Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Why I stopped using Vudu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I stopped using Vudu

I think Vudu is a pretty good site. It has a nice selection of movies and the image quality is very good.

The reason I will only use vudu as a 'last resort' is pretty simple; the 24 hour license.

I don't know who came up with this moronic idea, but a 24 hour rental is incredibly stupid. It made sense when you had a physical tape or disk that couldn't be rented again until you returned it; but in the digital age setting a timer on a rental is arbitrary and just plain dumb.

Vudu should instead rent by the viewing. If I start a movie with my kids on Friday night, and they fall asleep; I want to be able to pause that movie until we decide to finish it. Who cares if it's the next morning or the next weekend

We had an issue with a movie recently where either xbox live or vudu had server issues and our movie stopped playing. By the time the servers were sorted out the 24 hours had passed. It took over a month to get a refund. It would have been far better if vudu knew where we had paid for a rental and allowed us to finish the movie.

Vudu needs to get their heads out of the 20th century and understand the opportunities the digital age presents them. Until then I will stick to services that let me stream what I want, went I want, without an arbitrary timer on my rental.

Re: Why I stopped using Vudu

Most companies do this, Amazon.com and iTunes do it too, they have the 24 hour rental period.

You have 30 days from the time of rental to watch your movie and 24 hours after you've started viewing to finish it.

Comment

I suspect Vudu would like to offer longer rental periods also but Vudu doesn't own the rights to the movie and the company that does makes that decision. If anybody knows of a streaming rental service that offers longer than 24 or 48 hours once started, for the same movies, go ahead and point that out. I use several other services in addition to Vudu and none I use offer the kind of rental period the OP believes Vudu should offer.

Comment

Originally posted by doug1138 View Post
        Vudu needs to get their heads out of the 20th century and understand the opportunities the digital age presents them. Until then I will stick to services that let me stream what I want, went I want, without an arbitrary timer on my rental.
        What streaming service gives more than a 24-48 hour viewing period on a rental? I am not aware of any. I suspect none.

Comment

Well, your post answered one of my questions. I can't watch anything on VUDU that doesn't get interrupted every 10 minutes to "buffer". My husband and I were watching a movie the other night. It was interrupted so many times that we just gave up. When I tried to go back and watch the rest of it a couple of days later, it was gone. I'm new to any kind of digital movie service and didn't know about the 24 hour time limit. We are however, out $4.99 for a movie we didn't get to see because of buffering. Any ideas, besides unplugging my ROKU to free up memory, on what to do about buffering. I've tried the unplugging thing, it didn't work. I'm ready to leave VUDU and try something else.

Comment

Just because other services to it doesn't mean the policy of a 24-hour digital rental is the right policy. I agree with Doug. We're not talking about a physical copy, so we're not preventing others from renting. We are paying to watch the movie, so why start the clock when we start the movie? The clock should start ticking when we have reached the end of the movie.

When you rent a movie you can rent with the option to watch later. From that point you have 30 days to watch the movie. When you start watching the movie the time changes to 24 hours. I think the clock should not be reset from the 30 day period to the 24 hour period until you reach like the last 5 minutes of the movie. So if you rent a movie and watch half of it in the same day...you still have 30 days to finish watching the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
              Just because other services to it doesn't mean the policy of a 24-hour digital rental is the right policy. I agree with Doug. We're not talking about a physical copy, so we're not preventing others from renting. We are paying to watch the movie, so why start the clock when we start the movie? The clock should start ticking when we have reached the end of the movie.

When you rent a movie you can rent with the option to watch later. From that point you have 30 days to watch the movie. When you start watching the movie the time changes to 24 hours. I think the clock should not be reset from the 30 day period to the 24 hour period until you reach like the last 5 minutes of the movie. So if you rent a movie and watch half of it in the same day...you still have 30 days to finish watching the movie.
              -Enter the Devil's advocate-
              I find the following faults in the proposal: first, if a title should spuriously end and set a 'watched' ticker of some sort, further playback would be impossible; second, if a viewer were to avoid watching the last 5 minutes of a film (modern credits frequently exceed this timeframe) they could watch it as many times as desired in the 30day (or however long) window.

Comment

Every service I'm aware of use's the 24 hour window. That's pretty much up to the movie studio's and not Vudu.

