Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU does not work with OSX and an external monitor even if it is HDCP compliant 3342

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VUDU does not work with OSX and an external monitor even if it is HDCP compliant 3342

VUDU does not work using its to highest resolutions of either HD or HDX under OSX using an external monitor.

If you try to play a VUDU HDX movie on an external monitor you may get the message:

Oops! This movie won't play on your display due to copyright restrictions. It can be played only if both your output and display support HDCP.[#3342]

It plays fine on the laptop's or desktop's integrated display.

VUDU support incorrectly reports that it is a HW issue and Apple does not support HDCP on external monitors.
    Windows 8 works great on the same HW so I dove further to figure out what was happening.

VUDU uses Adobe Air and Flash which apparently won't support output protection on external monitors using OSX or Linux.

http://support.muse.adobe.com/message/3057671#3057671

"If you are using a policy that contains output protection, please ensure you are using a Windows Vista or higher OS. The OSX and Linux OS's currently do not expose mechanisms to enable Output Protection, so content packaged with that restriction will fail to play on those OS's to an external monitor."

more can be found:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashacc...ng_content.pdf
    http://support.muse.adobe.com/message/3160082#3160082

Microsoft suffers with the same problem with Silverlight 4:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.95).aspx

Silverlight 4 also does not support HDCP on external monitors for "Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Mac OS X."

iTunes protected 720 and 1080P HD content works because Apple developers have access to hidden APIs to check for HDCP on external devices.

My information could be out of date. Does anyone know if Silverlight 5 or Adobe currently support HDCP checks on external devices correctly?

-Charles

------
    -------
    background notes for above:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...pcp-protection

http://support.muse.adobe.com/message/3057671#3057671
    1. If you are using a policy that contains output protection, please ensure you are using a Windows Vista or higher OS. The OSX and Linux OS's currently do not expose mechanisms to enable Output Protection, so content packaged with that restriction will fail to play on those OS's to an external monitor. If you are using a Windows machine, please make sure the external monitor you are using is HDCP compliant, and that your cable is also compliant. Another test you can run to verify Output Protection is working is to use a laptop (or any other device with an internal screen) to play the content. As the laptop screen isn't considered an "external screen", content with Output Protection turned on should still play.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashacc...ng_content.pdf

Output protection Output protection controls
    New in 2.0: Control whether output to external rendering devices is protected. Specify analog and digital outputs independently.
    Controls whether output to external rendering devices should be restricted. An external device is defined as any video or audio device that is not embedded in the computer. The list of external devices excludes integrated displays, such as in notebook computers. Analog and digital output restrictions can be specified independently.
    The following options/levels of enforcement are available:
    ● Required ? must be enabled in order to play content to an external device
    ● Use if available ? attempt to enable, but allow playback if not available
    ● No protection ? no output protection enablement is enforced
    ● No playback ? don't allow playback to an external device
    Note: While these rules are consistently enforced across all platforms, currently it is only possible to securely turn on output protection on Windows platforms. On other platforms (such as Macintosh and Linux) there are no supporting operating system functions available to third party applications.
    Example use case: Some content might enforce output protection controls, and the level of protection can be set by the content distributor. If "Required" is specified and playback is attempted on a Macintosh, the client does not play back content on external devices. The content will, however, play back on internal monitors.
    s.
    If you specify "Use if available", output protection is turned on where possible. For example, on Windows machines that support the Certified Output Protection Protocol (COPP), the content is passed with output protection to an external display. This example is sometimes known as "selectable output control".

http://support.muse.adobe.com/message/3160082#3160082
    [ If you are using the Reference Implementation License Server ]

1. Package content, ensuring the following properties are set in your flashaccesstools.properties file when creating the policy:
    1a. policy.outputProtection.analog=REQUIRED
    1b. policy.outputProtection.digital=REQUIRED

