Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Bitrate of the Dolby Digital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julien
    replied
    Re: Bitrate of the Dolby Digital?

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
    Hi Julien,

Can you please tell me where in the movie you think that the audio is really bad? We do not use variable bitrates for the audio encoding. So the quality should be pretty constant... ...unless we have an encoder problem. I'll start downloading the movie and will check it out. But it would help if you can tell me what scenes are especially bad, since I might not have time to watch the whole movie.

Thanks,

Hagen.
    Hagen,
    The SQ was constant throughout the film thought it did seem to get progressively worse but I attribute that to ear fatigue. Just go to one of the latter tracks like #16 "Live With Me" (which offers a little more eye candy too).

Do you have a way of determining the DD+ bit rate? I would bet dollars to doughnuts (or maybe doughnuts to dollars) it was under 150Kbps.

I manly bought for my parents (bought 2 boxes) and SQ (or The Rolling Stones for that matter) want be a problem. I will likely only watch HDX films myself. As long as the SQ is higher on them (matching the promo trailer) I will be okay. I did download Get Smart and my watch tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Hagen
    replied

Hi Julien,

Can you please tell me where in the movie you think that the audio is really bad? We do not use variable bitrates for the audio encoding. So the quality should be pretty constant... ...unless we have an encoder problem. I'll start downloading the movie and will check it out. But it would help if you can tell me what scenes are especially bad, since I might not have time to watch the whole movie.

Thanks,

Hagen.

Leave a comment:

• aaronwt
    replied

HDX titles are encoded at 640kbs if I remember correctly.
    Which is the max bitrate for DD.

Leave a comment:

• NA9D
    replied

Julien,

I don't have the ears you do and so have never had the experience you have had! But I can say that the audio on HDX films is noticeably better than the audio on HD and SD films.

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied

We are using DD+ 128 kbit/s for stereo and 256 kbit/s for 5.1.

DD+ can go beyond 448 kbit/s. It supports bitrates of up to 6Mbit/s (one of the reasons why it's not supported via S/PDIF).

We are using Dolby encoding software (I don't think there are any other solutions out there anyway for DD+ encoding).

Most encodes are done in house but we also use external companies to do the encoding for us based on our specifications.

I hope that answers your questions,

Hagen.
    Hagen,
    Last night was my first night with VUDU and first time watching a VUDU film. I first watched the HDX promo trailer and the SQ was quite good (although it was all electronic). I then decided to watch an HD film not available in HDX. I chose Shine a Light since the lighting and fast action/edit cuts would be a tough test for the video encoder and of course the audio. The video passed with fling colors with almost no pixelation/micro blocking and minimal banding. The only real problem was resolution detail which is understandable given the <4Mbps data rate.

The REAL problem was the audio and for some reason I have always been very sensitive to perceptual coding artifacts. At some point (transmission stream?) the bit rate must have been compressed to less than 150Kbps. SQ was about on par to XM/Sirius and the perceptual coding artifacts were horrific. Pre echo and ringing were prevalent, collapsed sound stage with lots of high frequency roll off and a general "hurt your teeth" effect. I started the film a reference level but quickly lowered it by 3dB and the ear fatigue was almost unbearable.

Was there an audio encoding mistake with this film? Do all HD films have the same encoded data rate? Do HDX films have a higher audio encode rate?

Leave a comment:

• NA9D
    replied

You are completely correct. The Vudu employe variable bit rate (VBR) to get the most efficient compression possible. This is the same as what DVDs use.

Compression theory is quite interesting. Back in 1988 I did a stint in Japan for their international phone company (a 2 month engineering student exchange program). I was working on a system that was designed to send images over a packet switched network between 2 CRTs. My task was to play with the compression algorithm to try to get the most efficient and quickest file size. Little did I know that this same technology would be in use just a few years later to send images over the web. I'm sure that the algorithms are far more complex than what I was working with back then but the concepts are still the same...

Leave a comment:

• cachest
    replied

Thanks NA9D and Hagen! I appreciate you taking the time to satisfy my curiousity.

My answer to the question on video vs audio is the cliched "it depends".

If by "sending video content", you are talking about the amount of bandwidth and space required to handle the video portion of the movie, then the answer is yes, the video bandwidth and size will always dominate. Maybe I shouldn't say always... It would certainly be possible to encode a movie with an audio bitrate that exceeds the video bitrate, but you won't see anything like that from Hollywood.

