Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
    Yes - it will be 2 weeks before the ATV update comes out.
    Maybe we can change the name of this thread to "100 hd titles someday"

Comment

How many does VUDU currently have available? I really hope I can get my VUDU box before the end of the month. I'm becoming a little impatient since I have a self imposed price restriction. But a new year and new priorities so I'm trying to stick to my self imposed price restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
        How many does VUDU currently have available? I really hope I can get my VUDU box before the end of the month. I'm becoming a little impatient since I have a self imposed price restriction. But a new year and new priorities so I'm trying to stick to my self imposed price restriction.
        Currently the VUDU has the Bourne series in HD (3). During CES they announced 70 HD features in January along with a new software release.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
          Currently the VUDU has the Bourne series in HD (3). During CES they announced 70 HD features in January along with a new software release.
          As soon as the new build is released (and I know engineering is trying hard to get it out as quickly as possible), you'll have most of those 70 HD films available right away.

I've got a feeling that the studios are going to release similar if not identical movie catalogs to Vudu and iTunes.

Comment

This ain't going to change with Apple either....There will still likely be non-rentable content.
            How you can say this won't change, then say likely won't change?

Comment

Originally posted by bspooky View Post
              How you can say this won't change, then say likely won't change?
              Probably because I hadn't investigated it yet when I wrote that and I was speculating (dang - must people parse everything someone says!).

After investigating it with iTunes, I can unequivocally state that there is content on iTunes that is purchase only and there is content on iTunes that is rental only.

Some of the biggest complaints about Vudu:

- Not all movies are rentable
              - Movies aren't rentable same day they are released
              - Movies aren't all in DD5.1

Same thing with AppleTV. In fact, on AppleTV there are ZERO standard definition movies available in DD5.1. And FWIU, the audio bit rate on 5.1 content on AppleTV HD content is drastically lower than the bit rate on Vudu's 5.1 content.

Where are the cat calls and "this is a failed product" type pronouncements about AppleTV?

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                Like I said, blind hope. Your points aren't evidence of anything as far as the licensing deals go. It really depends more on why the studios are being so restrictive than on Jobs' charisma, business acumen, or anything else he might do. The evidence we have today says that the almighty is hitting the same blocks.
                Your "evidence", that apple has the same 30 day / 24 hour rental type agreement that Vudu does so is therefore are hitting the same blocks is much like saying you just saw a blue car, then a second blue car, therefore all cars are blue.

Just because in one category, the 30 day / 24 hour rental, Apple and Vudu are alike does not by any means indicate that the rest of the categories (how many movies, how soon, price, etc.) will matchup.....so that is very little evidence.

Blind hope implys to me that one has hopes something will be true without ANY basis (blindly) for that hope. I listed several things (busines acumen, ties to the MOVIE industry, past track record of gathering support for a digital media distribution center when others had failed, etc.). This is far from blind hope.

And I would call it hope. I stated my thoughts that my gut feeling is Apple will do a better job than Vudu in getting new releases.

If you want hope, I think I stated before that I hope Apple does do that AND that Vudu will also be able to as well (increase the number of new release rentals). I do NOT want to buy and Apple TV, I just want moremovies on my Vudu.

Comment

This made me laugh. You have no concept of who the people in management at Vudu are and the experience with Hollywood they bring. Several of the Sr. management came from places like Tivo.

And Apple is not so perfect with marketing either. Every hear of the G4 Cube? Or how about the fact that the AppleTV has been a flop for the past year? Or did you ever hear of NBC? Hmm...Try to find NBC shows on iTunes. Apple screwed that one up. And now recording studios are putting out DRM free content. But except for one studio, it isn't on iTunes...

So Apple's track record is far from perfect.
                  This is funny. Why is it that I indicate Apple has a good shot at doing better than Vudu and metiong things such as Jobs USUALLY doesn't make marketing blunders like forgetting to mention huge holes in movie rentals being available and you jump to picking an ancient Apple failure and saying they are far from perfect? I didn't say they are perfect, I said USUALLY.

