Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

How to go Wireless with Vudu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to go Wireless with Vudu

UPDATE - See the new Vudu Wireless device at http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php...light=wireless

Here are my suggestions for a novice at Networking to "go wireless" with Vudu.

Disclaimers:
    Please note that Vudu recommends wired connections for best performance -- this is the preferred solution. However, a direct connection is not possible for all Vudu users. If you are one of those, read on.

This post was written by a "novice" at networking, with "novice users" in mind. Experts please post your suggestions and any corrections in this thread.

Step 1:
    - Check your wireless network speed (speed test available on the vudu.com website at http://speedtest.vudu.com/cdn1/) at the "destination point" (ultimate location) of your Vudu box to make sure that your speed and signal are sufficient for use with Vudu.

Step 1(a):
    - If you don't have sufficient speed/signal but need to go wireless with Vudu, consider:
    --> a powerline networking solution (where you send your network signal through your home power outlets) (For more see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerline_networking)
    --> moving to Cable broadband (typically faster than DSL)
    --> upgrading your wireless router to one with more power and a better signal* or upgrading your wireless router antenna.

*(The information below about increasing the transmit power of the wireless router through the use of third party firmware on a compatible router may be of use in this regard. Third party firmware, like Tomato, can be used on the "wi-fi" router as well as to convert a router to a wireless ethernet "bridge" or wireless "client". If these terms are unfamiliar, please read the following Wiki posts after reading this entire thread: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G.)

Step 2:
    - Buy a wireless bridge. A "wireless bridge" is a device which will "receive" your home wireless signal and transmit it (via an ethernet cable) to your Vudu box, giving your Vudu "wi-fi". (For more on a wireless bridge see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_bridge).

Vudu recommends a Belkin bridge. Contact Vudu customer support for their latest feedback on what works best with the Vudu box.

OR

- Buy a router and convert it to a wireless bridge or a wireless client. This is a technical solution but one even a novice can undertake with patience and care. A "wireless client" is like a wireless bridge, which can send the "incoming" wireless signal to more than one device you may wish to network.

Step 2(a):
    - If you are "converting" a router to a bridge or client, consider buying the Linksys WRT54GL router (the "GL" model is essential) and replacing the Linksys software on the modem with third party firmware.
    --> Here are the basic steps for setting up a Wireless Bridge: (Note: Wireless bridge mode only support 1 device on the router. This is due to MAC addressing in the 802.11 protocol. Even though the router has 4 ports in this mode you can only support one device - RonV)

** Before performing these steps, and in conjunction with making any of the changes below to your router configuration, consult this useful Wiki guide: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware. **

(Also, Google other articles for basic considerations, such as those found here: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/print.php/3682341)

Now, back to the setup:
    (i) Buy a WRT54GL router.
    (ii) Follow the basic set up instructions
    (iii) Download to your computer the Tomato firmware
    (iv) Follow instructions (reboot your modem and router, etc.) to ensure proper installation
    (v) Type in the "router" IP address into your browser (w/ the router plugged in to your computer) to access the Tomato router set up interface (default is 162.198.1.1)
    (a picture of this interface is at http://www.polarcloud.com/img/ssbn100.png)
    (vi) Make the following changes via the Tomato router management tool under "Basic" / "Network" (in the left hand bar of the Tomato management window):
    (a) Set up the security to match your wi-fi router security settings (i.e. WPA, etc.);
    (b) In the box to the right of "SSID" type the name of your home network (i.e. what you see when you access your wi-fi network at home, such as "Jones Residence" or "Belkin" etc.);
    (c) *Manually* change the last portion of the "Router IP Address" to something new -- for example, 162.198.1.300. (Note: the highest value for a network address is 254...300 is invalid -RonV)
    (d) Set the "Wireless Mode" to "Wireless Ethernet Bridge" (Note: in Wireless Bridge you can only connect one device to the router even though the router has 4 ports. This is a limitation of MAC addressing in 802.11-RonV)
    (v) Consider making (SEE WARNING BELOW) the following change (also via the Tomato router management tool) under "Advanced" (in the left hand bar of the Tomato management window):Change the power setting
    (e) Consider increasing the transmit power output of your bridge to *no more than* "84" (the default is 42). (Warning: 84 is too high for a non-fan cooled router. The transmitter will burn out. Personal recomendation is to only set the power if signal is lower that 30 db's. If less that 30 db on the root router then increase to no higher that 60 using increments of 2-Ronv)
    WARNING: Transmit Power sets the transmit power in milliwatts. High settings may overheat and shorten the life of the transmitter. User feedback suggests "84" will not overheat the transmitter -- although this may have an adverse effect on the life of the transmitter/router.
    (vi) REBOOT your wireless modem (i.e. Cable modem) (wait 20+ seconds), reboot your home Wi-Fi router (wait 20+ seconds), and reboot your (now) Wireless Bridge.
    --> Here are the basic steps for setting up a Wireless Client:

