Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Lack of HDX Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of HDX Movies

I'm pretty new to Vudu and like the HDX versions of the movies but I'm puzzled as to why they don't offer more. I thought that I'd rent the new movie "KNOWING" last night in HDX but it's only offed in HD.

I don't mind paying $5.99 for HDX but have a problem with paying $5.99 for HD when I can get HD on demand from my cable company for $4.99 with the same 24 hour viewing limitations. I may be missing something but it makes no sense to me.

Re: Lack of HDX Movies

Originally posted by brleni View Post
    I'm pretty new to Vudu and like the HDX versions of the movies but I'm puzzled as to why they don't offer more. I thought that I'd rent the new movie "KNOWING" last night in HDX but it's only offed in HD.

I don't mind paying $5.99 for HDX but have a problem with paying $5.99 for HD when I can get HD on demand from my cable company for $4.99 with the same 24 hour viewing limitations. I may be missing something but it makes no sense to me.
    My guess is they sell fewer HDX titles because of the extended download times so they try to guess which ones will sell in HDX format. But I couldn't say for sure. As far as pricing, Vudu's library tends to be more extensive than cable providers which is probably why the cost for some titles is a little higher. But, if you can get a specific title cheaper from your cable provider that is probably a good route to go.

Comment

Hi,

HDX titles are obtained via their own license. VUDU has to obtain separate licenses for each video quality tier (SD, HD, and HDX). If a title is only available in either SD or HD or in SD and HD but not in HDX, it is because we couldn't obtain licensing from the content provider. I hope that addresses your question.

Comment

Jimmy, I'm curious - do you know why a studio would not want to grant a HDX license when the HD version is up anyway? I mean it's just another 1080p MP4 encode at a high bitrate for the most part.

My understanding is Vudu handles the encoding so it cost them nothing to have the HDX option available as a sale or a rental (and generates more revenue, I'm sure).

I can understand them holding back HD versions altogether, it's the kind of backwards thinking we see all the time from studios who are trying to squeeze every last drop of blood out of the sell through disc market while they still can, but to license a HD version and then not allow the best possible quality encode that the delivery system allows is madness.

Comment

Yet another confirmation that the studios still don't get "it".

Comment

Originally posted by brleni View Post
            Who doesn't want to save money? I have rented movies and watched OnDemand channels several times from my cable company in HD. I actively dislike how streaming is handled by my local TWC provider.

Often the "service is not available" for some unknown reason. I cannot actually get to the movie scroll-list to select the movie!

If you pause the streaming for too long it quits the show/movie (perhaps to free up the stream). Restarting a streamed (ondemand) movie is also hit or miss. We have paused a movie, it has quit (reverted back to the ads), and we have attempted to restart it - no go! Of course if you were all geared up to enjoy a movie and find yourself frustrated because it cannot restart, "too bad" is what we hear from Customer Service (service.... really???).

Controlling a streaming movie is significantly harder than a movie downloaded. With the Vudu control, I can make fine-adjustments for the exact place in a movie I want to go to, return to, fast forward, and reverse; streaming provides none of this. For us, controlling a streaming movie is a jerky best guess activity. Streaming is so bad, my wife will go back to the beginning rather than try and get to a specific place in a streaming movie - she has no such problems with Vudu.

I am concerned about that extra buck or two... but the alternative is intolerable for us. We do not even respond to TWC movie discount coupons anymore.

FDuck.

Comment

Originally posted by FloatingDuck View Post
              I am concerned about that extra buck or two... but the alternative is intolerable for us. We do not even respond to TWC movie discount coupons anymore.

FDuck.
              I agree with everything you say about streaming etc. I'm kind of puzzled by this last statement though. On one hand you make a compelling case why you are getting something very worthwhile and extra real value for that extra buck or two, but then you say you are concerned about it. Doesn't it make sense that a superior product/experience would be worth more and thus command a higher price?

I feel that if people want to spend less for an inferior experience they have that right. In fact, that competition ultimately does keep prices across the whole spectrum in check as there are many that will invariably choose the cheaper solution simply because it is cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                I agree with everything you say about streaming etc. I'm kind of puzzled by this last statement though. On one hand you make a compelling case why you are getting something very worthwhile and extra real value for that extra buck or two, but then you say you are concerned about it. Doesn't it make sense that a superior product/experience would be worth more and thus command a higher price?