As far as people at vudu I do believe I started that point off with I DON'T KNOW. But now that you have informaed me they have Tivo experience, well, I am sure that TV experience will go wonderfully with the movie business. Apply doesn't have much in the way of TV (oh wait, iTunes). And they don't know anything about other media. Oh wait, music deals. And they have no MOVIE experience. Er, wait, what is Jobs relationship with Disney again?

Instead of putting words in my mouth or picking on every little bit I say just realize all I am saying is Apple has a good chance of doing a better job than Vudu. Do they have a chance at sucking even worse? Yup. Do they have a chance at doing about the same (as I think you would say)? Yup. I just think, based on what I have said before, they have a better chance.

Thats all. I am not attacking Vudu, so stop defending them at all costs (my interpretation). I have a Vudu. I want it to grow and be great. I don't want to buy an Apple TV. I actually don't even own anything Apple (gasp! not even an ipod!!!!).

Comment

Your "evidence", that apple has the same 30 day / 24 hour rental type agreement that Vudu does so is therefore are hitting the same blocks is much like saying you just saw a blue car, then a second blue car, therefore all cars are blue.
                    Your logic is flawed. What I mentioned is evidence. I never said it was "irrefutable proof". I simply said it was evidence. It is a fact that Apple will have the same restrictions as Vudu, at least for now. That fact, which can be examined, is clearly evidence. Apple's past performance is not. That is more like the qualification for mutual funds "past performance is no gaurantee of future performance". This is even more true given the real evidence of the current restrictions.

The blue car argument is just plain silly since there is plenty of evidence that not all cars a blue. It would be ridiculous to infer that all cars were blue based on something like that. However, it is a fact that studios have licensing restrictions. It is also a fact that Apple would have put out the best offering that they could have. Given they put out what they did. It is much more reasonable to infer that they are getting the same result as Vudu in dealing with the studio than it is to infer that all cars are blue because you saw 2 that were.

Comment

Probably because I hadn't investigated it yet when I wrote that and I was speculating (dang - must people parse everything someone says!).

After investigating it with iTunes, I can unequivocally state that there is content on iTunes that is purchase only and there is content on iTunes that is rental only.

Same thing with AppleTV. In fact, on AppleTV there are ZERO standard definition movies available in DD5.1. And FWIU, the audio bit rate on 5.1 content on AppleTV HD content is drastically lower than the bit rate on Vudu's 5.1 content.

Where are the cat calls and "this is a failed product" type pronouncements about AppleTV?
                      Yeah, I know what you meant about people parsing out everything you say (see my post refering to you doing this to me in the previosu post...my post you responded to was a tongue in cheek response back to you...my apologies for that lapse of imaturity).

I have never claimed Apple doesn't have for buy only. Don't they do some stuff where you have to buy the whole album to get a song? But both Vudu and Apple, to truly have a mass market appeal for VOD, need to have rentable movies, and near 100%, as soon as a video store would have them. Yes, that is my opinion, and I have no market research to back that statement up.

As far as Apple TV to be dead because of the lack of specs you mention, different wants go into products. Some people wouldnt' care about those specs (I am one of them, I still use a 25 inch tube TV). Some are going to like the portability of movies to IPODS (not me though).

I guess it seems like you take any critics of Vudu or proponets of AppleTV as an attack on Vudu...not sure I see it that way.

Comment

You sure have hit all my hot buttons for what I want as a paying customer.

Can't compare quality of Vudu to ATV yet, because currently Apple has no content to offer (without iTunes)

Comment

Your logic is flawed. What I mentioned is evidence. I never said it was "irrefutable proof". I simply said it was evidence. It is a fact that Apple will have the same restrictions as Vudu, at least for now. That fact, which can be examined, is clearly evidence. Apple's past performance is not. That is more like the qualification for mutual funds "past performance is no gaurantee of future performance". This is even more true given the real evidence of the current restrictions.