If instead of setting up a Wireless Bridge you wish to set up a "Wireless Client" watch this Polarcloud video (keeping in mind the information above): http://www.polarcloud.com/v/scclient.htm
    Questions about Tomato may be addressed in the following FAQ:
    Step 3
    Connect your Vudu to your bridge/client via an Ethernet cable (supplied with your Vudu box).

(If you have set up a router as a bridge, be sure to plug the ethernet cable into the first [marked "1"] position in the back of the router/bridge, and not into the "internet" connection or those marked "2" - "4").

Step 4
    Reboot Vudu. Vudu should take you through the setup and be able to "identify" your network connection automatically -- you should be "good to go."

If Vudu does not recognize your network, you can "Manually Configure" your set up in the Vudu set up menu, using the custom IP address you established for your bridge (if you converted a router to a bridge). Because the bridge / client should recognize your home network, this step should not be necessary. Consider calling Vudu customer service.

I do not have the time to answer PMs about networking, but with these resources and reading the various threads on Vudu, most users should be able to set up their Vudu boxes wirelessly.
    Last edited by Nded; 06-08-2008, 05:28 PM. Reason: Added note about the new Vudu wireless device

Re: How to go Wireless with Vudu

This is a good guide but there are many advanced items here that can adversely effect router longevity and network. I have noted some of the more dangerous items. If you do need help with networking I am more than glad to help since I have setup many wireless bridges using 3rd party firmware including DD-WRT, Tomato, and Hyperwrt.

I would suggest that everyone stay away from gaming adapters do to their limited memory and poor connection management settings.

You can ether post the questions here or PM me.

-RonV

Comment

Actually, the warning about setting the power is dependent on the router.

If you have something like the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, it uses a 250 mW power amplifier from Anadigics. It is made to operate at that output power level just fine with no extra cooling (I sell parts for a competitor to Anadigics). So with that router, you can crank the power setting way up. I think mine is up around 220 w/no problems.

The problem is on routers without the high power PAs. They use just the WiFi chipset to generate the output power. In that case, I would agree 100% with Ron.

Comment

This is an awesome series of threads that helped me immensely with my Vudu wireless configuration. I do want to point out that I was able to successfully get a Linksys WRT54G (in addition to GL) set up as a bridge using tomato. The caveat is the router has to be one of the earlier hardware versions (v1-4). Seems to be working great now! thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini View Post
          This is an awesome series of threads that helped me immensely with my Vudu wireless configuration. I do want to point out that I was able to successfully get a Linksys WRT54G (in addition to GL) set up as a bridge using tomato. The caveat is the router has to be one of the earlier hardware versions (v1-4). Seems to be working great now! thanks.
          Well, there is a version of two of hardware that ended up running VX Works as the OS instead of Linux. But I think the outcry was so loud that Linksys is providing Linux based units again.

Comment

Well I was thinking of posting this weeks ago but for fear of getting my hands slapped by Vudu engineers i remained silent but what the hay...this might help some get connected to Vudu that otherwise would not. What I am doing for an internet connection, believe it or not, is a mobile 3G connection card (Sprint-Pantec PX-500) attached to a Linksys router WRT-54g-3Gst and it works ok...I don't get a green light but I do get a fairly consistent yellow light so I get delayed viewing which for my purpose is fine. It took a good 24 hrs to get the Bourne series but a regular rental takes about 2 hrs. I realize this does not support instant on demand viewing but for someone that already has the mobile broadband connection card and no dsl or cable internet connection at home this might be an alternative to consider.

Comment

Just be aware that this mobile broadband cards that say "unlimited" are sometimes not truly unlimited. I know in Illinois the Sprint service states that there could be penalties for going over 8 gig per month.

AT&T is also amending their contracts for their "unlimited" service but I am not sure what they are setting the cap for penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                Just be aware that this mobile broadband cards that say "unlimited" are sometimes not truly unlimited. I know in Illinois the Sprint service states that there could be penalties for going over 8 gig per month.

