Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

How to know Dolby Vision and Atmos is working??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to know Dolby Vision and Atmos is working??

Hi all,

I've waited to adopt 4K until now due to recent enhancements with HDR/Dolby Vision. I went for VUDU due to the ability to stream UHD, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos content. The issue I'm having is being new to the "game", how can I validate that Dolby Vision and Atmos are actually working? For example, when opening Batman vs. Superman, I could swear the Dolby Vision emblem looks grayed out against the other two icons (4K and Atmos). When starting the movie, "UHD" and "ATMOS" icons are at the top right. However, what's throwing me off is when I bypassed the AVR to test, the ATMOS icon stays there?! There should be no surround sound detected at that point correct?

I basically want to make sure I'm getting the quality which I've paid for. How can I truly confirm Dolby Vision AND Dolby ATMOS are actually working???

Equipment:
    - Vizio P65-C1
    - Onkyo TX-NR656
    - Roku 4: Display set to 4K with 10-bit
    - Mediabridge Ultra HDMI 2.0a spec cables
    - 200 Mbps download speed

Re: How to know Dolby Vision and Atmos is working??

Originally posted by Zmonsta View Post
    Hi all,

I've waited to adopt 4K until now due to recent enhancements with HDR/Dolby Vision. I went for VUDU due to the ability to stream UHD, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos content. The issue I'm having is being new to the "game", how can I validate that Dolby Vision and Atmos are actually working? For example, when opening Batman vs. Superman, I could swear the Dolby Vision emblem looks grayed out against the other two icons (4K and Atmos). When starting the movie, "UHD" and "ATMOS" icons are at the top right. However, what's throwing me off is when I bypassed the AVR to test, the ATMOS icon stays there?! There should be no surround sound detected at that point correct?

I basically want to make sure I'm getting the quality which I've paid for. How can I truly confirm Dolby Vision AND Dolby ATMOS are actually working???

Equipment:
    - Vizio P65-C1
    - Onkyo TX-NR646
    - Roku 4: Display set to 4K with 10-bit
    - Mediabridge Ultra HDMI 2.0a spec cables
    - 200 Mbps download speed
    Hello Zmonsta
    Are you viewing UHD on the ROKU 4? If so the ROKU4 does not support Dolby Vision that is why you see Vision grayed out in the VUDU UI. Currently Dolby Vision is only supported on 2016 LGTVs, Vizio R series TV and VizioSmartCast TV.

I looked up the P65-C1 and this is a SmartCast TV so you are enjoying Dolby Vision when you stream VUDU UHD from the P65.

If your AVR system detects Atmos you are also good. The ATMOS Icon is always displayed in the banner during playback as the content is ATMOS enabled. If the device that is outputting the sound does not support ATMOS it should be able to down convert the audio to just DD+ and output the sound as DD+.

Thanks
    Tam

Comment

Originally posted by TamM View Post
      If your AVR system detects Atmos you are also good. The ATMOS Icon is always displayed in the banner during playback as the content is ATMOS enabled. If the device that is outputting the sound does not support ATMOS it should be able to down convert the audio to just DD+ and output the sound as DD+.

Thanks
      Tam
      One more thing to note: when using the Vizio castTV to watch UHD with DolbyVision, make sure your Vizio TV is plugged into the receiver on an HDMI input that supports Audio Return Channel (ARC) and that ARC is enabled/used by the Onkyo receiver. The ATMOS audio will be sent from the TV to the receiver over ARC.

Comment

Wow thanks guys for the prompt response!

I am now using the app on the tablet remote or phone and then "casting" to the TV. Picture looks flawless so far...But still wish there was an indicator for UHD + Dolby Vision so that I know it's working.

Now I just need to get ARC working. No audio is pushing back to the AVR at the moment and I've enabled CEC/ARC on both devices... Hmm. Also, are we certain ARC will provide Atmos-quality 5.1.2 surround? I was under the impression ARC was equivalent to optical audio in that it maxes out at 5.1. It's been awhile since I've upgraded TVs, but I thought I remember something about TV audio out being limited to stereo. Hopefully I'm way off

Comment

Originally posted by Zmonsta View Post
          Wow thanks guys for the prompt response!

I am now using the app on the tablet remote or phone and then "casting" to the TV. Picture looks flawless so far...But still wish there was an indicator for UHD + Dolby Vision so that I know it's working.

Now I just need to get ARC working. No audio is pushing back to the AVR at the moment and I've enabled CEC/ARC on both devices... Hmm. Also, are we certain ARC will provide Atmos-quality 5.1.2 surround? I was under the impression ARC was equivalent to optical audio in that it maxes out at 5.1. It's been awhile since I've upgraded TVs, but I thought I remember something about TV audio out being limited to stereo. Hopefully I'm way off
          Older devices can only do DD 5.1 over ARC (since they just use S/PDIF), but that Vizio should be able to do DD+ 7.1 & ATMOS over ARC if the receiver supports HDMI 2.0 ARC & ATMOS. I'm pretty sure Tam confirmed that worked w/ the Vizio before that TV was certified The Vizio cast TVs are a bit temperamental to set up, but once you get through that they have great picture & sound quality.

Comment

I recently purchased a 2016 lg super Uhd UH8500 that is dobly vision enabled, I also have a atmos receiver hooked up to the tv via arc...however I'm not able to get atmos, just dobly digital +, or dobly surrounds which is the atmos mimic but not actually atmos, on the Vudu screen it does read atmos but not on the receiver.

