picture is just as stunning. We were watching the Blu-Ray Hairspray disc this weekend (thru component inputs) and the picture quality was perfect.

I am getting the itch to move the plasma into another room and get one with HDMI connections, just to obtain an even better image, although (except for the VUDU box) it looks perfect as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post

Totally Off Topic - I've heard that after about 3 years the plasmas start to go downhill. Have you noticed anything like that with yours yet?
                A big myth...

Back on topic..

RobD20,

Do you have the component 480i/480p switch set to 480p?

Jon

Comment

yes, I have the switch set to 480P.

maybe I'm being too critical. anyone want to test their box?

1. connect via component
                  2. let the box go into screensaver mode
                  3. watch in a darkened room (so there are no reflections).

Is the black image nice and solid, or is there some diagonal noise (almost like a light haze over the picture)?

Comment

2 - Make sure you aren't using a red/white/yellow cable that has different grades of coax for the connections - all 3 cables should "match".
                    I'm using an old red/yellow/white cable for my component connection. Does it really make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
                      I'm using an old red/yellow/white cable for my component connection. Does it really make a difference?
                      Theoretically it could make a difference. You could try swapping them to see if you notice any difference. That would be the first thing you should do if you thought the picture wasn't as good as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                        Theoretically it could make a difference. You could try swapping them to see if you notice any difference. That would be the first thing you should do if you thought the picture wasn't as good as it should be.
                        Well, it's good enough to check out the selection and settings at 480p, so I'll guess I'll stick with it, but when it comes time to watch something I'll switch to the HDMI connection.

Comment

my system id is 0x32d6, and I'm using a Panasonic TH-42PHD5 plasma monitor.

Hi RobD20, welcome to the Vudu Forum!

Nobody has reported this before that I'm aware of. A few thoughts come to mind:

1 - Are you using the same set of cables on both monitors? If so, try a different set of component cables and see if the problem follows the cable.

By the way, could you please tell us the make/model of your plasma monitor? It also might help if you can post your Vudu System ID for the engineers to pull up your diagnostic logs.

-

Comment

I'm happy to report that Vudu sent me a replacement box which now works fine. The picture through the component outputs is free of noise.

Comment

No 1080i through component?????

I am just received my box, now just waiting for the arrival of my wireless extender. I know just read that I cannot get HD output through the component video connection. Is this really true or did I misread?

I do not believe this was clear in any aspect of your marketing material. If so, I am unable to rent/view HD output through the device, greatly reducing it's usability.
                              I have trouble with the licensing concept - I can get HD output through component on my Xbox as well as my satellite receiver.

What gives?

Can I get my $$$$ back?

Comment

Working...
                              X