Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Very interesting.....

Originally posted by Nded View Post
    Interesting footnote on http://www.apple.com/appletv/

The website also indicates that all SD titles are in stereo (see tech specs link below). Could somebody please point me to the Apple Corp. supported discussion forum where customers and non-customers get to whale on Apple over and over again about how this is the end of the world?

When you go a little deeper to http://www.apple.com/appletv/rentals.html you learn that they are very careful to exclude HD instant viewing.

It's not yet clear how many seconds are required for SD viewing to begin. You can bet NA9D will let us know as soon as his AppleTV gets the 2.0 update. All Vudu owners will be receiving the instant HD update later this month (4MB internet connection of course). It will be interesting to see what weight the independent critics put on truly instant gratification.

Now when you jump on over to the Technical Specs at http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html you learn that 720P is as good as it gets. No 1080i output, and don't even think about the truly superior "true to film" 1080p 24fps output. It also looks like SD content (rated at 640x480) is compressed to require 1.5M (or less) internet service. It will be interesting to hear what Jon sees when he watches the same SD title side-by-side on the two platforms.

The one thing I never noticed before was that the Apple TV does not have composite or s-video outputs. That leaves out a fairly significant install base, and don't tell me otherwise, or we wouldn't be seeing our wonderful federal government offering coupons on digital STB's to save the free world.

All things considered, I still think this is good news, as we get to see more pressure on the studios to support the new media.
    All due respect, but I don't think Jon is best qualified to give his review of the side by side comparisons. His loyalties are readily apparent.

The appletv really doesn't have composite or s-video outs? That is interesting. Does apple have a workaround or do they suggest this is only for TVs with component or better inputs?

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
      All due respect, but I don't think Jon is best qualified to give his review of the side by side comparisons. His loyalties are readily apparent.
      Sure beats somebody with a hidden agenda like the folks in the media who are so in love with Apple that in their eyes Apple can do no wrong. Then again, if you cut Jon, he does bleed Apple blood (long time PC/Apple sparring has passed between us over the years), so he's at least got mixed feelings on the matter. Of course I would hope that anybody else who owns both will please be forthcoming with benchmarks and comparisons. I'll be especially interested in learning if they have found a few tricks to squeeze decent looking SD video using dractically reduced bandwidth.

The appletv really doesn't have composite or s-video outs? That is interesting. Does apple have a workaround or do they suggest this is only for TVs with component or better inputs?
      Did you look at the specifications link http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html I posted? They clearly state in footnote #7 that AppleTV "Requires HDMI with HDCP or component video." No ifs, ands, or buts on that, and the pictures are worth a 1000 words. I remember hearing people gripe about no support for their 4:3 TV's when the thing first came out, but I never looked at the details till today.

Comment

Re: Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

I think apple is crazy for not putting composite/s-video. I just looked at the specs.

That alone is enough to keep me from buying one (today). My family room TV is a 60" rear projector with composite & s-video only. I've got a projector, but I'd want to be able to use any device in both rooms.
        No immediate plans to replace my TV so until I do, Vudu wins for me.

:down: to apple for this mistake.

Comment

With apple, you still buy the product. Same end-user experience, except apple gets your money and vudu doesn't.
          Apple doesn't advertise streaming as heavily as vudu but that doesn't mean it won't be supported for high speed customers.
          Wouldn't it be better to KNOW? People have complained about being misled because they weren't specifically told something didn't work like they expected it to. Sounds like a marketing fiasco for Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
            Wouldn't it be better to KNOW? People have complained about being misled because they weren't specifically told something didn't work like they expected it to. Sounds like a marketing fiasco for Apple.
            Touche.

But not really. Apple says if you have broadband, SD will be available in about 30 seconds and HD will be available later.

It seems like worst case - SD will be available instantly and HD may be available instantly as well. Here apple promises something very low and delivers a MUCH better experience than advertised to some users. Everyone gets what's advertised. Some may get better based on their internet speeds.

WinWinWin

Comment

WinWinWin
              No way, I expect instant viewing with HD and Vudu has told me how to get it. I would assume that Apple will give it to me and if it didn't, I would junk the box in favor of Vudu. It would not be a win at all if they can't give me clear direction about the network requirements for HD instant viewing.

You can't use the argument that, because they didn't specifically promise it here, then not giving it is good and if Vudu doesn't specifically promise something and doesn't give it, they have misleading marketing.

