Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

My Thoughts on VUDU's Business Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Thoughts on VUDU's Business Strategy

The VUDU's big value proposition to us consumers is this:

Buy or rent from a library of thousands of movies/TV shows in the comfort of your home, watch them instantly, and discover new movies in ways never before done.

I think it's a compelling value proposition, but two major competitors are emerging: NetFlix and AppleTV. Here's what I think their value propositions are:

NetFlix:
    For a limited per-month fee and for a one-time purchase fee, rent from a larger library of thousands of movies/TV shows in the comfort of your home, watch them instantly, and discover new movies in ways never before done.

AppleTV:
    Download movies/TV shows from iTunes and watch on your AppleTV. Also discover new movies in ways never before done, play your music, watch home movies, view pictures, and discover new content in ways never before done.

So what's happening is that the core service is "guy/rent movies instantly" and we're starting to see the different dimensions on which consumers will judge the quality of these offerings:

(1) Available Movies
    Probably the most important...

(2) User Interface
    Important still not as important as available movies

(3) Setup Cost / Per-Movie Cost

(4) Extra Features
    Playing music, viewing photos, etc.

The VUDU is an amazing technical achievement, but in order to effectively compete over the next 12-18 months, they've got to really differentiate themselves in these four areas. If I were VUDU, here's what I would do. Obviously, each new feature costs money and takes time, but assuming those issues can be addressed, here's my strategy:

(1) AGGRESSIVELY build the library
    The user interface is superb and extra features are not yet major influences for most consumers. The cost is what it is but it's competitive with AppleTV. The most important thing VUDU can do in the next few weeks is to BUILD THAT DAMN LIBRARY.

I'd say that when I go hunting for a movie on the VUDU (my most recent example: "A Beautiful Mind") I only find it 50% of the time. That's pretty bad. And while iTunes is no better, NetFlix kicks complete *** here.

On the other hand, NetFlix will almost surely have an inferior set top box, so the only way to neutralize the NetFlix advantage is to have an AWESOME library. So far, VUDU has, in my opinion, failed to achieve this. It's the best library there is for a device of its type, but, to be perfectly honest, it still kind of sucks.

Case in point: Russel Crowe is one of my favorite actors. I was excited to rent Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, etc. I did a Russel Crow search and came up with a whopping 4 movies. This even inspired me to make denigrating comments about the VUDU in conversation.

The system right now is, in my opinion, good enough to inspire buyers. But now, it's the library, stupid.

(2) Extra Feature #1: Streaming Music
    In the registration survey, VUDU asked us how much we care about streaming from Rhapsody Music Service. Whatever people actually wrote in their responses, this is the most important auxiliary feature VUDU can add. For $13/month, you can stream over 4.5 million songs. Wow.

TiVo added this feature, their interface is TERRIBLE and I still use it all the time. My friends see me using it and get excited and jealous. If they saw the movies piece and the Rhapsody piece and it actually had a good interface, I think they'd be inspired to sign up.

Rhapsody is also key because, for obvious reasons, AppleTV will NEVER have streaming music the way Rhapsody offers it (where you pay $13 and can play millions of songs for free). Even though the iTunes "pay to play" model is the dominant player for digital music, if VUDU can be the "$13/month for 4.5 million songs" alternative, that's a great place to be. Now you give consumers a choice instead of just trying to be an imitation of something else.

As a second feature, VUDU needs to develop an iPod plugin interface. This won't achieve the level of iTunes integration that AppleTV can offer but it will at least give the indecisive people a reason to justify choosing VUDU instead.

(3) Extra Feature #2: Integration with Flickr
    It doesn't matter who VUDU integrates with, but they'll need a photos feature, too. Frankly, this can and should be basic for now. Just get it up so that people can use it and that AppleTV can stop claiming they're the only ones who can do it.

(4) Develop a User Interface that Obviates the Cable Subscription
    This last one is more of a medium-term/long-term position, but once in place will be a HUGE deal. VUDU needs to adjust their user interface so that everything we see today becomes the "Movies" section, but that we can alternate between "Movies" and "TV".

