Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

How to go Wireless with Vudu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to go Wireless with Vudu

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
    But given that I've not seen any limitations by Sprint (Ron says he's heard of such - I haven't), you are fine in trying to find those limits...
    My friendl lives in Woodstock, IL and has EVDO A. I verified with him today that this is a 8 gig limiation in his contract even though the card is in a Linksys router and he is sharing the bandwith with 2 PC in his home. His is also targeted for an upgrade for the B revision.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
      My friendl lives in Woodstock, IL and has EVDO A. I verified with him today that this is a 8 gig limiation in his contract even though the card is in a Linksys router and he is sharing the bandwith with 2 PC in his home. His is also targeted for an upgrade for the B revision.
      Interesting. When did he sign his contract? Mine says nothing about bandwidth limitations...

Comment

Well I may be in for trouble..I just checked out the small print on terms of service. For Verizon they specify a 5gb limit but for Sprint they dont give an amount but here is what they say:

"Specific Terms & Restrictions On Using Data Services
        In addition to the rules for using all of our other Services, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, wireless routers, Data Link, etc.), you can't use our data Services: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions; and (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections. We reserve the right to limit, suspend or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our network performance or hinders access to our network. If your Services include web or data access, you also can't use your Device as a modem for computers or other equipment, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, with "phone as modem" plans, Sprint Mobile Broadband card plans, wireless router plans, etc.)."

Comment

Typical disclaimer stuff so that in case you do start hosing their system, they can shut you off. That said, your router has been identified as an acceptable device (but Vudu hasn't!). Still Verizon prohibits routers outright.

The Vudu does use some of the data channel almost continuously. So if anything would bring attention to Sprint, it's not likely the amount of data but the amount of time that your channel is continuously active.

The worst you can do is see what happens. If they start getting po'd at you, the first thing they'll do is send you a "cease and desist" letter. You then beg forgiveness and change the Vudu to a land line ISP.

It's always easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
            Interesting. When did he sign his contract? Mine says nothing about bandwidth limitations...
            Don't know.

Comment

Step 2(a):
              - If you are "converting" a router to a bridge or client, consider buying the Linksys WRT54GL router (the "GL" model is essential) and replacing the Linksys software on the modem with third party firmware.
              --> Here are the basic steps for setting up a Wireless Bridge: (Note: Wireless bridge mode only support 1 device on the router. This is due to MAC addressing in the 802.11 protocol. Even though the router has 4 ports in this mode you can only support one device - RonV)
              I did the above with WRT54GL and DD-WRT (wireless bridge mode) firmware and I know some posters on these forums still don't agree with this, but I have 3 devices now plugged into the router and the MAC addressing works fine. This has been working fine since Xmas! I love it.

Device 1: Vudu
              Device 2: Xbox 360
              Device 3: PC with Ethernet connection

All work flawlessly and simultaneously.

Now, if Vudu would just get with the program and allow me to display photos and play MP3's we could all avoid getting marginalized by the Steve Job's marketing machine.

Yes, I know the Xbox will allow this with a media center PC...I'm not paying anymore to the Gates Foundation either.

Comment

If its working fine that is great. My research has shown that there is still some type of adress resoltuion running in client bridge mode in dd-wrt. In true bridge mode ARP would not be running at the MAC layer.

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
                  I did the above with WRT54GL and DD-WRT (wireless bridge mode) firmware and I know some posters on these forums still don't agree with this, but I have 3 devices now plugged into the router and the MAC addressing works fine. This has been working fine since Xmas! I love it.

Device 1: Vudu
                  Device 2: Xbox 360
                  Device 3: PC with Ethernet connection

All work flawlessly and simultaneously.

Now, if Vudu would just get with the program and allow me to display photos and play MP3's we could all avoid getting marginalized by the Steve Job's marketing machine.

Yes, I know the Xbox will allow this with a media center PC...I'm not paying anymore to the Gates Foundation either.
                  You can't deny that Bill Gates is putting his money to good use. Doesn't he plan to donate the bulk of his fortune to charitable organiztions? He's already given away billions, with many billions more left to give away.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                    If its working fine that is great. My research has shown that there is still some type of adress resoltuion running in client bridge mode in dd-wrt. In true bridge mode ARP would not be running at the MAC layer.
                    RonV - Do you have any thoughts on how to test this or any other weakness in DD-WRT for this config? I am happy to try and break it.

I am still surprised I could configure the router to manage all this as well as it does...that is after I spent 4+ hours screwing with the Linksys Game Adapter, searching Planet Earth for the elusive Belking router, searching for a spare power outlet within cable hiding distance of the vudu, and cursing Vudu for not making the box wireless to begin with.

Comment

searching Planet Earth for the elusive Belking router,
                      I think I have one laying around!

Oh yeah, but I put DD-WRT on it...

Comment

RonV - Do you have any thoughts on how to test this or any other weakness in DD-WRT for this config? I am happy to try and break it.

I am still surprised I could configure the router to manage all this as well as it does...that is after I spent 4+ hours screwing with the Linksys Game Adapter, searching Planet Earth for the elusive Belking router, searching for a spare power outlet within cable hiding distance of the vudu, and cursing Vudu for not making the box wireless to begin with.
                        Just running it as you are is testing it enough, its supporting your configuration. If something does crop up just post it here.

Its amazing how much better 3rd party firmwares are vs. the vendor's firmwares. The problem I have with DD-WRT is there QOS configuration is not robust as Tomato's, but you are not using that feature in "Bridge" mode. Other than than its a great firmware. As I posted somewhere else, the 3rd party firmware turns a 40 dollar router into a 1000 dollar router if you were to look for the same features from Cisco.

Have fun with your VUDU.

Comment

UPDATE - see the Vudu Wireless adapter at http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php...light=wireless

Comment

Does anyone know if I'm able to connect the VUDU box to a Linksys 2100 Media Extender to get the wireless connection from my network? The 2100 extender basically connects to my network and my PC. I'd like to use the wifi connection off of the extender to get the VUDU box on my network, is this possible?

Comment

Hey I read this post after setting up my network and sorta glad I did.

I've got a couple belkin g routers one setup in wireless bridging mode and the other as a router.

I did this partly because I already had a belkin and found it had a wireless bridging mode.

and secondly I could pay for both of them for less than half the cost of any other game adapter or wireless solution.

The only thing I've found is that WPA doesn't work between the two routers.

Other than that everything works fine. and a damn good thing I set it up this way as my TV (samsung ln52a650) has an 'info link' function that lets it get online and download updated news and weather. Not the greatest functioning feature but it's kinda cool to have.

I'm able to get both the tv and the vudu plugged into the one router and working without a problem. I can even plug in a computer and it works just fine.

I didn't know there was this huge problem with firmwares and all for bridging. I just knew that bridging wasn't really defined in 802.11 so trying to go cross brand for a true bridge wasn't a good idea.

Was there a problem with using Belkin that caused people to go this route?

Just curious because as of now they seem to be among the cheapest routers out there and really the only ones that I see fullly support bridging.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X