Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NA9D
    replied
    Re: Apple TV take 2: 100 hd titles today

I've argued for a $199 price point since before the Vudu launched (too bad you can't see that, bqmesiter, on the beta forums) and I've argued for portability of content.

Maybe Apple's doing this will shake loose the same capability with Vudu.

And who knows what Vudu 2.0 will bring...

Leave a comment:

• bqmeister
    replied

granted, apple screwed up with NBC.
    But Isn't the entire itunes store available with the appletv?

If we're talking content, doesn't apple have more than 5000 titles in the entire store?

There are a significant amount of TV Shows available.
    Apple won't lose the content war.

And I don't want to pay $170 more for a hard drive I don't need, when I have the storage on my server.
    Vudu should offer a $150 vudu with an 80gig drive. The cost should be lower than apple to offset the lack of functionality as compared to appletv.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Gadois
    replied

My $.02

Competition in this space is great. I want Vudu to win but at this point I would think that Apple may have the upper hand.

* I think Apple has more clout then Vudu does to get new content. Vudu is the winner right now but Apple is just starting their product.

* The cost - I think the Apple comes with a wireless connection built-in. This is nice and I was surprised Vudu didn't have.

* I LOVE the idea of viewing my photos and playing music and watching YouTube on my TV.

It is too early to say who the winner is but Vudu is going to have a hard time against such a huge gorilla as Apple.

Guy

Leave a comment:

• jonathon
    replied

As the iTunes/Apple TV setup allows portability of content (e.g. can be played on iPhone, ipod and computer) I think that's a great advantage over Vudu. Also, the Apple TV plays video podcasts, photo streams and YouTube. The future use of the Vudu box hangs in the balance now.

Leave a comment:

• redwein
    replied

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
    But Apple is priced significantly lower and the HD rentals are lower. AppleTV also has significantly more bang for the buck (more features built in besides just watching movies).
    Pricing is a variable thing and competition has a tendency to cause companies to lower prices when it heats up. I'll defer to Vudu to price things according to how their business is running and what the competition is doing. There is too much we don't know to tell them what pricing model to use.

Leave a comment:

• NA9D
    replied

Originally posted by bspooky View Post
    I guess I am a glass is half full not half empty guy. Oh, and my "guess" is not founded on blind hope but:

- Jobs doesn't usually make marketing mistakes as big as neglecting to mention there will be gaping holes in what movies can be rented.

- Apple has a track record of getting studios on board with pricing/availability where others have failed (see iTunes store and compare it with what Real, Creative, and all the rest attempted at and failed with before).

- I don't think Vudu has the contacs or the experience in the movie industry that Jobs has access to by his relationship with Walt Disney

- Apple has distribution channels that were never open to Vudu, and money, that can open more doors during negotiations.

I could go on, but I am hungry and I skipped lunch watching the keynote and responding here. Off to vendoland it is!!!
    This made me laugh. You have no concept of who the people in management at Vudu are and the experience with Hollywood they bring. Several of the Sr. management came from places like Tivo.

And Apple is not so perfect with marketing either. Every hear of the G4 Cube? Or how about the fact that the AppleTV has been a flop for the past year? Or did you ever hear of NBC? Hmm...Try to find NBC shows on iTunes. Apple screwed that one up. And now recording studios are putting out DRM free content. But except for one studio, it isn't on iTunes...

So Apple's track record is far from perfect.

Leave a comment:

• NA9D
    replied

You can't compare the prices when the storage space is not the same! If you want to purchase movies, you'll store precious few on the $229 AppleTV!

Your other comments are valid, but at least compare the $329 model at its closer to what the Vudu offers for storage. People don't just rent.

Leave a comment:

• bqmeister
    replied

Originally posted by redwein View Post
    Of course IF Apples solves all of the problems and has a perfect solution, it would, by definition, be perfect and win. My point was that with the evidence available, it looks like Apple is running into exactly the same licensing issues as Vudu, which makes me believe that your "guess" that they will do MUCH better isn't founded in anything other than blind hope. By the way, I hope someone does eventually break through and give us everything we want.