Movies can basically stay the way it is; it works great. But TV should be a special interface that breaks out shows by time of day, channel, most watched shows, most controversial (measured by number of comments posted in forums or something like that), etc. We should then be able to "subscribe" to certain TV shows and have them auto-downloaded once a day.

For example, I could get up in the morning, and just start watching the Today Show. It doesn't matter that it actually starts at 7am. It finished downloading by 5am and then the software "activated" it at 7am and I can start watching it.

VUDU will have to figure out how to deal with advertising. Personally, I think VUDU needs to advocate for context-sensitive links that email me information about products I see reviewed during or used on the show. VUDU can effectively try to usher in a new era of television viewing.

LIkewise, I should be able to watch "Live" TV like basketball games or American Idol. VUDU should compile this content for me and let me maintain something like "My Shows".

This would be so much better than the horrific excuse for a television solution we use today. I still can't believe how accustomed we all are to the "push" model of television with its forced advertising. It only ever makes sense for live TV. All other TV programming is much better equipped for a digital download.

Final Thoughts
    So, that's pretty much what the game is going to look like. Right now, only "innovators" (I'm using the term in the Geoffrey Moore sense) have purchased these devices right now, and the reality of AppleTV is that only Apple iTunes users will even consider purchasing AppleTV. But even early adopters haven't jumped on the bandwagon just yet.

But they will in the next 12 - 18 months, and when they do VUDU needs to be ready to explain why it's a better choice.

The decision will come down to the four dimensions I identified above, and if the consumer perceives a special value with VUDU they can't get anywhere else, the $60 difference in price won't matter, and +$1/movie for the rentals won't matter either.

Good luck, VUDU. I want you guys to succeed, but you've got a ways to go.

Josh

Re: My Thoughts on VUDU's Business Strategy

Isn't VUDU an evolving product? It's in it's infancy and will get better over time.

Comment

No offense Josh but your post comes off as being very pompous. Did you even read the forums before posting?

Comment

(2) Extra Feature #1: Streaming Music
        In the registration survey, VUDU asked us how much we care about streaming from Rhapsody Music Service. Whatever people actually wrote in their responses, this is the most important auxiliary feature VUDU can add. For $13/month, you can stream over 4.5 million songs. Wow.
        I can stream that many songs and more for no money a month. There's plenty of free internet radio stations out there so why force people to use a pay service?

The best thing to do would simply be to have Vudu support UPNP media servers. Then if you wish to use Rhapsody you can since Rhapsody on a PC can run as a UPNP server. But users can use any number of other UPNP servers then like Firefly, TVersity, etc. for both audio and video.

Your idea of tying the box specifically to a particular service makes that feature not so useful nor desirable.

Comment

i didnn't realize I still had to register my boxes. I figured they would get the info from my account and the boxes i activated through my account.

Comment

So where do i find this registration link? All i see is my account info(which I set up a couple of weeks before I actually got my VUDU)

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
              So where do i find this registration link? All i see is my account info(which I set up a couple of weeks before I actually got my VUDU)
              You know - I don't know. I know that it wasn't there when I activated my boxes. Perhaps it's something brand new. Perhaps Josh is a Vudu evangelist? Those people had a survey to fill out when registering for the program. However, I just checked my list of evangelist program participants and he's not on it so he either got added after the list was made or there's some new link/survey that you and I haven't seen...

Comment

I think there was a survey for me to fill out when I registered my box (back in October) but it was optional and I think it came via email after I had already been through the account set-up process online.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                  I can stream that many songs and more for no money a month. There's plenty of free internet radio stations out there so why force people to use a pay service?

The best thing to do would simply be to have Vudu support UPNP media servers. Then if you wish to use Rhapsody you can since Rhapsody on a PC can run as a UPNP server. But users can use any number of other UPNP servers then like Firefly, TVersity, etc. for both audio and video.

Your idea of tying the box specifically to a particular service makes that feature not so useful nor desirable.
                  I agree. Please do NOT tie Vudu to a pay service. This would spurn the people that left Netflix's monthly fee in the first place. There are plenty of free places online you can connect to. Vudu just needs to decide then create the GUI. Of course, that is easily done unless you are the actual one doing it. I use Slimdevices Squeezebox for my streaming music.

