Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

wirless adapter that supports WPA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wirless adapter that supports WPA?

I see the official tested list of network equipment contains the Belkin Wireless Game Adpater. But both it and the Linksys competitor only support WEP. The Zcom XG-580 may do WPA but I want to buy local in case it doesn't work.

How in the world is everyone setting up the vudu on an existing wireless network? I had Linksys WRT54GS v. 4 laying around that I was going to use but after looking at it I don't think it can server as an access point. If you plug in ethernet source it will create a wireless network, but if you have an existing wirless network it won't route that network wirelessly to its 4 ethernet ports. ugggggh

Yes, I could lower my network down to WEP and just buy one of the gaming adapters, but using WEP is like using nothing at all. :-(

Re: wirless adapter that supports WPA?

I'm no network pro, but I was using a Linksys WGA54G gaming adapter that supported wpa. It was dropping every night. A friend gave me an Zyxel P330W router ($35 on amazon) that can be switched to wireless bridge mode. You give it an IP address, switch the mode, and it works like a champ, and it supports WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc ...

Comment

I used a Linksys and a Buffalo loaded with Tomato firmware to give me wireless with the VUDU. The Buffalo is in client mode and it was cheaper than buying a gaming adpater. The Linksys is my root router. I am running WPA/AES and never have any drops....

Let me know if you need some help...

Comment

Yeah, I was hoping to be able to buy something locally to get this up and running before the weekend (we have Best Buy, CompUSA, Staples, Office Depot) but going by online availability of their websites I may be out of luck. :-(

I have an Actiontec DSL Wireless gateway (GT701-WG) with only a desktop connected via ethernet and an occasional laptop using wireless. I was hoping to just be able to get an adapter / access point that could plug into the Vudu and get on the existing wireless network. In fact, am now willing to lower to WEP if need be (if I could just find that Belkin Game adapter) as the laptop doesn't ever do anything sensitive and the desktop is ethernet. But not sure I will be able to even find a WEP gaming adapter in town.

But do have the Linksys WRT54GS and a USB wifi adapter for the desktop collecting dust...if needed I could make the Linksys the root router and get another (maybe like your Buffalo) for the Vudu, but don't mind spending the extra $ to hook up a gaming adapter and not have to change things around either.

Hopefully my hunt tomrrow will turn up some gaming adapter or bridge in town, though if it doesnt' work going to be hard telling if it is the adapter or the Actiontec that doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
          I used a Linksys and a Buffalo loaded with Tomato firmware...
          Hey wait a minute, can the Tomato firmware turn my Linksys into an adapter? A wireless adpater / bridge just so I can plug the vudu into one of its ethernet ports and get on the wireless network created by the Actiontech?

Comment

Yes but it depends on the model. You said you had a GS right? Then you can load Tomato on it and put it into client mode. You'd be all set...

Comment

I'm simply using homeplug adaptors, actually just ONe adaptor in the LR and one in the office where the router is. In the LR, I have a small no management switch that manages the networking for the two slingboxes, ps3, and the vudu. they SEEM to play nice with each other, and with these HD adaptors I get about 20-30MB throughput to the switch in the LR.

very easy plug and play.

Comment

yeah, 54GS version 4. flashed to Tomato ok (as I enter tomato now via browser) but my first attempts didn't work...probably because I was just guessing at the settings.not sure client mode vs wireless bridge (wet) mode, but by the time I tried a couple it was getting late. need to find directions somewhere for WET (or client) but it is sounding promising.my last try I selected wet, matched up the ssid & channel, but it didn't appear to connect. At least my laptop didn't see the network plugged into the 54GS. Elsewhere read I need to disable dhcp on tomato & assign it a fake static ip (10.0.0.1 for instance) so will give that a shot tonight.but hopefully Tomato or HyperWRT Thibor will work! thanks for getting me this far.

Comment

I thought about going the power line route but at least one end (the dslt & router) would have to be on power strip & didn't knowif that would make a difference (vs plugging into the wall)

Comment

I have used the homeplug on a power strip before, didn't check the throughput, but it worked. They disclaim that one shouldn't od it though.

But, is there NO way to have one of the wall plugs (assuming there is a regular jack of two) for the homeplug?

I have one as homeplug in the office, the other plug goes to a UPS. from the UPS I run a strip that is battery BU for DSL, router, monitor, voip and main CPU. On another strip is all the other non-critical stuff.

If one doesn't use a UPS, one can always daisy-chain the power strips.

the other thing that is possibly, is that IF there is ANOTHER plug somewhere in the room, just run a longer ethernet cable from the router to the homeplug in the room, whereever it is plugged in. Most more modern homes ala last 20-30 years have code that requires a wall plug every 6-8 ft. - I think :-)

Comment

The Belkin Wireless G Gaming Adapter supports WPA. Make sure you get the model F5D7330.
                      Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

Hey RonV, in client mode what ethernet port do you use on the buffalo? Tthe linksys has 4 + 1 where the single would be where you pluggedyou dsl modem into if the linksys was going to serve as a normal router/access point.but if I do client mode I timato I was trying one of the 4 regular ports. this right or does it matter?to last poste: I must have looked at wrong specs then on that belkin gaming adapter....may order it if can't get the tomato'ed linksys to work in client or wet mode.

Comment

You can use any of the 4 but only connect one device. When you put Tomato into client mode you don't have to disable anything. It automatically disables the DHCP server and makes other configuration changes. That why I like Tomato as compaired to other 3rd party firmwares.

The best way of making client mode work is to do the site survey and find your router and make note of the channel and you ssid. Then go into the basic network configuration and select "Wireless Client". Put in your channel and SSID along with your security settings. Do the save the in abount a minute on the status page you should see your Tomato router connect to the main router.

Again you can only connect one device so power off the VUDU and then connect the network cable to any of the 4 ports (I use port 1) and then power up the VUDU....

Originally posted by bspooky View Post
                          Hey RonV, in client mode what ethernet port do you use on the buffalo? Tthe linksys has 4 + 1 where the single would be where you pluggedyou dsl modem into if the linksys was going to serve as a normal router/access point.but if I do client mode I timato I was trying one of the 4 regular ports. this right or does it matter?to last poste: I must have looked at wrong specs then on that belkin gaming adapter....may order it if can't get the tomato'ed linksys to work in client or wet mode.

Comment

Well that ended up being easy. Hanks all for the options. Ended up using client mode in tomato on the linksys. I have NO idea why the first 5-6 times doing that didn't work (though a couple may have been encryption issues) but kept reading how brainless client mode was to set up so reflashes, reset, turned off wpa & poof, in seconds it was working. Added wep in & worked. didn't get wpa as main router (actually actiontech dsl modem gateway) is a little funky about that but will just live woth wep for now.If I come across a linksys or buffalo that can be updated with tomato I will probably do so and attatch to my actiontech to get back to wpa.....but for now it is movie time!!!

Comment

Hey Ron,

What about Buffalo's Wireless Ethernet Extender. It looks like their routers except it operates in client mode and has a 4 port switch. So I'm assuming you could connect multiple devices to it.

Have you messed with that product?

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X