Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Originally posted by bspooky View Post
    And, being self serving here, I don't really care if Apple does it first or Vudu....I just want more movies on Vudu that I want to watch. :-)
    Now that I fully agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
      Uh - I own an AppleTV.

Oh yeah:

I OWN an AppleTV.
      You may own an AppleTV, but you sure go out of your way to defend Vudu and put down Apple. Go back and read your first 5-10 posts in this very thread and then tell me again how partial you are.

I think its fair to say that EVERY POSTER ON THESE BOARDS wants Vudu to do well, and are hoping for good things soon.... because we all own Vudu Boxes!

Why do you and other folks have to take sides? Can't we just talk and compare competing products without having to defend one product of the other?

-----Now back on subject---------

Alot of points being brought up are the fact you can't buy HD content with AppleTV.

During the Apple Keynote, Steve went out of his way to say that he believes rentals are the way to go. And I have to agree.

How many of you actually watch a movie more than once?

A GREAT movie, what... 2-3-5 times?

You could rent a movie 4 times and still have less money invested in it that you would if you bought it for 20-30 dollars!

I have purchased over 1200 DVDs. All sitting down in my basement on Boltz racks.... collecting dust. I probably go down there once a month and grab a movie to watch. Now with Vudu... I don't go down at all.

I went from "I WANNA OWN THE MOVIE" to "DON'T BE STUPID! JUST RENT IT WHEN YOU WANNA WATCH IT AND SAVE YOUR MONEY!"

Anyway... I have seen the light. Buying physical media... and buying digital media...when it comes to movies at least... is silly. At least to me. I'm a rental guy from here on out!
      I could be suave, but how many crude guys do you know?

Comment

For the record, Jon is an Apple fanatic and has been complaining about the problems with AppleTV for a long time - the V 2.0 software announcement has not done anything to change his tune. He'd be thrilled to see his AppleTV grow up to be what he wants, it's just not there yet.

I on the other hand am one of the folks that would never ever ever buy an Apple product - don't care for the company. With that said, I think my "observations" on the AppleTV 2.0 announcements have been even handed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
          You may own an AppleTV, but you sure go out of your way to defend Vudu and put down Apple. Go back and read your first 5-10 posts in this very thread and then tell me again how partial you are.

I think its fair to say that EVERY POSTER ON THESE BOARDS wants Vudu to do well, and are hoping for good things soon.... because we all own Vudu Boxes!

Why do you and other folks have to take sides? Can't we just talk and compare competing products without having to defend one product of the other?
          To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

OK first off, not everyone who reads these forums and not everyone who posts here is necessarily interested in Vudu's success. Most are, some are not.

If you go back and read the first few posts of this thread you'll see statements such as:

All in all, I'm disappointed that Vudu hasn't been able to capitalize (at least it's not immediately apparent) on contractual agreements for movies where Apple seems to have flourished.
          and

VUDU: Automatic loss of any market share they ever had!!
          And there's more comments like that.

Additionally, if you go back and read a lot of the criticisms about the Vudu you'll see recurring themes:

- 24 hour rentals
          - not all content in Dolby Digital
          - too expensive
          - etc., etc.

Some of the naysayers have stated that these issues make the Vudu a worthless product. I am simply pointing out that AppleTV has many of the same limitations and that once you start looking at those limitations the differences between the two products aren't so much and in fact, Vudu has several positives going for it.

People claim the AppleTV now is such a better deal because of the price being $229 as opposed to $399 for Vudu. But is it? If you want storage space, it isn't.

I'll take issue with Ed here that I don't think AppleTV 2.0 is enough or whatever he said. I don't know what it will be like as it's not out. I hope that they've improved things with the Photo features and I like the idea of being able to buy/rent content right from the box. Will I ever use the AppleTV for those features? Probably. I hope I use it for more than I do now. I use it now for viewing HD podcasts and my once in a while You Tube fix. There's a ton Apple could do to improve the product that has nothing to do with movie rentals.

Is renting something always the way to go? I dunno. My kids watch some content many, many, many times. I'd rather buy for them. If some cool movie they like and will watch comes out in HD, I'd want to purchase the HD version as they'll enjoy it more and I won't have to rent it over and over and over. Everyone has different needs and wants in regards to what they buy and rent, etc. I think it is a huge disadvantage that Apple only offers HD rentals. And it's huge that you can only get HD from the AppleTV and not from iTunes itself.

If the AppleTV offered instant viewing like Vudu, if it offered 1080p content, if the SD content was in DD, and if I could take that content move it from computer to computer, put it on my iPod, etc (true content portability), then I think the AppleTV would be a killer product and Vudu might have a hard time (except for people like Ed and Ron who will never buy anything from Apple - even if their life depended on it). But right now, AppleTV does not have all these things and therefore it is somewhat crippled just as the Vudu is.

I'm sorry if you are put off by someone who is passionate about something. I've been using a Vudu now for almost a year - ever since my first prototype came in a little clear plexiglass box and when our first test movies consisted of about 100 titles no one would ever want to watch. I along with the other mods here helped shape and make this product into what it is today. So forgive me if I am passionate about something that I helped to create.

Comment

Fair enough. I too am a big mac guy, having used them since 1985... with my Mac 512k... which I still have and fire up once in a while for kicks.

I just didnt want to see a QB controversy here on our very own boards. For those who don't do sports message boards... they are the worst of all arguments!!!!