The blue car argument is just plain silly since there is plenty of evidence that not all cars a blue. It would be ridiculous to infer that all cars were blue based on something like that. However, it is a fact that studios have licensing restrictions. It is also a fact that Apple would have put out the best offering that they could have. Given they put out what they did. It is much more reasonable to infer that they are getting the same result as Vudu in dealing with the studio than it is to infer that all cars are blue because you saw 2 that were.
                          Where is this evidence you refer to that Apple will have the same restrictions as Vudu when it comes to how many new release videos they will have access to? Was there an announcement that Apple said "yeah we are only going to get xy of xyz new movies, just like Vudu gets now"??? Short of that the only evidence you have, that I have seen you refer to, is the 30 day 24 hour rental.

And that is all you have seen, they both have that. So, if you had a Martian standing next to you who had never seen a car, and the first was blue, and the second was blue, and that Martian said therefore in fact all cars are blue, you would correct that Martian and say no, you just haven't seen a non-blue car yet.

And you have not seen that Apple with have the exact same new movies rentals and percentage of new movie rentals as Vudu. Neither have I that they won't, but I won't claim that as a FACT. You indicate you didn't say "irrefutable proof" yet in a sentence later claim it as fact. Last time I checked in the english language saying some is a fact is pretty much saying irrefutable.

Comment

Where is this evidence you refer to that Apple will have the same restrictions as Vudu when it comes to how many new release videos they will have access to?
                            The evidence is that there current licensing restrictions seem to match Vudu's pretty closely. That indicates to any reasonable person that Apple is not immune to them. It is certainly a better indication than the fact that they have been a successful company.

Look, it is possible that Apple may be able to muscle the door open. It's also possible that Vudu might benefit from that as well. It's just that there isn't any evidence yet that that will be the case. The current evidence is that they are both blocked by the same obstacle.

Comment

The evidence is that there current licensing restrictions seem to match Vudu's pretty closely. That indicates to any reasonable person that Apple is not immune to them. It is certainly a better indication than the fact that they have been a successful company.

Look, it is possible that Apple may be able to muscle the door open. It's also possible that Vudu might benefit from that as well. It's just that there isn't any evidence yet that that will be the case. The current evidence is that they are both blocked by the same obstacle.
                              Whew! We agree!!!! :-)

I agree they MAY end up both blocked by the same obstacle.

I just also so happen to think they have a shot at muscling that door open though ... not because of blind faith but because of past history, movie biz ties, business savy, etc. etc. and think those reasons are just as good as indication as one similar restriction.

I would say by the end of summer we should hopefull know.

And, being self serving here, I don't really care if Apple does it first or Vudu....I just want more movies on Vudu that I want to watch. :-)

Comment

Y
                                I guess it seems like you take any critics of Vudu or proponets of AppleTV as an attack on Vudu...not sure I see it that way.
                                Uh - I own an AppleTV.

I love how people make assumptions.

Look, I am simply stating the facts as they are today. I will state them again as you don't seem to be able to get them:

1.) Not all movies are rentable on Vudu or on AppleTV
                                2.) Movie rentals are delayed after the release on physical media on Vudu and AppleTV
                                3.) SD content on AppleTV is not in 5.1. Some Vudu SD content is in 5.1
                                4.) You will be able to purchase HD content on Vudu. You can't purchase HD content on AppleTV

What of these true facts will you dispute? Will this change in 6 months or a week? Maybe. We don't know.

All my statement says is that the critics of Vudu should apply the same attitude towards Apple. They have ripped Vudu for these issues to no end. Yet, the biggest name in digital media comes out with a product that has many of the same restrictions.

I love repeating myself...

Oh yeah:

I OWN an AppleTV.
                                Last edited by NA9D; 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X