The only buffer issues I've ever had with Vudu on dozen of different boxes over the year (including last week) can always been traced back to something NOT Vudu's fault. Even with HIGH speed internet WELL over twice what Vudu need's for HDX I can still get buffer issues. When I get them, being a Computer Science Minor, I can find problems with my ISP, router, signal interference, etc. It's frustrating to be sure and I get it more with Vudu than anyone else but it's NEVER Vudu's server. Keep in mind that Vudu's streams are bigger than most. Less compression, more surround channels, higher resolution, 3D. it all adds up and is going to tax even high end equipment and high speed connection.

I always tell client buy more than you need. You never want to run something at 100% because when you do there is always going to be a glitch somewhere that causes problems.

Comment

Not that it matters, but I am still not convinced.

Regarding not watching the credits in order to keep the movie the full 30 days...they could track how many times the movie is restarted. And I seriously doubt the movie industry doesn't cares...when I get a Netflix DVD in the mail I can keep it as long as I want (which is why I rarely rent movies from VUDU). If I want a movie cheap and for 24 hours then I visit RedBox (still waiting on RedBox Instant by Verizon to be available on Roku).

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
                    Not that it matters, but I am still not convinced.

Regarding not watching the credits in order to keep the movie the full 30 days...they could track how many times the movie is restarted. And I seriously doubt the movie industry doesn't cares...when I get a Netflix DVD in the mail I can keep it as long as I want (which is why I rarely rent movies from VUDU). If I want a movie cheap and for 24 hours then I visit RedBox (still waiting on RedBox Instant by Verizon to be available on Roku).
                    The 30 day / 24 hour limit is defined by the studios (though some studios are now allowing 48 hours), which is why all streaming services have the same restrictions. Netflix and Redbox physical media are different because they have purchased the DVDs so they set the rental terms.

Comment

That may be true, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid policy that must change to get my rental business. The consumer is paying twice as much money to watch the entire movie and setting a timer when we start watching the movie is not a very intelligent way to do it.

I can really sympathize with Doug because something similar happened to me. However, in my case it was me who fell asleep and because I wasn't awake to stop the movie it played all the way through...so I would be screwed either way.
                      I guess we need to find a way to record what we're watching...TiVo for the Roku device

Comment

Originally posted by James_S View Post
                        Most companies do this, Amazon.com and iTunes do it too, they have the 24 hour rental period.

You have 30 days from the time of rental to watch your movie and 24 hours after you've started viewing to finish it.
                        I am so confused. everyone keeps saying 24, some are saying 48. My account when I rented a movie said that I had 72 hours. I am so confused. if that was an old policy don't you think that you should remove or update these post and say that you now have 72 hours, so that people like me who are new will understand better.

Comment

Originally posted by josephbritton View Post
                          I am so confused. everyone keeps saying 24, some are saying 48. My account when I rented a movie said that I had 72 hours. I am so confused. if that was an old policy don't you think that you should remove or update these post and say that you now have 72 hours, so that people like me who are new will understand better.
                          The policy is 24-hours because it's the lowest common denominator. Nothing is less than 24-hours. If they can, and want to, offer something than 24-hours it's either posted on that specific title, or just goes unspoken. It would confuse and upset people even more to say if it's this studio it's 24 hours, that studio is 72, unless it's this one movie because the director want's it so then it's 48 hours.

People can talk policy all day long. It's silly that rent is $6 and purchase is $15. Why should rent be so much, or so little for a $45 title. Why can't you apply rent fee towards purchase. Why aren't rent fee's proportional.

Comment

I'm using my Amazon Prime membership more and more via my roku and less and less my Vudu membership. I have had zero problems watching amazon prime HD, but anytime I want to watch a vudu move I have to power cycle either my roku (otherwise I get the incessant "buffering" issue) or my bx100 (otherwise it freezes and reboots itself mid movie) depending on the TV I'm using. After a while, you just get tired of Vudu not fixing its issues.

Comment

I too am using Amazon more now that I have a Roku, but until they hook up with UV and allow me to stream movies that I own we will continue to use VUDU or CinemaNow...but we prefer VUDU over CinemaNow because CN is so darn slow because we have so many titles. I too have problems from time to time with VUDU on Roku.

Comment

Working...
                              X