Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Matching external HD enclosure for $28.49 AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Matching external HD enclosure for $28.49 AR

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
    They need to change the FBI warning at the beginning of every movie then.

EDIT: I see you say without circumventing the Copy protection. How can you make a copy without circumventing the copy protection? I'm talking Digital copies not analog and also not using a $30K system to watch the DVDs from a server.
    Why would they need to change the warning? That warning does not supersede the "Fair Use" or copyright laws or legislative laws. If that warning was to be taken as the letter of the law, than ANY COPYING for ANY REASON is illegal, which is blatantly just false. There are many exceptions to circumventing, such as educational institutions, libraries, etc.

Cloning is not copying. Look at it this way, if you have a locked box that requires a key to open it and you have a machine that creates a 2nd locked box that is still unopened and requires the same key, you are not defeating and/or circumventing the boxes lock or breaking into it, you are merely creating a clone. Cloning data is exactly the same thing. You are not circumventing a locked key, because the key remains locked. In other words it is still encrypted and locked. No circumvention has taken place, and therefore is legal.

You must remember that a copy is not a clone. When most people refer to copying CD's or DVD's, they are in fact referring to circumventing the DRM, CSS or AACS encryption so that the material can me copied to another digital medium, such as your HDD. And in doing so they are circumventing the copy protection, and therefore would be illegal as been covered already.

Comment

Originally posted by rstone View Post
      Under the Copyright Act, legitimate owners of DVDs possess the right to make backup copies and other fair uses of their DVDs, under the law. In fact the the courts have reasoned, that although not all content on DVDs may be available in unprotected forms, it is possible to copy the content in other ways.
      Yes, that is correct. However, it is illegal for any software manufacturer to produce a product that offers such a back-up service! So with DMCA, the studios basically have you by the cajones. And it could still be argued that you are a felon by ripping the contents of the DVD because you have done things to circumvent the encryption. Either way, they have you.

What really needs to happen is for the Supreme Court to strike down all or part of DMCA. It's one of the great legacies of the Clinton administration, but I gotta fault both parties here. In reality it's what happens when a bunch of 60 or 70 year old men get in a room and attempt to make laws about technology they don't understand. YOU show me a 70 year old man who understands what DVD encryption or a Gigabyte even means!

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
        Of course if Vudu failed, then a failure of the hard drive or the box could wipe everything out too. It's a little safer, but it wouldn't provide indefinitely guaranteed storage.
        Actually, Vudu has stated that if the company goes under, any purchased content will continue to be viewable by the box owner. Yes, I suppose one final software update or bit change could change that, but this is the position right now.

The box does not need to talk to the "mother ship" to view content.

Comment

Well I just closed on an Ebay auction tonight for a new VUDU.
          Hopefully I'll get it in time to get the $50 in VUDU bucks for activation.
          I hope you paid less than $299...

http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=2418

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
            Yes, that is correct. However, it is illegal for any software manufacturer to produce a product that offers such a back-up service! So with DMCA, the studios basically have you by the cajones. And it could still be argued that you are a felon by ripping the contents of the DVD because you have done things to circumvent the encryption. Either way, they have you.!
            Your assuming that the manufacture is defeating the product, which isnt true, because the manufacture is NOT creating a way for a program to circumvent the encryption of the product, which would be illegal for them to do. And is has been the basis for lawsuits from the movie and music industries. Cloning does NOT circumvent the encryption, nor does it decrypt ANY of the contents, but yet keeps the contents in its original encrypted form, so therefore is not applicable to the laws under the DMCA.

What really needs to happen is for the Supreme Court to strike down all or part of DMCA. It's one of the great legacies of the Clinton administration, but I gotta fault both parties here. In reality it's what happens when a bunch of 60 or 70 year old men get in a room and attempt to make laws about technology they don't understand. YOU show me a 70 year old man who understands what DVD encryption or a Gigabyte even means!
            Well with HR2001, they are already working on breaking down DMCA, but it will take a few more hits, and probably the courts to interpret the legitimate rights of owners of purchased content to protect their investments. It is ironic that you can say that creating copied content is illegal when we allow manufactures to create DVD, VCR, CD burners and players. Seem kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

Comment

The box does not need to talk to the "mother ship" to view content.
              I would assume that is only true, as long as other people had the content on their boxes, which may not always be the case, right?

