Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Banding issues on a 46inch Sony Bravia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banding issues on a 46inch Sony Bravia

i have a Sony Bravia 46" KDL-46W3000 1080p LCD HDTV. I am running my Vudu box via hdmi, with a 8megabit cable internet connection on timewarner cable in Los Angeles, Ca. I have the vudu connected via ethernet cable to a buffalo bridge which connects wirelessly to my linksys main router.

My issue is that I always get banding in low light scenes whenever I watch a vudu movie. None of my blueray, standard dvd, and cable 1080i movies have this issue.

Is this solely a quality of download issue or is this a TV issue? please advise, thanks...

Re: Banding issues on a 46inch Sony Bravia

It would help if you could list a few points in the Bourne movies (minutes/seconds elapsed) where you see this. Please describe it completely. Could you also post your Client ID (looks like 0x12ab) so the engineers can pull your logs.

Thanks,

Comment

I will do it later today...

Originally posted by Nded View Post
      It would help if you could list a few points in the Bourne movies (minutes/seconds elapsed) where you see this. Please describe it completely. Could you also post your Client ID (looks like 0x12ab) so the engineers can pull your logs.

Thanks,

Comment

these times are from the Bourne ultimatum movie... all low light, off focus backgrounds are banded....i have attached images for your reference..

system id is: 0x2da5

34:06-- every scene in this room has banding for the background walls..

39:51 banding in all off focus black background

40:35- elapse about 2min- whole low light scene-- background is semi-pixelated and banded, out of focus foreground, of back of ladies blonde hair is banded, background is banded, multiple colors from a off gray to a slight greenish gray

55:13- this whole scene every time they are in the dark room, the background has a lot of banding going on.

Comment

Thank you for a perfect response. I'd nominate you for a "best post of the week" award if we had such a thing. I'd expect one of the engineers to address this thread soon.

Comment

Now that where know where figidaddy saw this, could others please try to confirm? I know I will...

Comment

Well, I just watched those scenes on my DLP projector (100" diagonal image) and I can't see the banding you have documented so well. I will check again tonight when there is not as much ambient light in my theater room.

Does your Sony monitor have any "features" where it tries to enhance/process the signal, and can you disable this function?

IMPORTANT QUESTION

Are your other devices without the banding connected via HDMI also?

Comment

Well, I just watched those scenes on my DLP projector (100" diagonal image) and I can't see the banding you have documented so well. I will check again tonight when there is not as much ambient light in my theater room.

Does your Sony monitor have any "features" where it tries to enhance/process the signal, and can you disable this function?

IMPORTANT QUESTION

maybe, i will check today once i go home

yes all devices are connect via hdmi

Comment

I see exactly the same thing at the same times on 2 of my Vudus and TVs that I checked. One TV is a 65" Sharp Aquos 1080p and the other is a 42" JVC LCD 1080p. I attributed this to compression and it didn't bother me a great deal. Of course if it is improved, I wouldn't mind. However, I wouldn't want to deal with double the file size for the improvement since this only seems to happen when there is really nothing detailed to show. If it is a tradeoff, I'm happy the way it is.

Also, I checked the settings on the TV and none of the settings seemed to affect it.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                    I see exactly the same thing at the same times on 2 of my Vudus and TVs that I checked. One TV is a 65" Sharp Aquos 1080p and the other is a 42" JVC LCD 1080p. I attributed this to compression and it didn't bother me a great deal. Of course if it is improved, I wouldn't mind. However, I wouldn't want to deal with double the file size for the improvement since this only seems to happen when there is really nothing detailed to show. If it is a tradeoff, I'm happy the way it is.

Also, I checked the settings on the TV and none of the settings seemed to affect it.

I agree, it doesn't bother me, since I know there are sacrifices you have to make when it comes to ip TV regarding compression. I was just doing my deed as an evangelist...But improvement or tips are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thank you for a perfect response. I'd nominate you for a "best post of the week" award if we had such a thing. I'd expect one of the engineers to address this thread soon.
                      I'll take some movie credits, lol

Comment

I'd expect one of the engineers to address this thread soon
                        I posted a pretty much identical thread to this one here (back on 12/12) and engineering never responded. I posted some links to some screenshots that looked pretty similar to yours.

My conclusion has been that its probably a mixture of factors:
                        • Some TV's are better at hiding VUDU's compression artifacts
                        • Some consumers do not "notice" these compression artifacts
                        • VUDU has to do some pretty serious compression in order to squeeze an HD signal down to 4GB - so compression artifacts should be expected (disappointingly as far as I'm concerned, as I want my HD picture to be perfect).
                        I'm considering the switch to an HD-DVD drive for my xbox as this is cheaper than buying a new TV that (possibly?) can eliminate my banding issues. I'll be sure to post back on the quality comparison if I notice any difference with VUDU.

One final thought on this, I did download some hi-def trailers onto my xbox 360 (connected via component) and they looked pretty much the same as the HD content on vudu (similar banding/compression artifacts).

DISCLOSURE: I am an "evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by steveybaby View Post
                          I posted a pretty much identical thread to this one here (back on 12/12) and engineering never responded.
                          It doesn't mean that it is not being looked into. I think the conclusion is that some compression artifacts do exist. I would expect Vudu to continue to try to improve their compression algorithms. You might not hear any response on this though.

[*]VUDU has to do some pretty serious compression in order to squeeze an HD signal down to 4GB - so compression artifacts should be expected (disappointingly as far as I'm concerned, as I want my HD picture to be perfect).
                          You are making the fatal mistake of comparing DVDs to Vudu. DVDs use MPEG-2 file format. The Vudu uses H.264 which is a subset of MPEG-4. H.264 is much more efficient and newer of a compression algorithm. Trying to get an MPEG-2 file in HD small enough to stream would be a disaster. So while there is a lot of compression going on, you can't just directly compare file sizes.

I don't know if you will be able to get around compression artifacts 100%. I know, I want my HD-TV to be perfect too. I've not had a chance to compare with Blue-Ray or HD-DVD but I'd suspect they have some too (SD DVDs show some artifacts at times). With Vudu, perhaps you can say that it is as good or better than anything you would get with any other streamed format be it cable VOD, satellite, cable broadcast, etc. Most people are so accustomed to artifacts today that they don't even notice. Maybe Vudu won't be as clean as Blue-Ray or HD-DVD but then again, I don't have to get up from the couch with Vudu!

Comment

better than anything you would get with any other streamed format be it cable VOD, satellite, cable broadcast, etc
                            I didn't see (or perhaps just didn't notice) this type of artifact on my comcast HD VOD.

Maybe Vudu won't be as clean as Blue-Ray or HD-DVD but then again, I don't have to get up from the couch with Vudu!
                            I can jump in my car, drive down to best buy and buy the Bourne Ultimatum HD-DVD , get back and start watching it in far less time than it took VUDU to start playing it (plus I got some fresh air in the bargain!). So in order to keep this "convenience" benefit I hope the engineers figure out how to make HD play instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by steveybaby View Post
                              I didn't see (or perhaps just didn't notice) this type of artifact on my comcast HD VOD.
                              I've seen it in Comcast HD stuff. Seems to vary from movie to movie, etc.

I can jump in my car, drive down to best buy and buy the Bourne Ultimatum HD-DVD , get back and start watching it in far less time than it took VUDU to start playing it (plus I got some fresh air in the bargain!). So in order to keep this "convenience" benefit I hope the engineers figure out how to make HD play instantly.
                              Heh. Heh. Heh.

Just wait...

Comment

Working...
                              X