Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Originally posted by Nded View Post
    A funny thought just occured to me.

1) Apple TV hasn't been able to deliver on their HD promise.

2) Apple TV SD content is all at 480 resolution ( http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html )

3) On the same spec page ATV announces HD content in 720 resolution - possibly on component connection (this has not been delivered/verified)

4) Vudu does not have anything above 480 resolution on the component output due to content owners requiring HDMI connection for higher resolution.

Hypothesis - Could it be that the reason ATV hasn't been able to deliver 2.0 software and HD content is because the studios are saying NO to their component connection?

I can't see why they'd let Apple get by with it, and not allow Vudu to do it.
    We'll I think that is very interesting.

Just for fun, I spent a few days trying to find a way to record video from either my component out or hdmi out on my Directv receiver.

Mostly I could only find recording devices for composite and s-video outs. Could only find an expensive couple of devices that support component and nata for hdmi.

The component ones had lots of disclaimers for recording commercial content and often quoted the MPAA.

I found the component stuff guised as Mpeq studio encoders (not recorders).

I find your statement interesting in the comment about about what the component quality is. I always thought of component the same quality as hdmi except the loss obtained via analog transfer. But now I'm curious about the reality of that assumption.

This is beginning to smell like a conspiracy to me. I always thought it was legal to record for you're personal use. But it sounds like we are getting to the point where we'll be eventually be prohibited from doing that. Rat Bastards!!

Comment

I don't like it, but we may have no choice, as HDMI is all about protecting content and preventing the end user from having control.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
        Rat Bastards!!
        Sorry, no disrespect to the brain!

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
          I always thought it was legal to record for you're personal use. But it sounds like we are getting to the point where we'll be eventually be prohibited from doing that. Rat Bastards!!
          If you are the studios, there is no legal reason for anyone to record anything. That is their position. They are completely against the fair use doctrine and have been since time immemorial.

Keep in mind that these are the same people who said the VCR would kill the movie industry. It was so much in dispute that the matter went to the Supreme Court and VCRs stayed legal by ONE, yes ONE vote! Think about the ramifications for today's world if a single Justice would have voted the other way! The movie industry would be dead. There'd be no Blockbuster, no rental industry, no Netflix and no Vudu. This is the mentality we are dealing with here. Their whole mindset is about content protection and not about content distribution. It takes them years and years to realize that this new technology can actually help their business and make more revenue for them. In some cases such as the DAT this was realized too late for the technology.

Until the lawyers and suits in Hollywood change their business model to something consumer friendly, we are all screwed. So the choice then is who can provide the best content in the way that is the least intrusive on my rights to my content.

Comment

Does Xbox Live allow the movie HD content over component at HD resolutions? If they don't then I would think that Apple will not be able to either.
            I got rid of all my component connections in 2005. Everything I use now is HDMI or DVI. It certainly makes things much easier but I'm still using over 30 HDMI cables plus several DVI to HDMI cables.

Comment

I have my 360 hooked up over component (original version sans HDMI) and I can view HD trailers. I never bothered renting anything in HD, but I am pretty sure people would've raised hell if Microsoft forced HDMI requirement as Xbox 360 just got HDMI port recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                I have my 360 hooked up over component (original version sans HDMI) and I can view HD trailers. I never bothered renting anything in HD, but I am pretty sure people would've raised hell if Microsoft forced HDMI requirement as Xbox 360 just got HDMI port recently.
                Hd trailers are not HD rentals. I know for HD DVD playback you need VGA output or HDMI output for 1080P resolution of HD DVD titles. I would have to check for other content over component.

I'll need to try and find my 360 component cables since my four 360s only use VGA or HDMI for output.

Comment

Hmm. I just tried the component dongle on my 360 that I rented Transformers HD last night. It does allow 1080i output over component for playback. I can't test 1080P output since that set only accepts 1080P over HDMI and the TV I have that accepts 1080P over component is in another room.

But that does show that the Xbox 360 allows 1080i output over component for the Transformers HD rental. If the Xbox 360 is allowed to do it I would think other providers should be allowed to do it. But you never know. I guess it's whatever is in the agreement they signed with the studios.

Comment

Working...
                  X