My tv is 2016 lg so it should be able to output atmos..am I doing something wrong? Is there going to be a update ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ultraflexed View Post
              I recently purchased a 2016 lg super Uhd UH8500 that is dobly vision enabled, I also have a atmos receiver hooked up to the tv via arc...however I'm not able to get atmos, just dobly digital +, or dobly surrounds which is the atmos mimic but not actually atmos, on the Vudu screen it does read atmos but not on the receiver.

My tv is 2016 lg so it should be able to output atmos..am I doing something wrong? Is there going to be a update ?
              Hello Ultraflexed,

2016 LG TVs actually do not support DD+ over ARC. This is a limitation on the LG TVs. I believe the highest audio type through ARC is DD 5.1 for the LG TVs. You can contact LG to see if they plan to have a future update to support DD+ over ARC.

Thanks
              Tam

Comment

Hello Ultraflexed,

2016 LG TVs actually do not support DD+ over ARC. This is a limitation on the LG TVs. I believe the highest audio type through ARC is DD 5.1 for the LG TVs. You can contact LG to see if they plan to have a future update to support DD+ over ARC.

Thanks
                Tam
                Tam,
                Can you confirm that with your LG sources? I thought I read somewhere that the 2016 LG OLED's could pass DD+ over ARC and/or the optical audio output. I have the 2016 OLED65C6P and use the optical audio output and would like to know for sure what I can and can't get.

Thanks
                Scott

Comment

What about the Nvidia Shield TV with Vudu app. Either it should support Dolby Vision or should eventually be capable of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sevenout View Post
                    Tam,
                    Can you confirm that with your LG sources? I thought I read somewhere that the 2016 LG OLED's could pass DD+ over ARC and/or the optical audio output. I have the 2016 OLED65C6P and use the optical audio output and would like to know for sure what I can and can't get.

Thanks
                    Scott
                    Hello Scott,

Yes its confirmed 2016 LG TVs will not support DD+ over ARC. We raised this concern to LG during our testing phase of the 2016 TV and they said they do not intend to support DD+ over ARC for any of the 2016 models. I suppose if they get enough complaints they may change their stance.

As for Optical, I believe max audio support for the Optical interface is DD.

Thanks
                    Tam

Comment

Hello Scott,

Yes its confirmed 2016 LG TVs will not support DD+ over ARC. We raised this concern to LG during our testing phase of the 2016 TV and they said they do not intend to support DD+ over ARC for any of the 2016 models. I suppose if they get enough complaints they may change their stance.

As for Optical, I believe max audio support for the Optical interface is DD.

Thanks
                      Tam
                      I also have a 2016 LG 75UH8500 and can not get Dolby Atmos to work over ARC or optical cable. I guess I am out of luck trying to get it to work and have to wait until my xbox one S gets the dolby atmos update or buy the new Nvidia Shield to get Dolby Atmos to work on my Onkyo TX-NR747 reciever.

Comment

I looked up the P65-C1 and this is a SmartCast TV so you are enjoying Dolby Vision when you stream VUDU UHD from the P65.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                          Older devices can only do DD 5.1 over ARC (since they just use S/PDIF), but that Vizio should be able to do DD+ 7.1 & ATMOS over ARC if the receiver supports HDMI 2.0 ARC & ATMOS. I'm pretty sure Tam confirmed that worked w/ the Vizio before that TV was certified The Vizio cast TVs are a bit temperamental to set up, but once you get through that they have great picture & sound quality.
                          I need to know how to confirm Atmos is working as well. I have Atmos speakers set up as 5.1.2

Gear:

TV - Samsung 65KS9000 - 4K but will not pass atmos via Arc or optical correct?
                          DVD - Samsung ubd-k8500 - 4K and will pass atmos correct?
                          Receiver - Yamaha - V-781 - Confirmed Atmos receiver

1. If I use Vudu smart app on TV there is not anyway to pass atmos correct?
                          2. If I use Vudu smart app on DVD player I should be able to pass atmos but how?

It is nice to have all this Atmos enabled gear but how do I actually get to hear it? Help!

Comment

Hi Tam, Does the 'Atmos Experience' play back in Atmos since it is not UHD? I hope it would or otherwise it is a bit pointless... lol

I have a Onkyo 636 receiver which was one of the first Atmos comparable receivers and it does not have a built in Atmos graphic indicator, but I have it setup for Atmos properly. With one of the demos I saw it was PCM with others it came across as DD 5.1+ so not sure if it is downconverting or playing in Atmos?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond204 View Post
                              Hi Tam, Does the 'Atmos Experience' play back in Atmos since it is not UHD? I hope it would or otherwise it is a bit pointless... lol

I have a Onkyo 636 receiver which was one of the first Atmos comparable receivers and it does not have a built in Atmos graphic indicator, but I have it setup for Atmos properly. With one of the demos I saw it was PCM with others it came across as DD 5.1+ so not sure if it is downconverting or playing in Atmos?
                              If the receiver says "PCM" it's definitely not Atmos. If it says "DD+" and the source is Atmos, the receiver is probably getting the Atmos signal since Atmos is backwards compatible with DD+. In either case, it's really up to the source device feeding your receiver to properly send ("bitstream") the original DD+/Atmos stream instead of decoding it to PCM.

Comment

Working...
                              X