Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Love for Vudu, but Netflix has me wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love for Vudu, but Netflix has me wondering

Okay, I love my VUDU. Not in any way wanting to stop using it.
    My question is how can Netflix (through Xbox360) offer such great movies in HD streamed to me.
    I literally spent 2 hours yesterday adding movies to my instant que. Now I will admit when Xbox released the Netflix thing I checked it out and was not impressed. THey had nothing but old Tv shows and a few movies.
    Cut to March 19th and they have added 1000's of movies. Plus more TV series (though still lacking on quite a few (BUFFY?)).

Vudu is great at offering first run movies almost out of the box when they come out on DVD. But I really like paying 10 dollars a month to get streaming movies and television shows any time I want to watch.

The cool thing is you can just add anything to your instant que and it is there forever. Heck I got stuff from November that I watched last night. Old Twilight Zone show from the 60s.
    Do we need to add Netflix to VUDU? Or does Vudu need to set up a pricing model like Netflix?

I am a little worried because the reason I love VUDU is the HD content. HDX now that is out. But lets be honest, if I can watch the same movies in regular HD (Not HDX) for less than 10 dollars a month I will do it.

I can afford the rental from VUDU, but I would rather start a movie with NetFlix and pause it. Come back in 2 days and start it again and maybe finish it.
    Right now I rent a movie with Vudu and its 50/50 if I get to see the whole thing.
    Just some thoughts. I am moving my XBox360 to my theater room right now just because of the NETFLIX addon. Not sure I want to play games in my theater room, but I sure would like to see the movies.

Re: Love for Vudu, but Netflix has me wondering

The Netflix streaming ability has a lot of positives. And it's reasonable that you may want to watch some films that way. But Vudu's got advantages for sure in quality that Netflix doesn't have.

I'm not sure how long Netflix will be able to keep up the "unlimited" free thing as they have to pay the studios for every movie watched. Still, even I have been tempted to sign up now that I have Netflix on my Tivos...

I do think that Vudu gives a better overall user experience but it's not going to be the device that provides 100% of your entertainment either. We'll still accept you if you have other devices!

Comment

Is there a reason you have to pick just one? Seems to me if there are advantages to each service, why not use both? Since there is no monthly fee for VUDU, it doesn't cost you anything if you go off to Netflix-land for awhile.

Comment

People on here and AVS generally think that VUDU + unlimited rental service (i.e. Netflix, BBO) is complimentary. Over on AVS, many have chosen to drop Netflix to 1- or 2-disk out plans (in big part b/c of streaming, especially for TV shows which are lacking on VUDU).

As to why Netflix added a bunch of good movies -- they signed agreement with Starz a little while back which added Starz-exlusive movies to Netflix's streaming library. They also signed agreement to acquire first 9 or 10 seasons of "South Park" last week.

However, adding content is costly and it's expected that pricing structure will have to change to accomodate more first-run/premium content. Netflix admitted that streaming-only plan(s) will come out this year and, IIRC, there's been surveys about paying a premium for HBO/Showtime content or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jleavens View Post
          Is there a reason you have to pick just one? Seems to me if there are advantages to each service, why not use both? Since there is no monthly fee for VUDU, it doesn't cost you anything if you go off to Netflix-land for awhile.
          I would prefer to have just one. For me, having to go to multiple devices to see which one has the movie I want in the format I want is a PITA. I want my VOD on one device period. I have tried to use Amazon on my Tivo in the past and it just made me frustrated about how much less pleasant that interface was to use than Vudu. I'll turn the question around. Why would you not want one device that completely satisfied your movie needs? Wouldn't that be preferable? If Box B has something good that Box A doesn't have, I would think that it's in Box A's interest to pick up what Box B has that it's missing.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
            I would prefer to have just one. For me, having to go to multiple devices to see which one has the movie I want in the format I want is a PITA. I want my VOD on one device period. I have tried to use Amazon on my Tivo in the past and it just made me frustrated about how much less pleasant that interface was to use than Vudu. I'll turn the question around. Why would you not want one device that completely satisfied your movie needs? Wouldn't that be preferable? If Box B has something good that Box A doesn't have, I would think that it's in Box A's interest to pick up what Box B has that it's missing.
            No device out there has all the same movies available to watch for VOD/steraming. So you need to have multiple boxes to maximize your choices.
            I personally use VUDU, Xbox Live, Netflix streaming(on TiVo and the 360)FIOS VOD and the PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
              No device out there has all the same movies available to watch for VOD/steraming. So you need to have multiple boxes to maximize your choices.
              I agree that no one box has everything today. However, I prefer to pick one (and only one) that meets my needs best and exclusively use that. So far, Vudu has been the clear winner for me. If it isn't on Vudu, I just don't watch it. I have to believe that over time, this will improve to the point where the differences will be minimal.

I understand that others, like yourself, prefer to use the multi-provider approach so I'm not saying that is wrong in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                I agree that no one box has everything today. However, I prefer to pick one (and only one) that meets my needs best and exclusively use that. So far, Vudu has been the clear winner for me. If it isn't on Vudu, I just don't watch it. I have to believe that over time, this will improve to the point where the differences will be minimal.

