Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

What Compression (Codec) for HD content?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Compression (Codec) for HD content?

Can anyone tell me what compression method or codec is used on the HD content.

Obviously, the higher the compression, the more loss of quality. And if you're streaming content via the intertubes, there's going to be compression.

How much? What method?

Before I'm willing to commit to a box, I need to understand what sort of HD quality I can expect. I know the number is touted as 1080i/p, but that is useless is the compression method is sky high.

Thanks Vudu members.

Keith

Re: What Compression (Codec) for HD content?

The Vudu uses H.264 as the codec. I can't say how much compression but the quality is extremely good. Yes, a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will have slightly better quality but the Vudu is quite good for what you get. Read the comments people have posted. The file size is between 3 and 5 GB depending on the movie.

In terms of the resolution it is 1080p/24 not 1080i. The box will convert the 1080p/24 to whatever resolution is supported by your equipment (with the exception of 1080p/60). 1080p/24 actually allows you to stream more data in the same amount of bandwidth. We've done the bit stream calculations elsewhere in the forums here as well.

Vudu has a 30 day money back guarantee. So buy a box and if you don't like it, simply return it w/in a month and get your money back.

Comment

Be forewarned though, VUDU is addictive.

Comment

So I guess H.264 will allow for quality somewhere between a standard DVD and a high definition DVD.

It's still a tough call between VUDU and Netflix Blu-Ray. Maybe when the HD selection becomes a bit more comprehensive and current I would consider taking the plunge. Until then, it's tough to justify this one to the finance committee (wife).

TBD...

Thanks, all.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by keidalgrim View Post
          So I guess H.264 will allow for quality somewhere between a standard DVD and a high definition DVD.

It's still a tough call between VUDU and Netflix Blu-Ray. Maybe when the HD selection becomes a bit more comprehensive and current I would consider taking the plunge. Until then, it's tough to justify this one to the finance committee (wife).

TBD...

Thanks, all.

Keith
          Well, H.264 is one of the best video codecs/compression formats around today. The quality of the HD movies is way better than SD DVDs which use MPEG-2 as their file format. It's really not a tough call between Vudu and Netflix with a BluRay DVD. Vudu really wins all the way.

Why don't you purchase a box and see how you like it. I think you are trying to convince yourself not to get one. If you do get it, you know you'll like it...But if you don't, you have 30 days to return it...

Comment

Originally posted by keidalgrim View Post
            Maybe when the HD selection becomes a bit more comprehensive and current I would consider taking the plunge. Until then, it's tough to justify this one to the finance committee (wife).
            Surely the finance committee can understand all the complaints from the netflix/blu-ray folks here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=34479

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              Well, H.264 is one of the best video codecs/compression formats around today. The quality of the HD movies is way better than SD DVDs which use MPEG-2 as their file format. It's really not a tough call between Vudu and Netflix with a BluRay DVD. Vudu really wins all the way.
              I just watched ClockStoppers HD just for fun (not really my kind of movie).

It looked good on my 48" Aquos from the couch. But if I got up close to the screen, the picture seemed to quite a bit of small artifacts in it.

Is there a way to tell if the compression causes that or just the inherint quality of the content?

Do you have a movie that you particulary like for it's picture quality for me to compare?

Thanks!

Comment

I thought the first StarTrek movie looked particularly good. I found some spots in StarTrek VI that looked like artifacts but turning off any of the image processing on my TV helped.

These little artifacts are why guys like aaronwt buy the HDMI Flea!

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post

It looked good on my 48" Aquos from the couch. But if I got up close to the screen, the picture seemed to quite a bit of small artifacts in it.

Is there a way to tell if the compression causes that or just the inherint quality of the content?

Do you have a movie that you particulary like for it's picture quality for me to compare?

Thanks!

Comment

I found the Transformers HD to be quite impressive visually and audibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                    I found the Transformers HD to be quite impressive visually and audibly.
                    Thanks for the replies. I'll give those a try.

Comment

Thanks!
                      I watched clockstoppers on my 119" screen. I thought it looked great. A campy movie for sure, but one I'd been wanting to watch for a few years. Watching in HD made it better.

Comment

Originally posted by GArmbruster View Post
                        I watched clockstoppers on my 119" screen. I thought it looked great. A campy movie for sure, but one I'd been wanting to watch for a few years. Watching in HD made it better.
                        Yea, but how much of the screen can you see at once with that monster?

Comment

Originally posted by GArmbruster View Post
                          I watched Clockstoppers tonight also.

Comment

Now that's a coincidence. I just finished watching Clockstoppers too.

Comment

Thanks!
                              Almost any compressed digital output will show some level of artifacts if you are too close to the screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X