AT&T is also amending their contracts for their "unlimited" service but I am not sure what they are setting the cap for penalties.
                Hmmm....

When I live in Illinois and when I signed up for my Sprint data card last April, I read ALL the fine print in everything and nowhere did Sprint talk about limits on their service - what you could or could not do, etc. I read it very thoroughly as I use my Slingboxes quite a bit and didn't want to run afoul of anything. I also have Verizon service with my Treo and their TOS read completely differently with what you can and can't do, etc.. I've not heard of anyone having issues with Sprint and data volumes.

That said, I would not recommend using the Vudu with any sort of wireless internet connection. The amount of traffic the box uses for download and generally for uploads is just a lot over the course of a month and could cause problems with your ISP.

BTW: You wouldn't get your hands slapped for posting anything like this!

Comment

I am aware that wireless is not preferred by VUDU but my point was that if like in my case where one does not have a wired internet connection in house, this set up does work ok if you don't mind delayed delivery...I am concerned and interested in your last comment though about causing problems with my ISP..what exactly does that mean? I am not concerned about data useage as my understanding is it is unlimited and besides the wireless router was sold to me through Sprint with their primary selling point being to allow several computers in home or at a work site to utilize the bandwith and besides that the monthly charge for these cards is not cheap so if there was a limit no one would have them.

Comment

Uh, for most of the cards from most carriers, unlimited is not truly unlimited. Read the TOS of carriers like Verizon and Cingular.

Most wireless ISPs use shared channels for distributing content among subscribers. It's not so much an issue with EVDO and cellular based wireless systems because they have good infrastructures. But a lot of services use Canopy or similar wireless point to multi-point distributions systems. One user can seriously take up all the bandwidth and degrade the experience for everyone else on the system. That's why most wireless carriers have limits on data transfer or they cut your speed back severely after an initial "fast" burst.

Again, the major cell operators don't really have this but your data speed with EVDO will come and go as loading of voice calls on your local cell tower come and go as well as voice has priority over data. But given that I've not seen any limitations by Sprint (Ron says he's heard of such - I haven't), you are fine in trying to find those limits...

Comment

My card is EVDO Rev A ...What I was worried about with your previous comment about problems with ISP was if this would "wear out" my data card prematurely. Incidentally, I was told by a Sprint rep that EVDO rev B was "coming soon". If and when this happens I would expect a green light is possible with my existing VUDU setup since EVDO rev B is supposed to provide 9mbps max with 4mbps average i think.

Comment

Originally posted by calmike View Post
                        My card is EVDO Rev A ...What I was worried about with your previous comment about problems with ISP was if this would "wear out" my data card prematurely. Incidentally, I was told by a Sprint rep that EVDO rev B was "coming soon". If and when this happens I would expect a green light is possible with my existing VUDU setup since EVDO rev B is supposed to provide 9mbps max with 4mbps average i think.
                        First, I want to thank you for sharing your "outside of the box" success story. I've long subscribed to the "why not try it" school of technology implementation. But I am curious where you are located that a hard-wired service to the home is not a more economical solution. Would you mind telling us about your local market and the ISP alternatives you have to choose from?

Comment

Originally posted by calmike View Post
                          My card is EVDO Rev A ...What I was worried about with your previous comment about problems with ISP was if this would "wear out" my data card prematurely.
                          Electronics are not like mechanical devices. They really don't wear out - well, not within any of our lifetimes...

Comment

I am in Los Angeles Ca and prior to getting my VUDU I did have a 14.95 DSL connection with ATT/yahoo but cancelled it because I need a mobile connection for my business and decided that I did not need both. It seems that even if I had kept the DSL the speed would still be too slow for a green light on VUDU because the basic DSL service is 768Kbps, my EVDO rev A sevice will do that and better and if Rev B becomes reality I will be in the "green" (referring to light on the VUDU not money unfortunately). I did purchase the Linksys router after getting the VUDU because it solved 2 problems..it provides a hard wire ethernet connection for VUDU and allows all computers in my household to access the internet via wifi.

Comment

Forgot to mention..the downside of my setup obviously is that when I am "on the road" with my evdo card the house system is off the air including VUDU. Time will tell if that becomes a real problem...but for now I can live with it..whether or not the rest of my family can remains to be seen!

Comment

Working...
                              X