Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

The big thing Apple has going for it is name and price. But the 160 GB version is $329. Vudu gives you a 250 GB hard drive for $399. So the pricing isn't that much different. The $229 is just for 40 Gigs...
    Sorry man, but this is a silly argument. The real comparison is the $229 UNLIMITED Apple TV compared to the $399 unlimited Vudu. The real difference is that you have ample control over the content of the Apple TV where as you have to call Vudu to have them manually delete their box so you can load more content. That is a major difference in convenience, considering convenience is what Vudu is supposed to get right.
    http://www.blitzkit.com - for Oatmeal, Hot Cereal and Whole Food lovers

http://www.rushingaround.com - My webpage

Comment

Originally posted by bspooky View Post
      And lests not forget Jobs seem to say new releases from their studios 30 days later, not just SOME new releases. If that holds to be true that is a serious advantage.

Content, specifcially newer content, is king for the masses of consumers.
      What new content is Vudu not getting? Jobs didn't specify ALL new content either. He said new content....

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
        Does Apple TV support purchasing of movies at all? It isn't important to me but I'm curious on whether they are taking a rental only approach and avoiding the whole question of expanded storage, etc.

Also, will Apple TV work as well not using P2P technology as far as instant play is concerned? If it will, then that would seem to say that P2P is more of a benefit for Vudu not having to have massive servers, etc., than it is for the Vudu user. Personally, I don't care how the movie gets there, as long as it's "instantly".

I'm still rooting for Vudu and I agree with NA9D that this competition excites me. It makes it seem more inevitable that VOD as a mainstream service is on the way. Whoever does it best will get my business.
        I really agree - VOD is the future.

I do care about the P2P technology though. I probably shouldn't, but I'd still rather not have 200-300K of my upload speed used by vudu to share movies with others. The usage probably doesn't affect me at all, but if given the option to allow vudu to use my bandwidth or not, everything else being equal, I'd choose not. It's a very very minor issue and one I won't lose sleep over, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenRushing View Post
          Sorry man, but this is a silly argument. The real comparison is the $229 UNLIMITED Apple TV compared to the $399 unlimited Vudu. The real difference is that you have ample control over the content of the Apple TV where as you have to call Vudu to have them manually delete their box so you can load more content. That is a major difference in convenience, considering convenience is what Vudu is supposed to get right.
          Do you have a 40 Gig AppleTV? I do. And it's a headache to have to move content around. You can't store a whole library of movies on it like you can the Vudu. Storage space is absolutely a critical item here.

Also, nothing has been said about how quickly the movie will be available on AppleTV. Right now on iTunes, you have to download the whole movie first. Will AppleTV be truly on demand? Correction - I just went back to look at it again - 30 seconds before you can watch.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenRushing View Post
            I'd be happy if vudu would've offered a $229 model with an 80 gig drive (and everything else you listed above).

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
              Does Apple TV support purchasing of movies at all? It isn't important to me but I'm curious on whether they are taking a rental only approach and avoiding the whole question of expanded storage, etc.
              It does right now. But with 40 Gigs of storage, you have to store it on your computer. Then you have to sync the computer with the AppleTV to get the movies, or you have to go and choose to stream from your iTunes Library. Changing to streaming from iTunes takes a while with a large library of songs and all because the AppleTV has to load and process all the XML data in order to get the menus set up. Seriously, it takes about 1 to 2 minutes sometimes to do this. And iTunes has to be running on the serving machine.

Being limited to storing content on the $229 AppleTV is a major headache. Trust me...Yes, the drive can be upgraded pretty easily, but then you are looking at a price not much different than Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                What new content is Vudu not getting? Jobs didn't specify ALL new content either. He said new content....
                It sure seems to me that new DVDs are release, yet no Vudu rental even within 30 days. Even movies on Vudu that I add to my wishlist that are for purchase only don't all seem to have gone rental. Yeah, sure, some say "rent on xyz date in the future" but not all of them are like that. Some sure seem to have been in my wishlist for longer than 30 days, still no rental option.

Are you saying all the new DVDs that come out for the Studios Vudu partners with have shown up on Vudu to rent 30 days later?????

Jobs didn't promise that specifically, but he led you to believe it. And given Apple's clout and experience getting studios, I can't imagine they wouldn't be meeting closer to 100% available to rent than Vudu.

I hope I am wrong, and in a couple months we will know.

Comment

Originally posted by bspooky View Post
                  It sure seems to me that new DVDs are release, yet no Vudu rental even within 30 days. Even movies on Vudu that I add to my wishlist that are for purchase only don't all seem to have gone rental. Yeah, sure, some say "rent on xyz date in the future" but not all of them are like that. Some sure seem to have been in my wishlist for longer than 30 days, still no rental option.

