Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Lack of HDX Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lack of HDX Movies

First some good news, the title asked after at the start of the tread (Knowing) is now available in HDX. If there was a license issue it seems to have been resolved. That said there still seems to be more of the catalogue disappointing to cable black outs than is being added weekly.

Comment

I just want to warn you all, I gave this 1.5 stars, and now I'm feeling that that was overly generous. It's not "The Happening" bad, but it's along those lines. It was only the visually stunning and gut-wrenching direction by Proyas that saved this movie from being on that level.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
        I just want to warn you all, I gave this 1.5 stars, and now I'm feeling that that was overly generous. It's not "The Happening" bad, but it's along those lines. It was only the visually stunning and gut-wrenching direction by Proyas that saved this movie from being on that level.
        I gave it 3 stars while I would have given The Happening 1 star. I thought there was no comparison between the two. "Knowing" wasn't particularly great but I found it to be entertaining enough to not regret watching it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
          Apple gives me no reason to buy an AppleTV as Vudu is a superior movie experience IMO (and has HDX) and ATV doesn't offer me any additional functionality I want. It would be PITA for me to have to use 2 boxes to comparatively shop for a movie every time. Also, since I have 5 Vudus, I really wouldn't want to buy and hookup 5 ATVs too. The convenience of having one box/service provides real value to me and is alone enough to justify the minor pricing difference. Now that being said, if the Vudu collection was markedly inferior, I'd probably switch to ATV. To each their own.
          Well yea if you have 5 vudu's you don't want to replace them. But the #1 reason to buy from ATV besides the vastly superior interface .. ARCHIVING. 100% of my purchases are stored on my 4TB NAS. I can watch them on my TV, any of my computers, my iphone etc. With Vudu you are stuck with whatever device you can hook the vudu to and I am sick of managing content manually one show at a time to make space for a new download. When I go to buy a new HDX i'm usually relegated to a good 10 mins of manually arching 10-12 tv shows to make room for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm here because I like vudu, HDX has no competitor. There just isn't enough of it right now and the disadvantages of Vudu (aforementioned lack of portability/storage) severely hampers the box compared to its competitor which is also cheaper for the box and cheaper per show.

Comment

Originally posted by Riekl View Post
            Well yea if you have 5 vudu's you don't want to replace them. But the #1 reason to buy from ATV besides the vastly superior interface .. ARCHIVING. 100% of my purchases are stored on my 4TB NAS. I can watch them on my TV, any of my computers, my iphone etc. With Vudu you are stuck with whatever device you can hook the vudu to and I am sick of managing content manually one show at a time to make space for a new download. When I go to buy a new HDX i'm usually relegated to a good 10 mins of manually arching 10-12 tv shows to make room for it.
            Well I can't comment first hand on the interface, not having an ATV, but my friend who has both thinks Vudu wins out there. So I think saying it's "vastly superior" may not be accurate. Now I agree that the archiving support would be nice but I would rather see 100% rentability. I would never purchase a movie if I could rent it. Even now, if I buy a movie because it isn't rentable, I delete it afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
              Well I can't comment first hand on the interface, not having an ATV, but my friend who has both thinks Vudu wins out there. So I think saying it's "vastly superior" may not be accurate. Now I agree that the archiving support would be nice but I would rather see 100% rentability. I would never purchase a movie if I could rent it. Even now, if I buy a movie because it isn't rentable, I delete it afterwards.
              Why would you do that ? Well with Vudu I can see why, you need the space. If you had an ATV you wouldnt give it a second thought. I have a library of movies I can watch any time and not have to worry about storage, for you renting everything everytime .. I think you are more the exception then the rule. I see a lot of complaints in these forums about Vudu's lack of any method of disk management.

I'm the exact opposite of you, I would rather buy any movie then rent it as the odds are great that over a 3+ year period I will watch a movie at least 2-3x and re-renting, re-downloading, re-paying doesn't appeal to me. The fact that I can watch them on my PC and iPhone as a travel is a huge bonus on top.

Both players have their benefits, HDX has no competitor, my Vudu is what is hooked to my 118" 1080p projector in my home theater not my Apple. But my Apple gets used 5-6x as much in the main room because it is more convienent, has a great deal more television content (about 20-30x more then Vudu), and I am more comfortable buying on it with the portability of the content.

Comment

Originally posted by Riekl View Post
                Why would you do that ? Well with Vudu I can see why, you need the space. If you had an ATV you wouldnt give it a second thought. I have a library of movies I can watch any time and not have to worry about storage, for you renting everything everytime .. I think you are more the exception then the rule. I see a lot of complaints in these forums about Vudu's lack of any method of disk management.

I'm the exact opposite of you, I would rather buy any movie then rent it as the odds are great that over a 3+ year period I will watch a movie at least 2-3x and re-renting, re-downloading, re-paying doesn't appeal to me. The fact that I can watch them on my PC and iPhone as a travel is a huge bonus on top.