Comment

Who are you to judge my loyalties. I have every interest in seeing Apple succeed. I own 640 shares of Apple stock. My cost for those shares was about $5.00. You do the math to see how much I have made on it and how much I want AppleTV to be a killer product.

I own about 4 or 5 Macs. I have about 6 iPods.

DO NOT QUESTION MY JUDGEMENT!

I'm loyal to Vudu as well and love the product. Given that I have fierce loyalties to the products from both companies, I'm a far better choice than some dodo head wanna be reporter from a hack place like Engadget or Gizmodo or some wanna be blogger who works at JC Penny.

If Vudu sucks at something I have no problem saying it and I think my record is clear on that.

I will give a side by side and unbiased report for sure.

Also, 30 seconds is "instant"??? WOW! What planet do you live on...

Comment

A sample of posts:

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by bqmeister
                  So will vudu lower new release HD prices by a buck?

$5.99 for an HD rental is gonna hurt vudu.
                  --------------------------------------------------

Oh gimme a break. Buy one less coffee at Starbuck's for Pete's sake!

- The Original Vudu-Boy!

I still would have to take your review with a grain of salt.

Comment

If we're talking content, doesn't apple have more than 5000 titles in the entire store?
                    Actually, I counted it one day when I was bored, and they have 719 movies or so, as of a week or so ago.

There are a significant amount of TV Shows available. Apple won't lose the content war.
                    That is definately something VUDU needs to work on if they want to compete in the TV realm.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      It does right now. But with 40 Gigs of storage, you have to store it on your computer. Then you have to sync the computer with the AppleTV to get the movies, or you have to go and choose to stream from your iTunes Library. Changing to streaming from iTunes takes a while with a large library of songs and all because the AppleTV has to load and process all the XML data in order to get the menus set up. Seriously, it takes about 1 to 2 minutes sometimes to do this. And iTunes has to be running on the serving machine.
                      Previously, video content for Apple TV needed to be ordered on a computer (Windows/Mac) and then streamed from that PC's hard drive to the Apple TV. The updated Apple TV will allow direct access to the iTunes Store, so you can buy or rent movies and TV shows directly--no PC intermediary required. (Music can also be purchased, as well.)

Comment

Originally posted by rstone View Post
                        Actually, I counted it one day when I was bored, and they have 719 movies or so, as of a week or so ago.
                        I said titles though. I wasn't clear. I meant tv shows as well.

Comment

Maybe this will push VUDU to have a sale. I really want to get one, but not at $400. I lost out on one on Ebay today. Although I see a few more popped up within the last couple of days.
                          Hopefully I'll be able to get a VUDU before the end of the month.

Comment

And I don't want to pay $170 more for a hard drive I don't need, when I have the storage on my server.
                            Vudu should offer a $150 vudu with an 80gig drive. The cost should be lower than apple to offset the lack of functionality as compared to appletv.
                            I don't know if I would call that Video On Demand. Especially, if you have to copy them manually off your server, and then onto your device, to make them available for the Apple TV. It sounds more like, Video once you go to your PC and sync it with your Apple TV demand.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                              I've merged the two duplicate threads.

This is good news for the VOD industry. Vudu still has many more movies available but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
                              I agree, competition always results in better products for the consumer in the end. As I see it, the things that Apple does better, be it content or features, will only be a good thing for us in the end as it will force VUDU to add content or features its missing, sooner than otherwise, in order to compete with Apple.

Comment

I must admit I am disappointed in my Vudu box. I remember adding a comment to one of these forums last year on how I thought how the menu navigation and view of Apple's Front Row system for viewing trailers was so much easier and more visually appealing than Vudu's tiny font, lack of trailers and bothersome backclicking to view genre menus. I suggested Vudu copy Frontrow's menu system, or at least mimic it as much as possible. Big bright covers, good descriptions, trailers for every single film and easy easy practical navigation. Now with Apple TV2 using it I don't think I will be using my Vudu much more. I constantly battle with the fact that many of the films I want to watch with Vudu are "purchase only". Who wants to pay 19$ for a movie these days, especially since you can't trade it or loan it to a friend like you can buying a DVD? I sure don't . Apple has seen the light and from the start offers what most want. Renting movies, easily and attractively. Not a hunting experience with lots of back clicking and menu shuffling only to find out the one you want is not rentable. Vudu is a great idea but sadly its thunder has been stolen. I only wish viewing and accessing movies on Vudu was as sexy as the box that surrounds them.

Comment

Working...
                                X