I feel that if people want to spend less for an inferior experience they have that right. In fact, that competition ultimately does keep prices across the whole spectrum in check as there are many that will invariably choose the cheaper solution simply because it is cheaper.
                I fully agree "you get what you pay for". We continue to pay that premium ourselves. Over a month we rent/buy about 15-20 movies on Vudu. This is significantly more than any other source. We still throw out those TWC "free" movie coupons... even though they would be the cheapest source of "new" movies.

I am just continuing to acknowledge/recognize that we are paying for something of value.

In an economy where money is very tight, every dollar can be perceived as important - even for a superior product. In the back of my head when I see the price of a movie I ask, "it is worth it" - it is an evaluative thought, not just an automatic "let's rent (or buy)".

From a competitive point-of-view, Vudu made the right decision to price their HDX the same as their HD movies, even though HDX is clearly a competitive improvement over HD. Vudu could have charged a premium for HDX, but did not. Not charging more for HDX likely won them more viewers and kept other viewers from moving to other (streaming) competitors.

When a movie is available on Vudu in SD and higher quality (HD or HDX), we still make a rental decision about whether the value is there for the improved viewing. We do not automatically rent the higher quality (yet). Similarly, we prefer HDX over HD, but make that decision based on need - "impulsiveness to watch" - do we need to watch now or later.

We would prefer to eat at Ted's for bison burgers, however, we still eat at Burger King every now and then.

Comment

VUDU is still my first choice for HDX. But lately several titles I watched were either not available on VUDU or were only available in SD. And for me SD is the absolutely last option. So I watched them in HD from the PS3 or Xbox360.

Comment

Licensing is far more complex than simply adding another encode. Remember that HDX competes fairly well with the quality of BR. So studios may not be as willing to license something that is nearly equal to the best physical media has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Erased View Post
                      Jimmy, I'm curious - do you know why a studio would not want to grant a HDX license when the HD version is up anyway? I mean it's just another 1080p MP4 encode at a high bitrate for the most part.
                      I'm sorry for replying so late. To be honest, I don't know what the reasons are for sure, and I'm hesitant to speculate. I can say that VUDU understands that HD and HDX is going to drive future growth so whenever we can, we will obtain the license to distribute them.

Comment

The first and last time I used ComCo$t PPV (which I'll admit was a while ago), it took 5-10 seconds for the box to respond to any navigation commands, and there was NO way to continue a movie where you had left off -- it started over if you exited the movie. You really would have to pay me much more than the price of a movie ticket to watch a movie that way.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                          The first and last time I used ComCo$t PPV (which I'll admit was a while ago), it took 5-10 seconds for the box to respond to any navigation commands, and there was NO way to continue a movie where you had left off -- it started over if you exited the movie. You really would have to pay me much more than the price of a movie ticket to watch a movie that way.
                          OK, if you agree to post a video on YouTube of you watching the movie (must include plenty of frustrated expressions), and you post a PayPal link, I'll put $10 towards you doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post

1 Word .. "AppleTV" available to everyone, same quality HD (HDX is obviously superior), similar size HD catalog, less expensive.

If it isn't available in HDX, I buy from Apple. Vudu gives me no reason to buy from them by charging more.

Comment

Originally posted by Riekl View Post
                              If it isn't available in HDX, I buy from Apple. Vudu gives me no reason to buy from them by charging more.
                              Apple gives me no reason to buy an AppleTV as Vudu is a superior movie experience IMO (and has HDX) and ATV doesn't offer me any additional functionality I want. It would be PITA for me to have to use 2 boxes to comparatively shop for a movie every time. Also, since I have 5 Vudus, I really wouldn't want to buy and hookup 5 ATVs too. The convenience of having one box/service provides real value to me and is alone enough to justify the minor pricing difference. Now that being said, if the Vudu collection was markedly inferior, I'd probably switch to ATV. To each their own.
                              Last edited by redwein; 08-09-2009, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X