Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Gizmodo's Take on Vudu's HD Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gizmodo's Take on Vudu's HD Quality

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
    Now these pictures were not taken in pause mode which is also one of the reasons that everything looks so poorly. When viewing normally and not through a camera the text at the bottom of the radar screen is unreadable in SD. with the VUDU HD version it is clear and crisp while the Xbox 360 HD version is fairly clear but not as crisp.

The other two pics show the macoblocking in the Xbox Live HD version while there is none in the VUDU HD version.
    This is one of the main reasons I think VUDU is better than broadcast. You see macroblcoking all the time in TV shows and sporting events anytime you have fast pans, fast movement and bright flashes. Which is also one the reasons I bought an HDMI flea for my broadcast sources. It does s good job in masking alot of the minor macroblocking.
    Translation for the common man - Vudu rules - Xbox drools.

Comment

I've exchanged e-mails with Wilson from Gizmodo and I have asked him to further investigate his video settings.

He is using HDMI into a 1080p TV. However, he did not say if the TV was 1080p/24 compliant. He did say this which makes me scratch my head:

Of course I used HDMI. And I told your colleague that I was using a
      1080p set, but I will look into this issue which you bring up--which
      in truth sounds fishy. The capture method was a DSLR camera on a
      tripod in the same position and light for all three shots, though as I
      stated clearly in my original piece, the way Vudu pauses may have
      something to do with the stills. The viewing comparison I described
      was the most crucial element.
      What is fishy? I explained to him once more that Vudu does not support 1080p/60 and that it is possible that the Vudu therefore set the default resolution to 480p and that he needs to check this and set the resolution to 1080i if he does not have a 1080p/24 set.

His wife is due to have a baby any day and he doesn't want to come on here and discuss things. He says he plans on doing a more in depth review once the AppleTV HD is out and he'll compare all the formats.

If he needs to do a more in depth review, then the question in my mind is if he is actually questioning his results and methods...

Comment

The 1.2 software will fall back to 1080i if the TV's preferred format is 1080p/60.

Comment

Originally posted by VolkerS View Post
          The 1.2 software will fall back to 1080i if the TV's preferred format is 1080p/60.
          Isn't there the possibility that it might not be able to properly detect and fall back to 480p or what that fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
            Isn't there the possibility that it might not be able to properly detect and fall back to 480p or what that fixed?

I know when going through my Algolith HDMI flea it thinks 480P is preferred, even though it accepts a 1080P24 input. But I'm sur ethat is something with the Flea. If I connect it to my TV, receiver or VP50 pro it gives me all the resolution choices to 1080P but with the Flea my highest choice is 1080i.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              yes, there is a fix in 1.2 : if we detect1080p/60 as HDMI preferred we will always choose 1080i as TV preferred mode

Comment

Speaking of broadcast quality here is a good table of what DirectTV does with HD feeds for their service:

http://www.digitalcaffeine.com/directv/hd/

Too bad that DirectTV finds themselves bandwidth constrained and constantly changes bitrates based on programming demands.

Comment

Just want to say thanks to aaron for taking the time to post the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                    Speaking of broadcast quality here is a good table of what DirectTV does with HD feeds for their service:

http://www.digitalcaffeine.com/directv/hd/

Too bad that DirectTV finds themselves bandwidth constrained and constantly changes bitrates based on programming demands.
                    DTV's HD is referred to as HD-Lite. But they are launching a new satellite soon so maybe that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                      DTV's HD is referred to as HD-Lite. But they are launching a new satellite soon so maybe that will help.
                      It's still not going to be as good as BR or HD-DVD. You simply don't have the bandwidth per channel over any sort of RF link be it broadcast or satellite...Well, with satellite, the probably could get the bandwidth but then they'd need to back down on the number of channels offered.

Comment

Oh I know...I've been living with it for a while. But I can live with it until they have the bandwidth to get 1920x1080...

Comment

The term HD-Lite drives the Directv fanactics nuts-oid. (I'm not one)

They launched their new D10 Sat. last Aug and added 70 new HD channels with it. It's sister D11 has shipped from Boeing to the Sea Launch platform for a March launch.

Since I don't see that there are many more HD channels available in the market to add, it will be interesting to see what they do with the extra bandwidth.

Their VOD offerings are all sent to my Dvr via the internet. They currently have only 3 HD movies available via VOD. It would be interesting to know what quality they stream their Vod content in. I watched one of the movies awhile ago and I recall the quality to be pretty good. It took 2.5 hours to download it over my 4mb cable modem, but I was able to start watching the movie without interruption about 15 min. after the download started. I was happy with the nominal wait. It takes me that long to get snacks and make a drink.

Their VOD is advertised as "DOD Beta" , so not sure what other plans they have for Vod.

BTW Thanks RonV for the channel map. Haven't seen that one before.

Comment

The MPEG2 HD channels that DirecTV still has are "HD-lite." Their new MPEG4 HD channels, which are the majority of the HD that they carry are not lower resolution. They are full resolution. From the chart I posted you can see which ones are still MPEG2.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                              The MPEG2 HD channels that DirecTV still has are "HD-lite." Their new MPEG4 HD channels, which are the majority of the HD that they carry are not lower resolution. They are full resolution. From the chart I posted you can see which ones are still MPEG2.
                              This is not directed to DirecTV, but generally speaking it's been disappointing to see how slow the television is moving into the HD world. I perfectly understand that HD requires major investments and such, but -- darn it! -- after watching HD, it's hard to go back to SD...

And I am not the only one who feels this way because I've seen data that indicates that people watch some HD programming simply because it's in HD.

Comment

This is not directed to DirecTV, but generally speaking it's been disappointing to see how slow the television is moving into the HD world. I perfectly understand that HD requires major investments and such, but -- darn it! -- after watching HD, it's hard to go back to SD...

And I am not the only one who feels this way because I've seen data that indicates that people watch some HD programming simply because it's in HD.
                                This is 2008. There is tons of HD on now compared to 2001 when I first started watching HD. Although even then I watched shows like Alias and CSI in HD.

Comment

Working...
                                X