Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Captions or Subtitles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Captions or Subtitles?

Our only technical option are subtitles. We cannot support CC over HDMI (at least for 720P and higher resolutions). Technically CC is only defined for 480i over s-video and composite but most TV's typically also support CC over component for 480i and 480p.

One of the obstacles so far has been to actually get the subtitles for VOD content from the studios.

Comment

Thanks Volker...I knew you would come though with the technical reason and also reiterate that its up to the studios to provide the subtitles...I have been doing research myself and so far there is no "Industry Standard" for the synchronization of CC text with MP4 content.

Comment

Very good info. I would rather have subtitles than CC for movie viewing anyhow as it just tends to look better. It is something that would be nice to have...

Comment

Originally posted by VolkerS View Post
          Our only technical option are subtitles. We cannot support CC over HDMI (at least for 720P and higher resolutions). Technically CC is only defined for 480i over s-video and composite but most TV's typically also support CC over component for 480i and 480p.

One of the obstacles so far has been to actually get the subtitles for VOD content from the studios.
          Is this a Vudu limitation or in general? Because Moxi HD DVR supports CC and it outputs 720p over HDMI.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
            Is this a Vudu limitation or in general? Because Moxi HD DVR supports CC and it outputs 720p over HDMI.
            Again, as was clearly stated by Volker, the issue is getting the CC or subtitled source from the content providers. Additionally, we are talking about streaming MPEG-4/H.264 video here. So far only Apple has provided closed captioning on streamed content. There are some technical issues there as well, but one of the biggest is just getting it from the content providers.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              Again, as was clearly stated by Volker, the issue is getting the CC or subtitled source from the content providers. Additionally, we are talking about streaming MPEG-4/H.264 video here. So far only Apple has provided closed captioning on streamed content. There are some technical issues there as well, but one of the biggest is just getting it from the content providers.
              I apologize if I wasn't clear but my question wasn't about CC/subtitles in general, but about this specific portion of the quote: "We cannot support CC over HDMI (at least for 720P and higher resolutions)".

I found it interesting because the Moxi box I have does display closed captioning in 720p over HDMI (tried it with OTA HD-recorded "Pushing Daisies" a couple of days ago). Unless it was supposed to read that the TV's "CC" button wouldn't work which is true for Moxi as well. (you have to turn CC on/off in Moxi's menu).

I am not trying to start a commotion (like the one in the open source thread), just genuinely interested. And honestly, if I had a pick, I'd go with DVD-style subtitles because they look better, IMO.

In a perfect world -- disregarding limitations of streaming technology and source material -- it'd be great if Vudu could replicate physical media more closely and have multiple audio and subtitle options that DVDs have (for commentary, different audio modes, etc). Obviously, it is not as important as other items on the wish list (HD rentals, pretty please!), but we can dream, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                Unless it was supposed to read that the TV's "CC" button wouldn't work which is true for Moxi as well. (you have to turn CC on/off in Moxi's menu).
                Yes, this is exactly what I meant. CC is encoded text that is part of line 21 in ntsc and the TV is responsible for displaying the text. My definition of subtitles in this context simply was that we have to render the text on our box and cannot send CC data to the TV. We just need to get at the matching text (in whatever format: DVD subtitles, closed caption data, or in any other way that syncs the text with the video) in some form for VOD content. Then we will transcode this to an internal common format link it to the video content.

Comment

Originally posted by VolkerS View Post
                  Yes, this is exactly what I meant. CC is encoded text that is part of line 21 in ntsc and the TV is responsible for displaying the text. My definition of subtitles in this context simply was that we have to render the text on our box and cannot send CC data to the TV. We just need to get at the matching text (in whatever format: DVD subtitles, closed caption data, or in any other way that syncs the text with the video) in some form for VOD content. Then we will transcode this to an internal common format link it to the video content.
                  Thank you for your explanation!

Comment

Hi all,

Another hearing impaired person here. I'm genuinely interested in this.

VolkerS: Did the studios respond to your request for subtitles for VOD content? If yes, what did they say? I wonder if they will provide you the subtitles the same way they already are doing for Apple. Is cost involved? It shouldn't be since subtitles come standard on virtually all DVDs.

Subtitle availability is my main deciding factor between the Vudu and Apple TV. I'm still giving a little time (not a lot) for Vudu because it uses P2P and has larger video selections.

According to a 2005 journal, there are 10,000,000 hard-of-hearing people and 1,000,000 deaf people in USA. Add many more who are ESL (foreigners learning English). More consumers are switching from tangible DVD rentals to on-line rentals every day. Vudu may want to jump on the subtitle bandwagon before losing some consumers to AppleTV!

Just giving motivation I am Canadian, although it should be possible to register Vudu with a USA address, like many foreign people have done with Apple TV.

I don't have the exact numbers, but there are a few million hearing impaired people in Canada alone.

Thanks,
                    Mark & Ami

Comment

Originally posted by malone View Post
                      Just giving motivation I am Canadian, although it should be possible to register Vudu with a USA address, like many foreign people have done with Apple TV.
                      Your IP address is Canadian. Even if you "register" with a USA address, the box will still not work because your IP address will not be in the USA IP address pool. Therefore, the box will not work.

At present, Vudu is functional inside the USA only.

Comment

Interesting, I did not know Apple TV and Vudu does an IP check. Thanks for the heads up. That's stopping me from buying either!

I wonder how other countries manage to get their USA content with a USA account and address. Proxy server to mask IP address, perhaps? That can't be good for bandwidth.

Comment

Why would you not buy either because they check your IP? That's kinda silly since most people have IP addresses that change regularly...

For crying out loud, you gotta give both a credit card number. And you are worried about an IP?

Comment

Originally posted by malone View Post
                            Interesting, I did not know Apple TV and Vudu does an IP check. Thanks for the heads up. That's stopping me from buying either!

I wonder how other countries manage to get their USA content with a USA account and address. Proxy server to mask IP address, perhaps? That can't be good for bandwidth.
                            Well, they would need to either pirate it (), or have a license for that country/region from the US content owner.

Let's not get too involved in discussing how to circumvent licensing or encryption. Remember, VUDU has to make deals with the "content owners".

Comment

Why would you not buy either because they check your IP? That's kinda silly since most people have IP addresses that change regularly...

For crying out loud, you gotta give both a credit card number. And you are worried about an IP?
                              No, he's outside the US, so would be unable to get any US-only content from iTunes or Vudu due to his IP address being Canadian.

Comment

I guess we shouldn't mention the button presses.

Comment

Working...
                                X