Comment

rstone,

I agree with what you said, but will making a "clone" of a DVD work? If so, then what good is the copy protection/encryption?

And if it doesn't work - if the content is really not playable - then what good is it to back it up?

Comment

I would assume that is only true, as long as other people had the content on their boxes, which may not always be the case, right?
                  If you own a movie, it stays on your box. Therefore, it does not need to talk to the mother ship in order to play it.

I've taken my Vudu to a friend's house with pre-loaded content and not hooked it up to the network...Worked great.

Comment

If you own a movie, it stays on your box. Therefore, it does not need to talk to the mother ship in order to play it.

I've taken my Vudu to a friend's house with pre-loaded content and not hooked it up to the network...Worked great.
                    Well I was more referring to if you did not always store content on your VUDU box and at a later time wished to watch it. Assuming VUDU servers were not available anymore.

Comment

I agree with what you said, but will making a "clone" of a DVD work? If so, then what good is the copy protection/encryption?

And if it doesn't work - if the content is really not playable - then what good is it to back it up?
                      I don't see why you should not be able to clone a physical DVD to another physical DVD disc, since cloning creates an exact duplicate in every way, and leaving everything in tact as it was on the original. However, I don't think most people are looking to create more physical DVD's, want they want is to put the DVD on their PC, HTPC, NAS, Xbox, etc...so they can stream the content where-ever they want, anytime they want. Cloning does does help you in that respect, and really is not a real concern by the studio's, what they are concerned with is mostly Internet trading through P2P networks, etc, and by allow consumers to "Copy" their data into a digital format on their PC, they open the door to piracy. Which is why they are going after manufactures who are creating these Copy DVD programs that defeat the encryption.

What makes the content available in the case of VUDU is the encryption key card in the front I assume, so cloning a VUDU HDD would be unplayable outside the VUDU box environment, which is why cloning is not defeating the encryption. You could clone an VUDU HDD easily, but without that key card, its just a giant paper-weight.

Comment

I don't see why you should not be able to clone a physical DVD to another physical DVD disc, since cloning creates an exact duplicate in every way, and leaving everything in tact as it was on the original.
                        Wouldn't that just be a high quality bootleg DVD that you could sell on the street and rob the studios, actors, ect. of their rightful royalties on copyrighted material?

Comment

Wouldn't that just be a high quality bootleg DVD that you could sell on the street and rob the studios, actors, ect. of their rightful royalties on copyrighted material?
                          Sure, if you were to so inclined to break the law, but I doubt you would get very far before the law caught up with you if you were doing a lot of volume. Regardless, when you look at piracy as a whole, law enforcement generally goes after the distributors who pirate mass quantities of software, not the individual who downloaded a couple pirated files on Kazaa. Its always a lot more economical for them to hit the source than the individual, generally.

However, if your really that concerned with bootlegging, maybe we should just do away with DVD-R players, VCR's, CD-R Recorders, DVR's, etc. After all an argument could be made, they perform the same ability to copy protected content, that can be ported to other electronic media.

Comment

Correct, which is why selling it or even giving away a copy is illegal. However, leaving the original in a hermetically sealed, humidity and temperature controlled vault (or your basement) and taking the cloned DVD for your toddlers to watch (and probably trash) in the car is perfectly legal, despite what the studios might claim.

Comment

Well I just closed on an Ebay auction tonight for a new VUDU.
                              Hopefully I'll get it in time to get the $50 in VUDU bucks for activation.
                              If there is still time, you might want to consider paying spending a few extra dollars for shipping insurance. Hopefully the Vudu will be shipped as factory packed, but if not, I'd hate to see it arrive DOA.

Comment

Originally posted by klieb View Post
                                If there is still time, you might want to consider paying spending a few extra dollars for shipping insurance. Hopefully the Vudu will be shipped as factory packed, but if not, I'd hate to see it arrive DOA.
                                The Ebay/Paypal buyer protection will cover me.

Comment

Working...
                                X