Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudud 2.2 (rev 34051)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vudud 2.2 (rev 34051)

Just noticed blue arrows and a blue outline around the covers. Also each cover now has a yellow outline with the rating on top... Nice.

I see the announcement is already up. I like seeing software "improvements" being pushed on regular basis... Keep it up Vudu.

Re: Vudud 2.2 (rev 34051)

Hello!... I found "one" new feature in 2.2. I can now use the Scroll Wheel to FF and FR youtube videos.

Comment

No external storage yet?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
        No external storage yet?
        From what I gather, I'm afraid that the support for external storage is more of a content owner's negotiation issue than a software/hardware implementation issue. I would not be surprised if proof-of-concept software modules to make this happen are already in existence, but they're not finalized or pushed to the boxes because the deals are not cooked. (I'm speculating here) Somewhere in this forum I read that Vudu had "supposedly" gotten into some strict contracts that prevents Vudu from delivering the content outside the box. Well... I believe "all" contracts can be renegotiated and modified if the parties agree. The content owners want to make as much money as possible... and so does Vudu. One of the problems is that Vudu is not the only game in town and content owners use that as leverage to add restrictions. Given that, Vudu has to make every possible effort to come up with a suitable agreement that benefits them, the content owners and gives their costumers the most flexibility... That my friends is the Holly Grail, but we all know how hard it is to get it.

Apple was able to do something similar for music content with iTunes... The thing is that video content owners learned their lesson and are now wary of who the consumer views as the content provider. The movie studios don't want to give up as much control of the consumers as the music studios gave up to Apple. I think this is what's currently stumping the growth of VOD.

I experienced something similar with Time Warner Cable and their SA 8300HD and HDC DVR boxes. The USB and Sata ports were in the boxes, but the ability use external storage was disabled. They eventually enabled them, but with some caveats. Namely, one can only view the content recorded in the external drive from the "same" DVR from which it was recorded and some remote control features are lost when the content is being recorded/played to/from the external drive.

I mentioned, in another thread, that given that the Vudu box has a smartcard, that if the external storage content was "secured" using the smartcard that then playing this external storage content in another device would then be made possible using the same smartcard. I'm not saying that this is the way it is or will be... all I'm saying is that with a model that facilitates playing content purchased in one Vudu box to play in another Vudu Box/Device "can" make the purchasing videos more palatable. The SA 8300HD that I have has a smartcard slot, but there is no card in it. TWC implemented their solution based on the DVR box itself, but they do not sell videos... they only rent them... and VOD can not be recorded in or outside the DVR.

Comment

Originally posted by tamanaco View Post
          ..........I mentioned, in another thread, that given that the Vudu box has a smartcard, that if the external storage content was "secured" using the smartcard that then playing this external storage content in another device would then be made possible using the same smartcard. I'm not saying that this is the way it is or will be... all I'm saying is that with a model that facilitates playing content purchased in one Vudu box to play in another Vudu Box/Device "can" make the purchasing videos more palatable............
          This is how it works with the Xbox 360 and your gamertag. You take your gamertag with you on a memory unit and you can watch the content purchased with that gamertag on any 360 machine(as long as you can access the internet and log into Xbox Live)

The initial box the content was downloaded to will work without logging into Xblox Live. You just need to be logged into your gamertag.

Comment

This is how it works with the Xbox 360 and your gamertag. You take your gamertag with you on a memory unit and you can watch the content purchased with that gamertag on any 360 machine(as long as you can access the internet and log into Xbox Live)

The initial box the content was downloaded to will work without logging into Xblox Live. You just need to be logged into your gamertag.
            I think that eventually Netflix and others in this arena will have to implement a similar model if they haven't already done so. Specially for purchased content. As you know, Netflix is already working on a "player" for computers. In another thread you mentioned that you were going to test the Netflix player. Did you test it? If so, does it only work for "streamed" rental videos? Does it also work with "downloaded" purchased videos? If Netflix already allows rental and/or purchased videos to play outside the Roku box, then Vudu might be able to persuade its content suppliers to allow them to implement something similar. As I said before, I'm not familiar with the player, but if you have used it, can you also tell us how does the player secures the streamed video session with the Netflix/Amazon service?

Comment

2.2 fixes a number of problems with audio issues as well. There's now an audio delay feature where you can adjust the audio and video sync. I think there's been fixes for some of the Denon equipment that's been giving people problems.

Also, I believe the UI now tells you how much of the movie has been downloaded by a progress bar on the info page. And I think it gives you the amount of free space left on your hard drive.

So there's some slickness added to things.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                And I think it gives you the amount of free space left on your hard drive.
                I have not rented a movie since the w/e... do you know if this info appear during the download of rentals and purchases?

I don't know if it was there before, but I just noticed what appears to be a real-time "Current bandwidth usage" info in two lines.
                Download: xxx Kbps
                Upload: xxx Kbps
                This is located in the Recommended Bandwidth Limit Page. This should help those that suspect that the Vudu box is hugging their network bandwidth.

Comment

I have not rented a movie since the w/e... do you know if this info appear during the download of rentals and purchases?
                  It should show up in MyMovies or wherever you see your list of content. It could have been taken out before release - I never know what the public release ends up being sometimes. So if it's not there, I'm sorry...

