Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Engadget article - LAN streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engadget article - LAN streaming

Anyone see this yet?? Maybe we'll soon be able to stream our own videos - this could be king if it supports enough codecs/containers!!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/16/p...streaming-too/

Re: Engadget article - LAN streaming

"Our open development environment allows us to easily release new applications in partnership with some of today's most popular services and content delivery platforms, increasing the value of the VUDU service platform for our users and partners."

"Our Open..." .... "allows us... in partnership"?... Is this "open" development platform only going to be made available to "partners" and not to the general public?... I hope not... Maybe I'm reading too much in between the lines.

Comment

Originally posted by tamanaco View Post
      "Our Open..." .... "allows us... in partnership"?... Is this "open" development platform only going to be made available to "partners" and not to the general public?

I don't read it that way. I'm expecting to see more like the Pandora app in Vudu labs. They partner with Pandora to develop the app and then release it to the general public, for example...

Comment

Would Vudu and/or the production companies release a tool that would basically allow users to bypass purchasing movies? (just torrent them instead) It is a great feature and I'm probably overreacting - I'm sure only a small fraction of Vudu's user base would go to the trouble of downloading a movie instead of paying $5 to rent it. And users looking to download pre-release movies are going to do that anyway regardless of being able to play them on a Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by Taveanator View Post
          Would Vudu and/or the production companies release a tool that would basically allow users to bypass purchasing movies? (just torrent them instead) It is a great feature and I'm probably overreacting - I'm sure only a small fraction of Vudu's user base would go to the trouble of downloading a movie instead of paying $5 to rent it. And users looking to download pre-release movies are going to do that anyway regardless of being able to play them on a Vudu.
          I think that would be a mistake. You have movie studios who completely control what content they will allow Vudu to have. I would bet that if Vudu gives this ability it would make the studios more reluctant to accept the VOD business paradigm and could hinder the agreements, thus possibly reducing the amount of content for Vudu itself.

Comment

This really depends on whether RIA apps will need to be run from VUDU's servers/be approved by VUDU or they'll be local. Obviously, no torrent app will make it through official channels and same would probably be true for a plug-in for Hulu/TV.com/etc. But as we've seen with AppleTV, unofficial apps could supplement functionality greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
              This really depends on whether RIA apps will need to be run from VUDU's servers/be approved by VUDU or they'll be local. Obviously, no torrent app will make it through official channels and same would probably be true for a plug-in for Hulu/TV.com/etc. But as we've seen with AppleTV, unofficial apps could supplement functionality greatly.
              You make a good point here... I "believe" the Vudu Labs concept and most of its features will live in the cloud. Other components/features to enhance the box functionality will continue to be "pushed" into the box. This is where the "partners" will add features. In other words, the door to add features to the Vudu Labs (in the Vudu box) environment will be in the cloud and always controlled by Vudu. The rumor mill (leaked picture with the "Home Movies" feature under Picasa) seems to point to another component that will have to live in a local computer at home to be able to stream content to the Vudu box. Let's called it "Local Vudu Labs"... this is where "independent" development if allow "might" occur... In other words, the Vudu box itself will be a closed environment the plugins will be developed/deployed on an external local "server" component that would be open to "independent" developers... and partners. Do I make sense... Of course... I'm speculating here.

Comment

"VUDU soon to add PC-streaming feature"

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...aming-feature/

Official word that VUDU jazzed up its service offering with the addition of Pandora came through this morning but now some less-than-official news is creeping out that may be even more interesting. As you can see in the leaked screen shot above, VUDU is currently working on a new feature called Home Movies. According to Zatz Not Funny!, Home Movies will provide a Slingcatcher-like PC to TV streaming experience. It will reportedly allow users to stream H.264 video from a PC to the VUDU box, plugging yet another hole hole as the team continues to add value beyond HD movie rentals and purchases. It looks like the advent of the RIA platform was indeed a pretty effective catalyst for VUDU ? let?s hope it can continue to add new features and services as the company makes its best effort to weather the storm.

Sounds good to me!

Comment

Questions and feature request:

If this feature is enabled, will it receive content over a SMB share?

Do you have a beta test program for users?

Please include support for .TP HD content recorded from OTA antenna with a Dvico HD tuner.

Thanks,

Hexnut

Comment

Hexnut,

We can't discuss, confirm or deny any specifics or features that are not yet released to the public at large. Vudu has a robust beta team that is involved with testing new features. Those who are on it cannot discuss what is or what is not coming nor should they really indicate they are in the program.

I do not know if Vudu is adding beta testers at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      nor should they really indicate they are in the program.
                      I doubt the disclosure of one being a beta member is a violation of the NDA, although personally, if I was one I wouldn't say, not for fear of the NDA, but because I would not want to be nagged about things I might know.

Comment

Originally posted by rstone View Post
                        I doubt the disclosure of one being a beta member is a violation of the NDA, although personally, if I was one I wouldn't say, not for fear of the NDA, but because I would not want to be nagged about things I might know.
                        I don't know. I've been in betas for companies in the past where to even tell someone you were in the beta was an NDA violation. It's just better not to disclose anything...

Comment

Yes. the last beta program I was in, it was a violation of the NDA to disclose that you were in the beta program.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                            Yes. the last beta program I was in, it was a violation of the NDA to disclose that you were in the beta program.
                            Interesting, although I fail to see how revealing their participation has ANYTHING to do with product or testing information and therefore a threat to disclosure. My guess is in a court of law, they would be hard pressed to win a NDA on those grounds, as your revelation does absolutely nothing to hurt them in ANY way financially.

Comment

Originally posted by rstone View Post
                              Interesting, although I fail to see how revealing their participation has ANYTHING to do with product or testing information and therefore a threat to disclosure. My guess is in a court of law, they would be hard pressed to win a NDA on those grounds, as your revelation does absolutely nothing to hurt them in ANY way financially.
                              My guess is that someone who identifies themselves as a beta tester can become an instant target for others to try to get proprietary information out of. Some of those attempts could be quite tempting and could lead to leaks that would not otherwise occur.

Of course those leaks would be a violation of the NDA but it makes better business sense to reduce the actual possibility of them occurring by making the beta disclosure itself a violoation of the NDA. That way, if someone violates the NDA by announcing they are a beta member, they could be kicked out of the beta problem so that they don't have any further proprietary information. That's what I would do if I was running such a thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X