Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu makes Yahoo Headlines on HD Purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vudu makes Yahoo Headlines on HD Purchases

I opened my browser this morning and what do I see in the "technology" headline? A headline about Vudu and HD purchases. I knew this was coming but it's cool Vudu has made it to front page displays of websites. Look at the technology section:

Re: Vudu makes Yahoo Headlines on HD Purchases

That's what I'm talking about....Now the big question is, can I hook up a USB drive to allow for more storage? As I'm pretty full at this point.

Comment

There are 25 news stories about vudu on news.google.com

http://news.google.com/news?ned=us&h...ncl=1307643034

Apparently, this HD thing is HUGE... CNET, Reuters, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratus78 View Post
        That's what I'm talking about....Now the big question is, can I hook up a USB drive to allow for more storage? As I'm pretty full at this point.
        Only time will tell if USB will be supported or not. But from the news report I read, all these HD titles can be "cloud" archived which means they can be deleted from the box but yet still accessible for viewing later like all other indie content and TV shows. Being able to archive to the cloud is, IMHO, a MUCH better option (well maybe not for HDX but for HD yes).

Comment

Yes archiving to the VUDU cloud is supported for the movies from these studio's. Its a great feature to allow you to purchase and watch any time you want and not worry about the storage space on the VUDU.

With SD and HD you can instantly stream them back down and watch them live but with HDX there will be a delay.

Having a local method to archive has been on our whish list for the VUDU for a while. Hopefully we will see this feature soon.

Comment

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/02/24...nd-hdx-movies/

On an unrelated note, somebody please take a new photo for engadget!

Comment

Just for an example, Transsiberian on Blu-ray is $11.49 on Amazon. What will the purchase price be on VUDO for HDX?

Comment

The age of waiting days on end for a disc to show up in the mail from amazon is long over for me, but I agree with the lower overhead on sales via Vudu (i.e. zero production costs) the prices should ideally be lower than even the discounted amazon retail price. For the record Transsiberian (HDX) is $18.99 on Vudu. List price for the blu-ray is $34.98.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Erased View Post
                  The age of waiting days on end for a disc to show up in the mail from amazon is long over for me, but I agree with the lower overhead on sales via Vudu (i.e. zero production costs) the prices should ideally be lower than even the discounted amazon retail price. For the record Transsiberian (HDX) is $18.99 on Vudu. List price for the blu-ray is $34.98.
                  Vudu's costs for providing a movie aren't zero. They have to pay license fees and do work to transcode the movie, continually develop software to improve the experience, etc. By contrast, the physical cost of creating a DVD is a few pennies. You really can't consider the physical cost of providing one copy of a movie as any significant part of what is charged, so it shouldn't make any real difference one way or the other. It's all about the revenue to the artists and studios.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                    Vudu's costs for providing a movie aren't zero. They have to pay license fees and do work to transcode the movie, continually develop software to improve the experience, etc. By contrast, the physical cost of creating a DVD is a few pennies.
                    I know, I should have said 'zero manufacturing costs'. The cost of encoding is a production cost yes, but my understanding is Vudu takes that hit. And there is a margin for Vudu on the sale of course but then there is a margin for Amazon on the sale of the disc too.

There are savings made by using the internet as a delivery model versus optical discs shipped to store. I'm sure as the business models evolve we will see more of these savings passed on to the end customer.

Anyway congrat's to all at Vudu for what I think is a very under appreciated milestone in the industry.

Comment

I'm a little confused. You can buy HDX movies but there's STILL no approved external archival device? Considering the economy and VUDU's tenuous financial state "cloud" archival is little more than a lick and a promise. If I invest in an HDX film I want to make sure that investment is available to me with or without VUDU. If not, why buy it from VUDU when I can purchase a Blu-ray disc and be assured the film will be there for me years from now?

I think Apple & ATV can weather this economic storm. I'm not convinced VUDU will. Sorry, this news is not very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by illuscon View Post
                        I'm a little confused. You can buy HDX movies but there's STILL no approved external archival device? Considering the economy and VUDU's tenuous financial state "cloud" archival is little more than a lick and a promise. If I invest in an HDX film I want to make sure that investment is available to me with or without VUDU. If not, why buy it from VUDU when I can purchase a Blu-ray disc and be assured the film will be there for me years from now?

I think Apple & ATV can weather this economic storm. I'm not convinced VUDU will. Sorry, this news is not very impressive.
                        Well, the 2.1.1 (or is it 2.1.2?) firmware build which is what is released now does not have any form of external storage support. I would hope that with this new announcement that the next build (which I'd assume to be 2.2) would have some sort of external storage capability. Unfortunately, we have no idea on if this feature is actually included or for that matter when 2.2 will be released. If Vudu holds true to form though it should be pretty soon as major releases tend to come out every 8 to 10 weeks and it's nearly been that long.

Comment

This is a great example of what is wrong with VOD today. You can't price a restricted electronic version of a movie for the same price as the unrestricted* physical copy PLUS the cost of renting said movie and expect to sell movies.

VOD/electronic only distribution needs to reflect the reduced cost of manf. and distribution. While the marginal cost of 1 more blu-ray disk is low you have to inlcude the cost of capital for the manf. plants, cost to ship, import, distribute, wholesale, stock, and retail each disk. That is not a small cost relative to the other costs involved and far excedds the cost of electronic dist. via VUDU or similar. And, the consumer has 'less' in most cases since they can't sell, trade, loan, or give away a VUDU movie like they can a DVD.

I love our VUDU and the ease of use and quality of the videos but few people will pay more for 'less'. I don't pretend that this is all VUDU issue; the content owners are likely as much or more to blaim but either way everyone ends up getting short changed in the long run. Fewer people will buy via VUDU and others, the content owners will get less $s, and content piracy will continue to go up and up.

My $.02

*I understand that DVDs are encrypted and you are not intended to copy them. I also understand the reality of how DVDs are often used.

Originally posted by Citizen Erased View Post

Comment

Originally posted by deparson View Post
                            I love our VUDU and the ease of use and quality of the videos but few people will pay more for 'less'.
                            I agree with a lot of what you say. However, I would disagree a bit on this part. I don't think you can really equate the "amount" you are getting between the 2. While it is true you don't get the physical disk, etc., I can personally say that having a movie collection comprised of physical disks became almost completely useless to me due to the inability to store them in an organized fashion, know what I had, find it when I needed, etc. Then, I bought a s&&tload of equipment and spent $1000s trying to bring the value back to being something useful again by creating my own homegrown VOD solution. Continuing to do that would have cost me a lot of time and money (way more than buying it on Vudu).

So in effect, assuming that I can rent what I want to watch, when I want to watch it, and buy the movies that it makes sense for me to own and archive them on the cloud, I am getting much more with Vudu and paying much less. Sometimes you have to look at the differences between the things more completely to determine their real cost vs. value.

Comment

It does not make sense to archive on the "cloud" unless VUDU begins to demonstrate that they can weather this economic storm. As I said, I'm not convinced VUDU will. In fact, they have done nothing to prove that they can survive in their current form. Layoffs. Dramatic price drops... VUDU refuses to release sales numbers so I am not inclined to purchase movies from them and only to find out one day it's all gone.

That's the 800 pound gorilla in the room and users should really demand more information about the state of VUDU's health before users invest anymore hard earned dollars.

Comment

Working...
                              X