I don't know if it was there before, but I just noticed what appears to be a real-time "Current bandwidth usage" info in two lines.
                  Download: xxx Kbps
                  Upload: xxx Kbps
                  This is located in the Recommended Bandwidth Limit Page. This should help those that suspect that the Vudu box is hugging their network bandwidth.
                  This is not new. This has been there for some time - at least since last fall.

Comment

It should show up in MyMovies or wherever you see your list of content. It could have been taken out before release - I never know what the public release ends up being sometimes. So if it's not there, I'm sorry...
                    Ok I looked under MyMovies, but is not there. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to see what happens when I rent a movie.

This is not new. This has been there for some time - at least since last fall.
                    First time I noticed it was today.

Btw, I rebooted the box twice already, to see if I could get my Wish List back. Not such luck. It only lists two movies the rest disappeared after the software update. Did anyone else experienced this?

Comment

I think that eventually Netflix and others in this arena will have to implement a similar model if they haven't already done so. Specially for purchased content. As you know, Netflix is already working on a "player" for computers. In another thread you mentioned that you were going to test the Netflix player. Did you test it? If so, does it only work for "streamed" rental videos? Does it also work with "downloaded" purchased videos? If Netflix already allows rental and/or purchased videos to play outside the Roku box, then Vudu might be able to persuade its content suppliers to allow them to implement something similar. As I said before, I'm not familiar with the player, but if you have used it, can you also tell us how does the player secures the streamed video session with the Netflix/Amazon service?
                      I never got around to trying out the Netflix player on the PC.

Comment

I never got around to trying out the Netflix player on the PC.
                        Please let us know how it works and what you think... if and when you try it.

thanks....

Comment

If so, does it only work for "streamed" rental videos? Does it also work with "downloaded" purchased videos? If Netflix already allows rental and/or purchased videos to play outside the Roku box, then Vudu might be able to persuade its content suppliers to allow them to implement something similar. As I said before, I'm not familiar with the player, but if you have used it, can you also tell us how does the player secures the streamed video session with the Netflix/Amazon service?
                          Netflix doesn't do purchases. It's just unlimited streaming from a shifting and mostly older and/or indy library. Amazon VOD, by comparison, has always supported multiple devices. For example, I can watch purchased content from my library on PC, TiVo, or Roku box. Amazon will re-download the video from their servers to you if you don't already have it on a device. And I think you can store copies on two TiVo units simultaneously as another point of comparison. Although, Amazon VOD is all SD these days. I believe iTunes video is similar, but without a backup in Apple's cloud. If you buy a video, you can watch it on your computer, on your AppleTV or your iPhone and move it about.

Comment

Originally posted by davezatz View Post
                            Netflix doesn't do purchases. It's just unlimited streaming from a shifting and mostly older and/or indy library. Amazon VOD, by comparison, has always supported multiple devices. For example, I can watch purchased content from my library on PC, TiVo, or Roku box. Amazon will re-download the video from their servers to you if you don't already have it on a device. And I think you can store copies on two TiVo units simultaneously as another point of comparison. Although, Amazon VOD is all SD these days. I believe iTunes video is similar, but without a backup in Apple's cloud. If you buy a video, you can watch it on your computer, on your AppleTV or your iPhone and move it about.
                            You are correct, Dave.

This is one thing I don't understand about Vudu. Amazon allows me to store any video on their cloud and I can watch on both my Tivos. I think the rules are up to 3 devices can watch an Amazon title. Two of them can be Tivos. The third can be a PC, etc. So why does Vudu not allow cloud archival of everything (still can't figure that one out - I've mentioned the security aspects as a bonus many times), or allow me to watch content on multiple boxes?

The non-level DRM playing field is nuts...Not Vudu's fault, but the content owner's fault...

Comment

You are correct, Dave.

This is one thing I don't understand about Vudu. Amazon allows me to store any video on their cloud and I can watch on both my Tivos. I think the rules are up to 3 devices can watch an Amazon title. Two of them can be Tivos. The third can be a PC, etc. So why does Vudu not allow cloud archival of everything (still can't figure that one out - I've mentioned the security aspects as a bonus many times), or allow me to watch content on multiple boxes?

The non-level DRM playing field is nuts...Not Vudu's fault, but the content owner's fault...
                              How does Amazon enforce the restriction to 3 devices? How do they make sure that you're playing it on an authorized PC, Tivo or Roku box? I think that we're all in agreement that at least for videos "purchased" via Vudu one should have the flexibility to play them in a few devices. Specially if stored in the Vudu cloud.

I think that one of the issues for any distributor is how to enforce the number of devices on which the video plays as specified by the content owner. Also how to identify authorized users before allow them to play the video. As it stands, it "appears" that Vudu purchased video can only play in the Vudu box from which it was purchased, but I have not seen an "official" document clarifying the restrictions. I understand that there are "business restrictions" specified by the content owners; but there is also a technology enabling component to enforce the "business restrictions".

Maybe Vudu has an Ace up their sleeves. Restricting the playing of rental videos to one box is fine, but having the same restriction for purchased videos is a business model doomed to failure... specially if other players in the arena (Amazon) do not have such restriction. I have to "assume" that Vudu is negotiating with the studios to remove these restrictions. The studios will come to the realization that if they can enabled increased revenues for Vudu that they in term will benefit from that increase. I know this new model conflicts with the Studios' DVD/BlueRay cash cow... but they see the writting on the wall. Like it or not... online distribution of video content is the future and the key to survival for some of these studios.

Comment

Working...
                              X