Both players have their benefits, HDX has no competitor, my Vudu is what is hooked to my 118" 1080p projector in my home theater not my Apple. But my Apple gets used 5-6x as much in the main room because it is more convienent, has a great deal more television content (about 20-30x more then Vudu), and I am more comfortable buying on it with the portability of the content.
                I would do that because I have no desire to own movies. It's a money losing proposition for me. How do I know that? I have over 800 dvds and I can guarantee you that we didn't watch them nearly enough to justify the difference between rental and ownership cost. I'd say we are off by a factor of 10 to 100. Personally, watching a movie more than once is a rarity for me as it turns out that only exceptional movies can keep me interested past a first viewing. Almost all movies, even those that I really enjoy, can only capture my interest for a single viewing.

I looked at VOD (and Vudu in particular) as a way to never have to own another movie. If I can watch anything I want, whenever I want (I know this isn't really there yet), and pay a rental fee each time, I will have exactly what I want and will save money over what I was doing. I won't have to think about whether I will want to watch the movie enough to justify purchasing it, etc. I'd just rather pay the 3 to 6 bucks and watch it.

BTW, even if I had an ATV or Vudu added 100% archiving, it wouldn't change what I want to do. Now 100% rentability? That would get me jazzed.

Comment

There are some interesting thoughts and opinions in this thread: HDX vs. HD, rental, ownership, and portability. Personally, I am drawn to Vudu for two reasons HDX and spontaneity.

Perhaps I am in that small subset of users that places a great deal of emphasis on the best quality available, and have passed more than once on HD when I know that it is available on Bluray. Why would anyone be that particular?

Because watching a movie is my time: my time to escape, to wonder, and to think.

The importance of quality is directly related to (stealing a Basic Instinct line here) suspension of disbelief. I want to be immersed in the experience, and have taken the time and the money to have that available when I want it, in the home.

Apple may be more portable, but 720 is not 1080P/24 on large screen, and I never experience the same sensory elevation on a 24-inch computer screen or my iPhone. It may pass the time, but that is not why I watch films.

Netflix is a better deal financially, but it lacks spontaneity, and that is the magic of Vudu.

You are out at lunch and having a conversation and someone suggests a film. You pull out your iPhone while you are listening and a couple of clicks later you rejoin the conversation, simply saying, "Thank you for the suggestion, I just ordered it. I'll watch it tonight and get back to you?" That usually opens the door to the question of, "How did you do that?" and "What is Vudu?"

And that leads us to the concept of promoting and supporting HDX on Vudu. If people opt for lesser choices then the studio heads will never get it. And the evidence is they don't get it. The roll out and re-mastering of quality classic films will take longer, and the studios will not have the demand for quality, and favor quantity over investment and retooling. That would be a mistake, and something that I would prefer not to see.

The frustration with the Bluray catalog is bad enough and is just now being addressed in the fall release schedule. If anyone would have told me that it would take two years after purchase to start filling in the classics gap, I wound not have believed them.

So if quality is of importance to you, isn't it in your best interest to support Vudu and the HDX format?

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                    What do you think?
                    Nicely put!

Comment

Bravo! Exactly what I would say.
                      Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                      So if quality is of importance to you, isn't it in your best interest to support Vudu and the HDX format?

Comment

I think there is a bit of fanboyism going on here. Lets be rationale for a moment, discussion of the options is good for Vudu competition will only keep them striving to improve.

For someone like Redwine who has no intention of ever watching movies multiple times or having a collection of shows ready to go. The vudu is great.

The HDX is a noticeable improvement over HD (although the hard limit on download speed is REALLY annoying, you completely remove the instant watch benefit of the vudu with this !!).

The problems with Vudu are also pretty serious. There is no portability. If you want to watch your content on one tv, and one tv only great you are all set. In today's world that is very limiting. MOST of my viewing is done at the main set, but not all. Sometimes I may be traveling and want to watch a show on my laptop or iMac (which is really like a nice tv anyway). I keep several shows especially kids ones on my iphone for those 'keep the kids quiet while at doctor' type of situations. None of which is possible with Vudu.

Archiving is another huge problem. My vudu is full, there is nothing else I can do with it. I can't archive the content I have now so I either delete shows I paid for or don't buy anymore. What a bad design. With Apple you can basically have unlimited storage, my iTunes library is on a 3TB NAS.

It is very close minded for people to say 'hdx is all that matters' and ignore all the pitfalls of the design of the product. The vudu is what I use on my projection and show off to friends, but I hate that I can't instant watch HDX despite having a 25meg internet connection, I hate that I can't archive my shows and I hate that I have 0 portability. Oh and did i mention apple costs less per show and has far more tv content and an equivelent movie one ?

Vudu needs to address their shortcomings, HDX is not going to be enough to keep customers on its own, especially once they fill the hard drive and hit the brick wall.

Comment

Working...
                        X