Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Suddenly no HDX playback in Chrome browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly no HDX playback in Chrome browser

I am suddenly unable to play any movie in HDX (always get the "this movie can't be played in this quality" error. it's work just fine as of last week and suddenly i'm only able to watching in SD.

chrome version 86.0.4240.111
    Win 10 64-bit

i tested in Edge and i'm able to watch HDX in there with no issues. anyone have thoughts?

Due to a DRM issue affecting certain web browsers along at the request of the studios, Chrome and Firefox will only stream SD. Edge and Safari can still stream HDX. This is something that's being propagated with all digital providers.

Comment

Edit

Comment

Under forum post "Vudu UHD - Compatible Devices List" the language states "web browser" and makes no distinction or has no language stating a specific browser must be used.

The following is stated on the Vudu FAQ page under 1) Can I watch HDX on the web?:

"What browser should I use to watch movies in HDX?
        We support the following browsers - Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, we've seen the best results with using the Google Chrome browser."

You cannot alter or change the terms of a purchase AFTER it has been made.This is called contract alteration. I don't have a purchase agreement with "the studios" I have a purchase agreement with Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by ver2ual View Post
          Under forum post "Vudu UHD - Compatible Devices List" the language states "web browser" and makes no distinction or has no language stating a specific browser must be used.

The following is stated on the Vudu FAQ page under 1) Can I watch HDX on the web?:

"What browser should I use to watch movies in HDX?
          We support the following browsers - Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, we've seen the best results with using the Google Chrome browser."

You cannot alter or change the terms of a purchase AFTER it has been made.This is called contract alteration. I don't have a purchase agreement with "the studios" I have a purchase agreement with Vudu.
          I think this browser issue is a very recent development. The last time I streamed with Chrome, Vudu streamed in HD just fine.

Comment

Problem is that on Edge I can't playback anything. I just get a Vudu playback error message.

Comment

Same issue here in Chrome on Mac.
              Despite the Vudu Help page, I am getting NO PLAYBACK AT ALL on Safari, let alone HDX.

This is definitely relatively recent development. I specifically chose Vudu for my purchase of "The Outpost" since it was available earliest on Vudu.
              I have watched it at least 10x in HDX on Chrome on Mac. Just 2 weeks ago or so, I re-watched John Wick 3 in HDX on Chrome w/ no issues.
              NOW: Not even an option to toggle between HDX/SD. Just plays in in SD

To say that I'm EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED is an understatement.
              With all of my "Bundle & Saves" & all the times I've chosen Vudu over Amazon and PAID FOR HDX, I've spent close to $1000 on Vudu.

NOW I HAVE ZERO HDX OPTIONS ON MAC.

I totally agree with ver2ual's post above. I've completed MANY good faith purchases with Vudu and spent extra for HDX with clear instructions from Vudu that Chrome would work fine & support HDX - which it did. Now, the browser requirements page has been rewritten with no explanation for the loss of HDX in Chrome and back-dated to 2012.
              Add to the fact that I'm getting no Vudu playback at all on Safari and I really just super disappointed.

***And now I'm recalling that there was a recent DRM-security issue/exploit very recently. I think it enabled users to record streams under certain conditions. This exploit must be behind the sudden drop in support for HDX in Chrome. ONCE THIS DRM ISSUE IS RESOLVED WHY CAN'T THEY JUST RE-ENABLE HDX IN CHROME?!? THIS BLANKET BAN O HDX IN Chrome / FF IS A TOTALLY DRACONIAN OVERREACTION TO THIS RECENT DRM SECURITY FLAW. PLS: FIX THE DRM THEN RE-ENABLE HDX.***

I would definitely like some option for playing HDX on Mac - preferably on Chrome - just as I've always done for the ~$1000 in content that I've purchased form Vudu. Please tell me I didn't just get taken for a grand!

At the very least: (1) explain what happened (2) provide troubleshooting / guidance for no playback / no errors on Safari.(3) provide a roadmap for re-enabling HDX in Chrome.

Thank you. Urgh.

Comment

Not sure why my previous post was removed...

UPDATE: The "NO HDX" downgrade in Vudu is *DEFINITELY* due to a a recent problem found in Widevine DRM.
                (REF: Krebs on Security => Google Mending Another Crack in Widevine from Monday, October 26th, 2020)

I won't re-post the links here, although I am not sure why this public domain info is a problem to share on this forum.
                Moreover, the 2 links that I previously posted provide context, an explanation, and clarity for the sudden inability to play HDX in Vudu via MOST web browsers used by MOST loyal Vudu customers.

Furthermore, now that this issue with Widevine is public knowledge, I believe the emphasis should be on fixing the related design flaw / vulnerability (if a fix is indeed possible) and then promptly re-enabling HDX in Vudu on Google Chome & Firefox.

Only RECENT Macs with the T2 Security Chip AND very recent versions of Safari will work at all on Vudu. That's what my research has shown. I have an older Mac that used to work fine until the downgrade and now despite Vudu's guidance to "play HDX in Safari", I can't play *any* Vudu content at all.

Confusingly, the moderator states above that this huge playback quality downgrade was "at the request of the studios" which seems like an attempt to place the blame anywhere except on Vudu. HOWEVER, Amazon has not taken an such action and deals with the exact same studios. Whoever mandated this downgrade, it has turned $1000 of good-faith HDX purchases on Vudu in $1000 of regret.

Please educate yourself. Apparently I am not allowed to post any links but...
                ...It's simple: Widevine DRM has some long-standing and well known issues - more design issue than bugs - and like all DRM it is reliant on "security through obscurity". And even the most noob network admin knows that security through obscurity (aka obfuscation) is no security at all.

-Jason aka the SUPER "disappointedctmr" & one time EXTREMELY loyal Vudu customer...

Comment

Working...
                X