Comment

Maybe Josh's words were a little harsh but I think he meant well........ I agree with his comment in principal on differntiating the product and increasing the value proposition.

I like Vudu a lot and want to see them succeed. I realize there are people/executives on Vudu's payroll who's charge is to develop strategic direction but I am concerned about the competitors. The library build is something that must tireslessly be worked on to stay competitive and catch up to the alternatives. The interface is probably the best out of all the alternatives save some tweaks and refinements here and there. I just want to see:

1) external/additional storage
                    2) sharing between multiple boxes
                    3) ability to load purchased DVDs ( this is related to #2 above as well)

i assume #3 is not high on Vudu's list because it turns the box into a video server based on your own content rather than purchasing content from Vudu - while this is true to a point, i think there are still ways to drive revenue with rentals/purchases maybe by indexing the DVDs loaded onto the system and suggesting content from Vudu based on the personal library... i'm certain there are also other ways to still keep the revenue from rentals/purchases going that i haven't thought of.

i personally want that all in one box to put my home library on and rent or buy movies from to stop me from going to blockbuster.

RK

BTW - music would be nice - especially streaming rhapsody which i currently do through Sonos.

Comment

I already have several avenues to listen to streaming audio. I don't need another. I have my Media center PC, my Xbox 360s, My PS3, the FIOS music channels, my HDTiVos, my Denon receiver plays streamed music, and of course my Squeezeboxes. I use the Squeezeboxes 90% of the time with the other 10% used by my 360's.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                        I already have several avenues to listen to streaming audio. I don't need another. I have my Media center PC, my Xbox 360s, My PS3, the FIOS music channels, my HDTiVos, my Denon receiver plays streamed music, and of course my Squeezeboxes. I use the Squeezeboxes 90% of the time with the other 10% used by my 360's.
                        Ditto....

I use SONOS instead of Squeezebox.

My Directv receiver and my Sony portable media player do the same things for media streaming too.

I guess my new ATV does too, but don't really intend to use it for that.

I just want to see the high quality rental movies keep coming and hope the rental prices will drop eventually too. Those 2 things alone will make me a very happy camper.

Comment

Actually, I agree with OP in a general sense that Vudu, aside from building up the library (#1 goal) would be wise to add [real/perceived] value to the unit by becoming more of media extender device (I've posted about this before).

As Vudu becomes more mainstream, it will face competition from AppleTV and future Netflix box(es). Probably a lot of people who will be chosing between the three will not know all the ins & outs, so they may pass up on Vudu because it only does one thing compared to ATV (not to mention that Apple and Netflix have superior brand recognition).

Comment

Personally, I use Sonos for audio streaming and modded Xbox for video streaming (my own content). The only problem I have right now (and it's not a real problem) is I don't have the ability to stream HD content through my Xbox but once the port to Linux is complete I'll have that as well.

I think if Vudu were to try to provide personal content streaming then it could be a bit of a disaster. Let's face it - there are not many devices out there that do a halfway decent job of this. They either have a nice interface and very limited codec support or they have a horrible interface and decent codec support. Now if you told me that you could replicate something as slick at XBMC on the Vudu then I'd drool on it but this ain't gonna happen.

I'd MUCH rather them focus on the core functionality by continuing the build the library and focusing on enhancing the entire experience by adding external storage, allowing sharing between Vudus in the home, and by possibly adding the ability to burn owned movies for external playback.

I'm very happy with Vudu the way it is now but I think the database obviously needs to grow (including older hit titles from the past 15-20 years or so) and they need to allow sharing between boxes. If they did that I'd buy another one today.

Just my $.02

Comment

Originally posted by mebby View Post
                              I think if Vudu were to try to provide personal content streaming then it could be a bit of a disaster. Let's face it - there are not many devices out there that do a halfway decent job of this. They either have a nice interface and very limited codec support or they have a horrible interface and decent codec support. Now if you told me that you could replicate something as slick at XBMC on the Vudu then I'd drool on it but this ain't gonna happen...
                              Adding video playback would be the most difficult part due to all the different codecs and formats, but offering a music service support (or even audio playback) would seem to be an easier job. Photo functionality could be tricky because dedicated chips don't do resizing very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X