For the record, RIGHT NOW.... I like Vudu better than AppleTV. I like the interface better, the remote MUCH better, the ability to rent or purchase (even though I'm a renter), and the fact that it does one thing, and one thing well... and thats movies. In my opinion, Apple has a way to go before the interface can match Vudu's. Its just an easier and better experience.

The ONLY things I see holding Vudu back are these:

1. Lack of Wi-Fi (just unacceptable to me)

2. The total confusion of rentals/purchases ability. Some you can buy... some you can rent... some are removed... blah blah blah. I realize this is not their fault per se, but SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!

If anything positive will come from the competing AppleTV, maybe they will break the current mold with the studios, and Vudu will reap the benefits. I can't see why they can't get the same benefits as Apple when it comes to negotiations.

I also realize this is all new frontier. See the writers strike. These studios dont have a clue how to handle the changing world of entertainment. All they know is that they want to make as much money as possible... at the risk of backwards progress. And that seems to be what we are seeing. In this day and age, we should be able to buy, rent any movie... anytime... even new theater releases at home. As long as they are making the money... what's the difference? Why can I go to a hotel, and watch the movies that are in the theater RIGHT NOW... but not do it at home? So many rules.... so many exceptions... so much b?llsh?t.

Comment

Fair enough. I too am a big mac guy, having used them since 1985... with my Mac 512k... which I still have and fire up once in a while for kicks.
              Ah... I still have a soft spot for my 128K (the 512K's little brother). I remember memory was so tight that it had to use the video buffer when copying a floppy: that resulted in the 512x342 bw screen getting filled with what looked like garbage from top to bottom in-between "Please insert disk: blah" messages... Those were the days when "Disk Image" had a true meaning!

-- Greg

Comment

I to had a 128k then I self upgraded to the 512 and then purchased the 512ke update to get double sided floppies, serial port for HD access. The got a Mac II and a Mac IIcx which made be become disenfranchised with the Mac since Apple couldn't deliver 32 bit on these systems as promised. Took a 3rd party extension just to get VM working.

I still like the Apple hardware but they sold out in the operating system space and used Free BSD as their OS instead of continuing to pursue a "True" Apple OS.

I remember watching the bits on the screen with a disk copy....that was pretty cool back then. Oh yea we only had two applications. Mac Paint and Mac Write. Don't eject the disk to write to another floppy...you would be swapping disks all day.

Comment

Ahhh... those WERE the good old days. I will never forget how AMAZING MacPaint was the first time I had seen it. It changed my whole life. I am a graphic artist now because of the Mac my grandfather bought me in 8th grade.

I had the ImageWriterII... the Apple 300 baud modem... Apple external disk drive....

Had some great software titles that I used to death.
                  Some favorites were: Dark Castle, VideoWorks, Skyfox... damn.... i seemed to have forgotten half the titles. But damn if they werent great.

Comment

I remember being a senior in high school and drooling over the Mac when it came out. I wanted one so badly. I ended up with a PCjr that survived a fire at the home of one of my dad's employees. I didn't really get hooked on Macs until a couple years later when we got a couple SEs in the U of IL antenna lab. I thought the programming tools that came with it were great and it was fairly easy to program graphics. I wrote a Smith Chart plotting program that we used in the lab. I was still somewhat of a PC/Dos fan though until I started at Motorola which was heavy into Macs back then (used the Moto CPUs). I gradually ended up getting hooked and totally missed the advent of Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. Between Michael Spindler and Gil Amelio, that company was almost run into the ground.

I'm disappointed Ron left OS X for what, Windows? Come on, Ron. Yeah, the transition was hard for all of us. But once a devoted Mac OS fan actually started to use OS X, you found out how powerful it was. And there's a large part of the OS that is open source. Can't say that about Windows...Today, OS X Leopard blows away the old OS 9 and prior experience.

Comment

Ahhh... those WERE the good old days. I will never forget how AMAZING MacPaint was the first time I had seen it. It changed my whole life. I am a graphic artist now because of the Mac my grandfather bought me in 8th grade.
                      Well while you guys were playing with your Mac-128's, my first computer was the VIC 20, using cartridges to play games, and tape drives to store data as it had no hard drive. And using my superfast 300 baud modem to connect to compuserve.

Thank god this crap doesnt exist anymore.

Comment

Well, I had to push punched cards across campus in the snow (uphill, both ways!), and we were thankful.

Can we get back On Topic guys?

Comment

Actually, my first computer was a Rockwell International AIM 64 single board computer. It didn't have a case. It had a 1 line LED display and a built in 20 character thermal printer. I had to configure my own tape storage system and attempted to build a video card for it.

I thought about learning 6502 assembly language for it but never did...

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                            Can we get back On Topic guys?
                            Nah, Vudu is meeting our expectations so we have to do something with this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by rstone View Post
                              Well while you guys were playing with your Mac-128's, my first computer was the VIC 20, using cartridges to play games, and tape drives to store data as it had no hard drive. And using my superfast 300 baud modem to connect to compuserve.

Thank god this crap doesnt exist anymore.
                              The Commodore Vic20!!!!!!!

My first computer as well! I used to spend Saturday mornings copying code out of these books I'd get somewhere... that let you program your own games. They took forever... and sucked... but the feeling of accomplishment!

And the games rocked too! Gorf, Cosmic Cruncher, Omega Race.....

Comment

The Vic20 was my first computer too. I remember writing my own version of the "Breakout" game. I thought it was pretty cool. It even supported multi-player, sporadic random angles and more. All that in 3K of memory.

Comment

Working...
                                X