Here's the thing though.
    Apple and vudu have very similar restrictions.
    Apple and vudu have very similar deals with content providers. Apple may start with a library of 1000 movies but if they're mostly newer releases, Apple will be real close to vudu with a 'good' library. 5000 or 10000 or 1 millions movies doesn't matter if you don't have what consumers want.

Give a slight nod to vudu on content if you want, even though apple will have more HD.

But Apple is priced significantly lower and the HD rentals are lower. AppleTV also has significantly more bang for the buck (more features built in besides just watching movies).

Content is king. But people won't buy it if it's overpriced (vudu is). Apple's price is significantly closer to where it needs to be.

Leave a comment:

• redwein
    replied

Like I said, blind hope. Your points aren't evidence of anything as far as the licensing deals go. It really depends more on why the studios are being so restrictive than on Jobs' charisma, business acumen, or anything else he might do. The evidence we have today says that the almighty is hitting the same blocks.

Leave a comment:

• bspooky
    replied

Originally posted by redwein View Post
    Of course IF Apples solves all of the problems and has a perfect solution, it would, by definition, be perfect and win. My point was that with the evidence available, it looks like Apple is running into exactly the same licensing issues as Vudu, which makes me believe that your "guess" that they will do MUCH better isn't founded in anything other than blind hope. By the way, I hope someone does eventually break through and give us everything we want.
    I guess I am a glass is half full not half empty guy. Oh, and my "guess" is not founded on blind hope but:

- Jobs doesn't usually make marketing mistakes as big as neglecting to mention there will be gaping holes in what movies can be rented.

- Apple has a track record of getting studios on board with pricing/availability where others have failed (see iTunes store and compare it with what Real, Creative, and all the rest attempted at and failed with before).

- I don't think Vudu has the contacs or the experience in the movie industry that Jobs has access to by his relationship with Walt Disney

- Apple has distribution channels that were never open to Vudu, and money, that can open more doors during negotiations.

I could go on, but I am hungry and I skipped lunch watching the keynote and responding here. Off to vendoland it is!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dysfnctnl85
    replied

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
    Agreed, but you still have to scroll through some sort of list. The Vudu remote does it MUCH better...
    Scroll wheel FTW. Even my *parents* can use it!

Leave a comment:

• NA9D
    replied

Originally posted by Dysfnctnl85 View Post
    Pictures on MacRumorsLive showed a distinctly different interface. I personally think that Vudu's interface is awesome, but Apple is highly regarded for their ability to create usable interfaces.
    Agreed, but you still have to scroll through some sort of list. The Vudu remote does it MUCH better...

Leave a comment:

• NA9D
    replied

Content is king.
    And right now Vudu wins.

If Apple were able to get over the 30 day rental delay they would have done so. Period. No need to speculate beyond that.

Leave a comment:

• Dysfnctnl85
    replied

NA9D, according to what I read the UI is completely differetn with the software update. Macworld commentators indicated it was "totally different" than the current AppleTV interface.

I don't know, as I haven't seen the current, and didn't pay attention to the new as I will wait to see if content is better before I consdier it.
    Pictures on MacRumorsLive showed a distinctly different interface. I personally think that Vudu's interface is awesome, but Apple is highly regarded for their ability to create usable interfaces.

Leave a comment:

• redwein
    replied

It is pointless to argue hypotheticals. I keep saying IF apple was able to. I don't know. You don't know. As to your 30 day, maybe it was a give and take "ok, we will go with waiting 30 days but you have to give us all movies" . . . I would take all rentals over just some sooner than 30 days in a heartbeat.

But again, my message is IF apple is able to get more content rental that the mainstream wants to watch, they will win. I think they will as they are Apple, but they may not. The have botched many things before....and are actually losing ground on music.

Content is king.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X