Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Need help setting up wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help setting up wireless

I bought the vudu because of its ability to communicate with my existing home wireless network. It's taken three of us all day with two expensive trips to Best Buy and we still can't figure out how to do it.

Can you please explain how I can connect the vudu wirelessly to my home network? Like what plugs into what, and what make and model equipment do I need to get. I didn't really figure this was going to be so difficult.

One question I have is how the wireless equipment will be able to access my home network -- my wireless network is security-enabled - so how does the vudu get into the network? Do I type the password somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Need help setting up wireless

Tell us about your setup, with as much detail as possible about your other networked devices.

Tell us exactly which Router make/model.

Tell us about the other things you have networked successfully, and what devices you are using to do this.

Tell us what things you already bought and tried from Best Buy, including how you tried to set it up.

The more you can tell us, the easier it will be to get you up and running.

Comment

It sounds like you assume that the vudu box has built in wireless networking.

But it doesn't. You need a wireless bridge (usually sold as gaming adapters) to connect the vudu box to a wireless network.

Hagen.

Comment

I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem (Model SB5101) hooked to a Linksys wireless router (Model WRT54G). I have a laptop successfully interfacing with this wireless network now.

First we bought a Belkin Wirelss G USB Network Adapter 802.11g -54Mbps. Running the network test thing on vudu didn't find the wireless network.

Back to Best Buy and bought and additional Motorola Surfboard, figured we'd run that right into the vudu box, but took us several hours of messing and a call to the Time-Warner repair desk to find out we're not allowed to have two cable modems on the same account. What??

So we're back to square one. Don't know how to hook up the vudu wirelessly.

Is that enough info to get some recommendations on what hardware to purchase and how to plug the things together?

Many thanks - Marty

Comment

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
          It sounds like you assume that the vudu box has built in wireless networking.

But it doesn't. You need a wireless bridge (usually sold as gaming adapters) to connect the vudu box to a wireless network.

Hagen.
          Thanks for the info. We're not assuming vudu has built in wireless networking capability - I just don't know what to buy. Can you recommend a make and model of a gaming adapter to buy? Is that all I need? Plug it right into the vudu and it'll find my network?

How will the gaming adapter deal with the password that I have on the wireless network?

Thanks a lot!!

Comment

The VUDU box does not support USB wireless adapters. You will need a wireless adapter that has an ethernet port.

I'm not sure which models work well and which don't. But I'm assuming that any brand (linksys, d-link or netgear) wireless G gaming adapter should work. Since you have a linksys router (and are probably familiar with it) I would recommend to also buy a linksys gaming adapter (like the Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter).

The setup usually requires you to connect a PC or laptop to it and configure it (they support all the security features that wireless routers support). This will also allow you to test the connectivity through the adapter with your laptop or PC. I would also recommend to test how good the connection is where you want to set it up for the vudu box.

I hope this helps,

Hagen.

Comment

Thanks, Hagen. I ordered the Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter from Best Buy, will pick it up tomorrow. So you say I need to hook it up to my computer first to configure it, then plug it into the vudu and I should be set?

Curious - are you guys vudu employees or just enthusiasts?

Comment

I'm an employee - kind of bored today, since the power is out at VUDU...

Most of the moderators are beta testers that help us out moderating these forums and answering questions. They probably know more about the issues with our box in the field than I do. ...between the job and the kids I don't have much time to play with my VUDU box at home.

Customer support is usually also on this forum. But they can't work today - no power...

Hagen.

Comment

Power's out, huh? That must have been why we were getting the "Network Down" message. Didn't know if that meant our net here, or yours there! Thanks again for the tips. I'll post up here tomorrow if I still can't figure it out.

Have a good (slow) night.

Comment

Originally posted by PlayWithGravity View Post
                    Thanks, Hagen. I ordered the Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter from Best Buy, will pick it up tomorrow. So you say I need to hook it up to my computer first to configure it, then plug it into the vudu and I should be set?
                    Yeah. You _may_ have to reboot the gaming adapter for it to pick up VUDU after you've configured it.

Curious - are you guys vudu employees or just enthusiasts?
                    Sometimes both

-- Greg

Comment

Power's out, huh? That must have been why we were getting the "Network Down" message. Didn't know if that meant our net here, or yours there! Thanks again for the tips. I'll post up here tomorrow if I still can't figure it out.
                      Power's only out at one location, but not where the services are hosted. The services are still up (I know for a fact as I just rented a movie with it )

-- Greg

Comment

The power outage should not affect the vudu service. ...we were just drawing too much power where we have our offices and caused the building's transformer to give up (three or four power outages in the last few weeks). Today they put a new transformer in...

...my wife likes that, since I'll work less.

And as Greg said - yes we are all enthusiasts as well.

Hagen.

Comment

You _may_ have to reboot the gaming adapter for it to pick up VUDU after you've configured it.
                          Is there a reboot button on the gaming adapter or something? How do I reboot it once it's hooked to the vudu?

Greg- nice avatar I just did my first track day, had a great time on my Buell.

Comment

Is there a reboot button on the gaming adapter or something? How do I reboot it once it's hooked to the vudu?
                            I think all you have to do is powercycle it. I doubt any of those devices have a special button for that... but who knows!

Greg- nice avatar I just did my first track day, had a great time on my Buell.
                            Track days are fun. I remember my first one... couldn't wipe off that smile for days!

-- Greg

Comment

Okay - thanks for the gaming adapter tips.

Are you east or west coast? We were at Virginia International Raceway running with Nesba. Fun time. Will do more in the spring for SURE!

Comment

Working...
                              X