Are you saying all the new DVDs that come out for the Studios Vudu partners with have shown up on Vudu to rent 30 days later?????

Jobs didn't promise that specifically, but he led you to believe it. And given Apple's clout and experience getting studios, I can't imagine they wouldn't be meeting closer to 100% available to rent than Vudu.

I hope I am wrong, and in a couple months we will know.
                  Videos for which Vudu gets rental licenses show up somewhere around 30 days later for rental. Not all movies get rental licenses (particularly from companies like Sony). I anticipate the same thing will happen with AppleTV. Nothing was said that EVERY DVD that comes out will be on AppleTV. Yet this is what everyone is jumping to conclusions on. Some movies on Vudu are rentable the day they are released. Some are both rentable and purchasable on the day of release. We know that with Apple they won't be rentable until 30 days later...

The studios would have no reason to have different licensing contracts with different providers. It would make a complicated business model even more complicated.

Comment

These are the studios so far I've seen mentioned for apple:
                    Touchstone, Miramax, MGM, New Line, Lions Gate, Fox, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal, and Sony.

This is what I see for vudu:
                    Lionsgate, New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Universal Studios, Warner Bros. Studios, and Walt Disney Studios ? plus titles from 22 independent and international distributors, including First Look, Granada, Kino International, and Think Film.

And these are the differences between the two:
                    Apple: Touchstone, Miramax, MGM
                    Vudu: titles from 22 independent and international distributors, including First Look, Granada, Kino International, and Think Film.

Does vudu really not have Touchstone, Miramax and MGM?
                    If Apple has all of those, it seems to make sense they'd get 30 day new releases from all of them. Time will tell.

Comment

Some movies on Vudu are rentable the day they are released.
                      Really?

Can you name a few? If so, thumbs up to vudu.

Comment

The studios would have no reason to have different licensing contracts with different providers. It would make a complicated business model even more complicated.
                        I actually think that this could be different based on profit margins. Maybe Apple is able to afford lower margins and thus the studios are more inclined to offer content to them, or by the same token Apple is more comfortable with earning less on each movie.

Comment

Videos for which Vudu gets rental licenses show up somewhere around 30 days later for rental. Not all movies get rental licenses (particularly from companies like Sony). I anticipate the same thing will happen with AppleTV. Nothing was said that EVERY DVD that comes out will be on AppleTV. Yet this is what everyone is jumping to conclusions on. Some movies on Vudu are rentable the day they are released. Some are both rentable and purchasable on the day of release. We know that with Apple they won't be rentable until 30 days later...

I think you are right. My guess is that Apple TV will have similar restrictions and I wonder how people will react then. Will they say they were misled by the mighty Steve Jobs and they wished they hadn't burned their Netflix card? They already fail the "same day test" that some have stated would lead to the sure demise of Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
                            And I bet appleTV has an IR remote.
                            Yeah and it sucks. The receiver has a VERY narrow receiving window and the remote must be pointed RIGHT at it. Scrolling through large lists with up and down buttons is a headache. The scroll gets faster as you hold the button down but it ends up going so fast you can read it. With the Vudu remote you can control the speed easily. The Apple remote is very small and non-ergonomic. The ability to FF/RW is a headache and I always have problems with it. Vudu's scroll wheel is much more precise.

There are serious UI limitations with the AppleTV and the remote while watching movies...

And I don't go to starbucks.
                            No wonder you are so grumpy...

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
                              Does vudu really not have Touchstone, Miramax and MGM?
                              I think Touchstone is owned by Disney which could explain at least that one.

Comment

.....Not all movies get rental licenses (particularly from companies like Sony). I anticipate the same thing will happen with AppleTV. .......The studios would have no reason to have different licensing contracts with different providers. It would make a complicated business model even more complicated.
                                But that is exactly my point. Not all movies get rental licenses for Vudu. We don't know about Apple's deals, but where you anticipate they will be the same as Vudu I would hazzard a guess Apple will do a MUCH better job getting a higher percentage of movies as a rental license. The studios don't seem to care about or shy away from complicated business models, and volume is often important. If Apple promises them a certain volume and gets better deals / more movies because of it, the Studios won't care.

But as I said, in a few months we will see. If it is the same, your point is valid. If Apple gets a lot higher percentage of rentals, Vudu is dead to the bigger market and will be for a small niche market only.

I honestly hope we are both right.....that it will be both that Apple and Vudu get the same rental movies and that the percentage will approach 100%. Works for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X