I understand that others, like yourself, prefer to use the multi-provider approach so I'm not saying that is wrong in any way.
                I don't necessarily prefer it. if I had my way everything would be available on one box. But like music, it probably will never happen.
                Providers have to differentiate themselves so I could see exclusive deals with some of them. Plus with SOny they also have an incentive to keep it on their own sony network.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                  I don't necessarily prefer it. if I had my way everything would be available on one box. But like music, it probably will never happen.
                  I should have said "prefer to deal with today's shortcomings". For me, even though I don't get everything, if there is enough stuff that I want, then I'm ok with not getting what isn't there. I figure that way I don't give my money to companies that don't make their content available to Vudu, so it's really their loss as well.

Comment

I actually just bought a Roku Netflix player for Christmas and my experience has been so-so with it. I was not a netflix user before but I thought that netflix streaming would be a good way to have catalogue titles available for cheap ($8/month) while using something else for renting more mainstream titles. Overall IMHO the netflix encodes leave A LOT to be desired. It is ok, I guess, for watching something old on a slow afternoon but that is about it. It will be interesting I think if the ROKU player gets access to eventual Amazon HD rentals. That could make the $99 Roku pretty competitive in this field. Until then, at the least, devices like VUDU and ATV will still get used a lot more in my house.

Comment

I was never a subscriber to Netflix until about a month ago. I've had my Vudu for about 6 months and have loved it but I figured a great way to supplement would be Netflix....not Netflix streaming but the regular DVD system. A friend of mine has the xbox and I've spent some time watching "instant" with his system, however, the streaming/quality of the movies wasn't on Vudu's level and it's just not worth investing in another device at this point. If I really have to see something instantly that isn't on Vudu but is on Netflix "instant", I can always check it out on my computer....for now, the DVD Netflix delivery system is more than fast enough to supplement my Vudu if need be. As an example, I'm currently watching the entire Battlestar Gallactica series (really good btw) thru Netflix as I can't get that on Vudu.

Comment

This has become the bigger deal for us. It is really hard for us to watch a full length movie in 24 hours and it is keeping us from renting more movies on VUDU.

With two small children and other responsibilities we are lucky to get an hour in an evening to sit down and watch a movie. So, if we start watching a 2 hour movie at, say, 9PM on Monday and we get through 1 hour we can't finish it in 24 hours; come back at 9PM on Tuesday and it is already expired.

Clearly the 'industry' did not really think out their VOD rental model that well. We totally love VUDO but if we don't end up using it much we might move to the Netflicks program where you are not limited to 24 hours.

Originally posted by hersheytx View Post
                        I can afford the rental from VUDU, but I would rather start a movie with NetFlix and pause it. Come back in 2 days and start it again and maybe finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerel56 View Post
                          I was never a subscriber to Netflix until about a month ago.
                          I tried Netflix a long time ago, and I really didn't like it. I'm to lazy to mail DVDs and I'm too impatient to wait to watch a movie, as my mood changes from hour to hour. If I want to watch it, I want to watch it now, now a week from now. In a week I may have lost interest in even watching the movie. There are even times I rent a movie on VUDU and never watch it, because I didn't watch it right away and lost interest in watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by deparson View Post
                            This has become the bigger deal for us. It is really hard for us to watch a full length movie in 24 hours and it is keeping us from renting more movies on VUDU.

With two small children and other responsibilities we are lucky to get an hour in an evening to sit down and watch a movie. So, if we start watching a 2 hour movie at, say, 9PM on Monday and we get through 1 hour we can't finish it in 24 hours; come back at 9PM on Tuesday and it is already expired.

Clearly the 'industry' did not really think out their VOD rental model that well. We totally love VUDO but if we don't end up using it much we might move to the Netflicks program where you are not limited to 24 hours.
                            Back when VUDU came out, 24-hr thing was debated heavily. Unfortunately, pretty much all the VOD providers are on the same footing here. However, this has become a lesser issue* for VUDU with the implementation of extended rentals for a fraction of a full price. None of the competitors offer that, AFAIK.

* -- needless to say, we'd all love 24-hr window to be extended though.

@ Jerel56 -- VUDU has "BSG: Razor" movie.

Comment

Since I have an HD Tivo I decided I would try out the free 2 week Netflix trial to see how I liked the instant streaming thing. Before I start, I will say this - I don't necessarily care if I get the ONE perfect box for serving all my needs. To me, this is what a good universal remote is for. I can VERY easily switch activities with my Harmony 890 remote so having one box or 10 boxes to serve my entertainment needs is not a factor for me.

My overall takewarey so far is that it's a good supplement for Vudu. So far I've mainly used it to watch TV shows but I have added a few movies in there that were on my Vudu wishlist. Ironically I started watching one movie on Vudu and never got to finish it so now I can finish it on Netflix.

I think I'll keep the service. BUT...

It in no way is up to par with Vudu in terms of quality, and I mean this in several areas. Picture quality - not even close... but the interface is a big step down as well. On top of that you need to feed your "watch instantly" queue via computer. If I could simply browse the database with my remote it would be much better.

But another area that I'm finding quite useful is that you can sort based on community ratings - something not yet available on Vudu.

Another negative for Netflix through my Tivo - the interface can be slow (just like all aspects of the Tivo interface).

A positive for Netflix - I found a 4 hour mofia movie that I'd NEVER rent on Vudu b/c I couldn't make myself sit and watch a movie that long in one sitting. I can turn this into a TV mini-series with Netflix and watch it over a week or more if I want to. In other words I feel like I have more freedom with the content.

The TV content through Netflix is quite good as well. Vudu needs to bring more to the table here.

I know I'm rambling, but all in all - it's a decent service and a solid supplement to Vudu but Vudu will still remain my primary source.

Comment

Working...
                              X