If we talk about which is more difficult to encode (i.e. compress), then it gets a little less clear. The compression algorithms used today (for example, DD+ and H.264) are very advanced. The tools to do the compression are going to do things like make multiple passes across the data, and they will use mathematical algorithms and clever tricks along the way to get an end result. Scenes with lots of action, movement, bright-flashes of light, etc. are going to be more difficult for the video encoder to handle, whereas scenes without much going on are easier. The same holds true for audio. When there are lots of sharp, crisp transitions in the audio it is more difficult to compress than if there was no sound in the scene. Neither is black-magic, but both audio and video compression are technically impressive (at least to me).

I could post links with examples, but I think I've rambled on enough for one night. Let me know if you would like more info.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Nded
    replied

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
    I'm pretty ignorant on this topic, but my common sense tells me that sending video content is a 1000+ times more intense than audio (no matter what bitrate).

So, based on that premise, is it that big of deal to "technically" deliver the best audio available?

I've always been curious about that.
    Actually, it can get quite complicated, and require much more sophisticated gear. For example, the Vudu output is "only" 5.1 channels, which some audiophiles would consider to be sub-par compared to 7.1 or even greater degrees of zone segmentation. Some special recordings could even call for multiple sub-woofer channels. Of course delivering the complicated signal is just the tip of the iceburg, compared to the gear you would need to reproduce the sound to such demanding specifications.

For the vast majority of movie viewers this is not an issue - they can not hear the difference, nor would they consider paying for it to happen.

Leave a comment:

• HeadHodge
    replied

I'm pretty ignorant on this topic, but my common sense tells me that sending video content is a 1000+ times more intense than audio (no matter what bitrate).

So, based on that premise, is it that big of deal to "technically" deliver the best audio available?

I've always been curious about that.

Leave a comment:

• Hagen
    replied

We are using DD+ 128 kbit/s for stereo and 256 kbit/s for 5.1.

DD+ can go beyond 448 kbit/s. It supports bitrates of up to 6Mbit/s (one of the reasons why it's not supported via S/PDIF).

We are using Dolby encoding software (I don't think there are any other solutions out there anyway for DD+ encoding).

Most encodes are done in house but we also use external companies to do the encoding for us based on our specifications.

I hope that answers your questions,

Hagen.

Leave a comment:

• NA9D
    replied

Originally posted by cachest View Post
    If possible, I also wanted to sneak in a question about the encodes. Do you guys get masters from the studio and then encode them yourselves or are you at the mercy of what they provide (i.e. studios do the encodes)?

Thanks!
    My understanding is that Vudu gets a master from the studios and encodes it themselves. The Vudu file format is H.264 but the encoding is proprietary. Vudu is at the mercy of the quality of the studio master.

Leave a comment:

• cachest
    replied

Hope I don't get flogged too much for opening up an old post, but I wanted to see if Hagen might provide a little more info on this topic.

According to the Dolby white-paper on DD+, the DD+ input into the converter can be anywhere from 32-448kbps. It notes that the DD output is always padded out to 640kbps irrespective of the input data rate. The white-paper goes on to essentially recommend 96kbps and 192kbps for stereo and 5.1-surround respectively, which would lead me to believe that Vudu's DD+ at least meets those minimums.

...so 640kbps DD != 640kbps DD+. According to Dolby, it would appear that it is at most 448kbps DD+. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the DD+ from Vudu is less. I'm sure the aim is probably a happy median between 192 and 448 (best quality/size trade-off).

Hagen, can you confirm the above? Any chance you can share some actual audio data rates (say from a Vudu HD movie w/5.1)? - If possible, I also wanted to sneak in a question about the encodes. Do you guys get masters from the studio and then encode them yourselves or are you at the mercy of what they provide (i.e. studios do the encodes)?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• aaronwt
    replied

Dolby defines the transcoding from DD+ to DD. The transcoding is always done to the highest bitrate supported by DD (i.e. 640kbit/s).

We are using DD+ because it gives us better audio quality at lower bitrates than DD. And all our content is encoded with DD+.

Hagen.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Nded
    replied

Observation: AppleTV Footnote 3 on http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html says they are only providing "128-Kbps audio"

That's must be some good Koolaid....

Leave a comment:

• Hagen
    replied

Dolby defines the transcoding from DD+ to DD. The transcoding is always done to the highest bitrate supported by DD (i.e. 640kbit/s).

We are using DD+ because it gives us better audio quality at lower bitrates than DD. And all our content is encoded with DD+.

Hagen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X