2. Play the content on a Windows or Mac laptop; notice the video plays.

3. On the Windows machine, attach a monitor that is HDCP compliant & play the same video; notice the video plays.

4. On the Mac machine, attach a monitor that is HDCP compliant & play the same video; notice the video does NOT play.

5. On the Windows machine, attach a monitor that is not HDCP compliant; the video should not play.

Remarks
    HDCP can only be engaged on the following digital connectors: DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort.
    HDCP requires that all components of the path from the computer to the output support HDCP. If any one of these components does not support HDCP, regardless whether it is the monitor, graphics card, graphics driver, receiver, keyboard/mouse/monitor switch, or other similar device, HDCP is not engaged and this value is false.
    Version Notes
    For Silverlight 4, this value is always false on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Mac OS X.

Microsoft suffers the same problem with Silverlight 4:

Sliverlight 4 also does not support HDCP on external monitors for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Mac OS X.
    public bool CanEnableHdcp { get; }
    # will always return false for Mac OS X.

Re: VUDU does not work with OSX and an external monitor even if it is HDCP compliant

GREAT JOB!!! Very detailed very disappointing LOL. I had downloaded several HDX movies to my Mac and got the HDCP complaint!!!

Obviously not Vudu's problem per-say, more the big studio's and Adobe / Silverlight not playing nice with MAC.

Just a quick question. Any solutions other than using a PC? Any try VM windows on the mac?

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Re: VUDU does not work with OSX and an external monitor even if it is HDCP compliant

Unfortunately I have experienced this problem with my PC. This has discouraged me. Looking for a solution.

Comment

Just so I am understanding this correctly, this is a MAC issue and not a coding issue with VUDU?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ BrianBASS View Post
          Just so I am understanding this correctly, this is a MAC issue and not a coding issue with VUDU?
          Yeah, it's annoying, but Apple does't make the HDCP capabilities available to 3rd party apps, so players/DRM like Adobe Access and Microsoft Playready (Silverlight) are not able to verify that HDCP is enabled.

Comment

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue completely but I am a little confused for sure. I connected my Macbook Pro, running Lion to my TV via an HDMI cable and I am able to watch Vudu movies. Now it's not the latest OSX (and maybe I should count my blessings), but has this issue been resolved since it the post back in April? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by revola View Post
              Maybe I'm not understanding the issue completely but I am a little confused for sure. I connected my Macbook Pro, running Lion to my TV via an HDMI cable and I am able to watch Vudu movies. Now it's not the latest OSX (and maybe I should count my blessings), but has this issue been resolved since it the post back in April? Thx
              It is/was an issue between Apple/Max OSX and Adobe Flash (not reporting that the external monitor is HDCP compliant), so it's possible it was resolved. Or maybe you are watching SD? I don't think SD requires the same level of content protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                It is/was an issue between Apple/Max OSX and Adobe Flash (not reporting that the external monitor is HDCP compliant), so it's possible it was resolved. Or maybe you are watching SD? I don't think SD requires the same level of content protection.
                Has anyone come up with a solution/workaround for this yet? Still can't download my UV movie.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonDavis View Post
                  Has anyone come up with a solution/workaround for this yet? Still can't download my UV movie.
                  First of all sorry, if this has already been covered.
                  I think I've found a solution using Silverlight (as in Microsoft). I've recently moved over to a Mac and was struggling to get VUDU downloads to play smoothly, as well as being unable to play Flixter and HD downloads smoothly on a Mac mini. I've installed Silverlight and it seems to bridge the gap.
                  I'm based in the UK so can't stream off VUDU, only playback downloads but I don't see why it shouldn't work for the problem here.

Comment

I run Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my Mac Pro and the HDX content runs just as expected in Bootcamp Windows on this machine. So it is only software ... surely there is some workaround?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                      Hey Jake,

Has there been any updates on when this issue between VUDU and Apple will be resolved? It's clearly a software issue. Will Apple just not give you guys access to allow HDCP compliant software be written for MacOS?

Comment

Working...
                      X