Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Help!! My box claims low bandwith?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! My box claims low bandwith?!

My wireless network consistantly gives 5-6 Mbps readings on vudu and speakeasy.net -- but the box has been showing low bandwith since last night.

The box option is set to use normal bandwith and I have flipped this option, rebooted the box, and the wireless bridge many times - to no avail. I also cleared the bandwidth history a couple times ...

I plugged the ethernet cable used by the vudu box into a laptop, and verified a 5 Mbps connection.

I even ran a 40ft ethernet cable from the vudu box directly to my router - same result...

Is it possible the box is having problems?

Re: Help!! My box claims low bandwith?!

A couple of questions. Has your wireless adapter disconnected recently? Has your downstream/upstream bandwidth been maxed out do to another application (bittorrent or other P2P). The VUDU tests bandwidth on a regular basis and could have become "confused" if your bandwidth was saturated or your wireless disconnected.

Two things you can try. One is to let the VUDU sit idle and let it determine the network capability. Or rent a movie and see if it goes from delayed movie viewing to immediate viewing.

One additional question. Are you using QOS on your router?

Comment

My adapter hadn't been disconnected recently. It had been working well for 2 days using the new zyxel router (in bridge mode). I let it sit all day today hoping it would straighten itself out, but it didn't.

Not much other traffic on the network besides two tivos. The bulk of activity seems to be from vudu.

The QOS is set to it's default, it's enabled for WMM support and disabled for "No Acknowldegement" -- whatever that means ..

I did notice something funny tho ... I was getting ready to watch a movie the other night ( I don't remember exactly what I did) somewhere when I was to select watch now or later I changed it to watch later because my wife wasn't ready yet - then it seems like it switched to "low bandwidth", almost like my choice caused it to switch ...

I guess I'll try to watch a movie and see if that changes things ... a 99 cent movie

Comment

I tried renting a movie and it told me I can watch it later, I can't watch it immediately. Now it's downloading ..

Every test I run on the network gives me a good reading, well over 2 Mbps ...

Comment

Please do not crosspost. As with just about any bulletin board, this one has a way to search for all unread posts, and forums/threads with new posts also show up orange in the main view, so no one will miss your post.

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
            I tried renting a movie and it told me I can watch it later, I can't watch it immediately. Now it's downloading ..

Every test I run on the network gives me a good reading, well over 2 Mbps ...
            I had the same thing the other night. However, after I rented a movie and it told me I could watch it later, I only waited about 5 minutes and then I was able to start watching it and the light went to green. It has been green ever since. It seemed to me that there was really no way to force it to do a speed test at any given point in time but it became convinced when it was able to download the movie itself. I don't know that is what happened. It just seemed like it.

Comment

It's a few hours later, the movie is on the box. I've let it run for 10 minutes and it's still lit yellow. I'm getting paranoid and am wondering if Comcast put the kibosh on the p2p traffic - but then this is only my 3rd movie in 2 weeks and the rest of the network is low activity.

But it's still yellow ...

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
                It's a few hours later, the movie is on the box. I've let it run for 10 minutes and it's still lit yellow. I'm getting paranoid and am wondering if Comcast put the kibosh on the p2p traffic - but then this is only my 3rd movie in 2 weeks and the rest of the network is low activity.

But it's still yellow ...
                Make sure that for some reason your network settings didn't get changed to "preserve network bandwidth" or whatever the setting is. Set it to Prioritize Vudu bandwidth.

If that's OK, try hardwiring the ethernet connection. If things are working then, you can blame the wireless link. I'm betting it's a wireless issue and something is interfering with your link (like a neighbor who got a new cordless phone or a new wireless router himself, etc.).

Jon

Comment

Same here -- Re: Help!! My box claims low bandwith?!

I bought a couple of VUDU boxes (one for one of my work colleagues) and we both see the same problem mentioned above.

Using vudu.com bandwidth test, we get really high results, in fact at my home (comcast broadband) the vudu.com bandwidth test exceeds 12mbps.

But the vudu box itself keeps saying low bandwidth, and I have tried all the steps mentioned above.

I am using a run-of-the-mill Netgear home gateway. The vudu.com test was done from a laptop running off the same LAN hub that is built-in to the home gateway.

Any ideas?

Comment

Does your colleague have Comcast too? That would really suck if Comcast made it so that Vudu users couldn't get instant playback. That article that was posted yesterday was pretty scary. I have Comcast as one of 3 connections being load balanced with a load balancing router. I have 5 Vudu boxes that all show fast network speed, though no box is communicating exclusively on that connection so I can't say for certain whether my Comcast would work for even a single box.

Any other exclusive Comcast users that can chime in here?

Comment

I am on Comcast but on Comcast Business. I have no issues with their Business service. I'll try streaming something this morning...

If they are doing this, then I would urge Vudu to take some action against them VERY swiftly. It's predatory and I have to believe there is some law against it somewhere!

Maybe Greg from Vudu can comment on this stuff and do some troubleshooting...

Comment

Re: Same here -- Re: Help!! My box claims low bandwith?!

Originally posted by 82n280 View Post
                        Using vudu.com bandwidth test, we get really high results, in fact at my home (comcast broadband) the vudu.com bandwidth test exceeds 12mbps.
                        I just thought of something to consider.

Comcast uses what they call "Powerboost" on the first 15 MB or so of a transfer. They crank the speed up really fast and then after the first 15 MB, it lowers to it's "normal" rate. Same goes for the upstream side as well. So the speed tests w/Comcast aren't really 100% accurate by any stretch of the imagination.

You can run some speed tests at www.dslreports.com/stest that test for longer time and will send progressively larger files to help filter out the powerboost thing.

You need to see what speed package you actually have with Comcast. They start out now as low as 768 kbps. You really want their 4 Mb/sec or higher service.

What tier do you have?

Comment

I've pretty much ruled out the wireless components. I tried a cable directly to the router, the speed is good.

You're right about the test results, they vary wildly, from 15Mbps to 4 Mbps, but never under 4Mbps, so the connection should be fast enough. I did see messages saying the network is fluctuating, but as long as it's fast enough vudu shouldn't care. I have also tried different sites, speakeasy.net , etc.

I've changed the network settings to different static IP addresses and back to dhcp, hoping that the box would retest the network connection, but the light stays yellow.

Comment

Hmm...

What sort of router do you have? Is it SNMP capable? If so, do you know how to use SNMP? If you do, then download PRTG traffic grapher from www.paessler.com. This nifty little program will create graphs of your bandwidth usage. We could then easily see what's going on from your system when attempting to stream a movie, etc. Here's what it looks like:

That is a live image of my traffic. It would be useful to see what is happening with your connection...

Comment

(From SlashDot)

It's been widely reported by now that Comcast is throttling BitTorrent traffic. What has escaped attention is the fact that Comcast, like the Great Firewall of China use forged TCP Reset (RST) packets to do the job. While the Chinese government can do what they want, it turns out that Comcast may actually be violating criminal impersonation statues in states around the country. Simply put, while it's legal to block traffic on your network, forging data to and from customers is a big no-no.
                              http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Another interesting article about comcast, I called them and the rep was clueless ...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...rrent-traffic/

Is Vudu using P2P software like BT or do you think they are using BT?

NA9D,

Maybe Vudu get confused by the powerboost because it did say that the network was unstable, I don't know ..

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into trying the grapher. Unfortunately your graph didn't display properly ...

Comment

Working...
                              X