Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

The magic of VUDU is stronger than then Apple Flavored KoolAid

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
      I think the proper term coined by the community was "Door Stop".
      I tried it today, and it really does work as a door stop!!

Guess it was a hidden feature. Easter Egg maybe?

Anyways, thanks, I now have 2 uses for ATV!

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
        Beware of Jon (NA9D) if he tells you to drink some koolaid.....
        Huh? I think my posts about the glaring weaknesses and deficiencies of the ATV make me anything but a koolaid drinker or server.

I've been accused of being biased towards Vudu. So I suppose I could be called a Vudu koolaid assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
          I tried it today, and it really does work as a door stop!!

Guess it was a hidden feature. Easter Egg maybe?

Anyways, thanks, I now have 2 uses for ATV!
          Well as Alton Brown always says on Good Eats. Don't buy a uni-tasker.

Comment

Well as Alton Brown always says on Good Eats. Don't buy a uni-tasker.
            You mean like my stainless steel apple corer I bought 10 years ago?

Because that makes a good paper weight too. But wait a minute, tht's a good thought, never tried it as a door stop!

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              I've had it for about a year now or almost a year. It's a good paperweight for sure. I am very disappointed with the photo display capability which is why I bought it. It does neat slideshows, but that's about it. You can't rotate or zoom on photos and you can't simply browse your photo library. They have to be viewed in slideshows. I'm hoping that will change...
              Geez, don't you have some obsolete, out-of-production DVR that can do photos? I know my ReplayTVs use our pix from Hawaii as their screensaver now.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                Geez, don't you have some obsolete, out-of-production DVR that can do photos? I know my ReplayTVs use our pix from Hawaii as their screensaver now.
                Let's see - I have 3 of those plus two more in storage. I also have two out of production, obsolete Roku Photobridges that in some ways do a better job with photo display than the AppleTV (the AppleTV does a better job a slideshows and cool transitions but it does a worse job in just photo display).

Comment

Isn't there 3rd party software for the Photobridges? I remember reading something like that on either the Wired blogs or Engadget.

Comment

Isn't there 3rd party software for the Photobridges? I remember reading something like that on either the Wired blogs or Engadget.
                    Oh yeah, it runs a variant of Linux and has had a number of third party software. If it wasn't for the third party software it would be about as useless as the AppleTV! There's a media player called MPlay which can play your DVD ISO or VideoTS files, there's a Squeezebox emulator called SlimRoku, there's flickr photo viewers, VNC clients, etc. If Roku would only release the core firmware to the public, even more cool stuff could be done as there are some bugs still in the firmware and it wasn't fully developed to its full capabilities...

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                      How does Apple Tv achieve what the VUDU box does?
                      This listing of I guess VUDUs main patent is quite long but talks about the prcoess for the video downloading.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...ranz&RS=miranz
                      The PDF version of the patent available on this Google patents page has some really pretty diagrams explaining how the whole system works.
                      John - 0x36d3
                      "If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman
                      Pleas support me in Tour de Cure: [url]http://main.diabetes.org/goto/John.Reddersen[/url]

Comment

I noticed the patent was issued to Marquee, Inc. and with a bit of searching I came up with this:

From BuisnessWeek Investing
                        VUDU, Inc. was formerly known as Marquee, Inc. Prior to that Marquee, Inc. was known as Vvond.
                        John - 0x36d3
                        Pleas support me in Tour de Cure: [url]http://main.diabetes.org/goto/John.Reddersen[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterfood View Post
                          I noticed the patent was issued to Marquee, Inc. and with a bit of searching I came up with this:

From BuisnessWeek Investing
                          Yup. Smart guy you are.

Comment

Thanks

I think that's the most times I've ever seen a company change names before actually releasing a product. In this case though, I think they were all worthwhile improvements.

Vudu has a nice ring to it and it has the currently hip quality of sounding good when verbified as in "I just Vudued a great new movie last night!" just like Google, Tivo, etc.

I don't think Vvond or Marquee when verbified to Vvonded or Marqueeed (3 e's or 2?) would have worked nearly as well.
                            John - 0x36d3

Comment

Try being an Alpha/Beta tester with all those name/URL changes!

I kinda liked Marquee but it was too boring I guess. I was mixed to negative on the name Vudu when it was first picked, but I've come around. It certainly works when verbified!

Comment

A funny thought just occured to me.

1) Apple TV hasn't been able to deliver on their HD promise.

2) Apple TV SD content is all at 480 resolution ( http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html )

3) On the same spec page ATV announces HD content in 720 resolution - possibly on component connection (this has not been delivered/verified)

4) Vudu does not have anything above 480 resolution on the component output due to content owners requiring HDMI connection for higher resolution.

Hypothesis - Could it be that the reason ATV hasn't been able to deliver 2.0 software and HD content is because the studios are saying NO to their component connection?

I can't see why they'd let Apple get by with it, and not allow Vudu to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X