Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Is it Possible to Share an Account Across Vudu Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it Possible to Share an Account Across Vudu Boxes

If I want to buy multiple Vudu boxes for the house (I would want 3), can they all share the same Vudu account. That is, if I purchase or rent a movie to watch on one box and I want to watch it on another, do I have to purchase or rent it again?

Re: Is it Possible to Share an Account Across Vudu Boxes

I am not sure. But it sounds like this scenario. You buy a DVD and make two copies and play them on different TV's. This is a violation of the copyright law. I do know that you can have multiple VUDU's on one account.

Unlike mirroring a satellite receiver or cable which are bound to different restrictions depending on contest my gut feeling would say no.

Hey VUDU guys this is a good questions....whats the word?

Comment

Actually, it's more like having two DVD players in your house and watching a DVD on one or the other, since in both cases the user would be paying for one copy that can be used in more than one place. If VUDU can find some way to keep the multiple units on one account from playing the same movie at the same time, that should satisfy any possible concern on the studio's part about losing money on people "double dipping". After all, this will be an issue that has to be dealt with when implementing portability anyway. But I'm not sure even that limitation is necessary, as you can watch a movie as many times as you want in the rental window, so I'm not sure it should matter if it's watched in two places at the same time if they're on the same account, but the studios aren't known for their reasonableness in this area.

Comment

Unfortunately, this is not a feature on the current VUDU box, and this is one of those sticky licensed content issues. The concept is a simple one: sharing an account across all boxes in a household. But there are some tough programming and usability issues. What happens when you take one of those boxes off the network? Do you limit the sharing to a certain network/subnet, or boxes owned by the same person? Do you limit the content to being stored on one box (server) and viewable on all clients (media extenders)? Or expand the available storage by three? And, as MaxH mentions, do you limit the viewing to one box at a time? In an ideal world the ownership of the content would be independent of the device it was played on, but until we can figure out how to tie a person/family to a piece of content (smart card perhaps?), that won't happen. Whatever the solution we go with, we've got to get the studios to buy into it. Rest assured it is on our radar, and an absolute must-have for the future of the product. The feature ahead of this one on the to-do list is expanded storage via USB disk, and you can imagine many of the same issues are relevant.

For now you can always unplug the box and hook it up to another TV. The movies already loaded on the box will be viewable regardless of Internet connection status. You'll want to remember to re-connect VUDU to the network to keep it up-to-date and your movie selection current.

Keep the feature requests coming guys, as we define new features and directions, we need your help to prioritize them.

Regards,

Keith

Comment

Keith,

Good reply. I like hearing stuff like that from Vudu staff members. Also, you might want to have Tin or Rich change your user title (not your name, but the title) to something to reflect you as Vudu staff on the forums...

Comment

I'm not sure if you guys know this but Keith IS the guy who's original designed led the creation of that very cool interface and remote control we are all now taking for granted as THE way to navigate around. ;o)

BTW. Welcome to the forum Keith!

Comment

What about doing something like Amazon.com Unbox does? It lets you download each movie onto 2 (but not more) Tivo boxes or computers. They must have worked out some licensing deals with the studios for that.

About the USB hard drive feature. Personally, I would rather not see that feature. Going that route means that I have to add capacity if they want to have any reasonable size collection and it assumes that they will always own the physical storage for the movies that they purchase. See my other thread "What Happens When You Run Out of Space" to see what I'm talking about. I already have 8 TB of movie storage capacity and I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't require me to add disks.

It makes more sense to me to make the hard drive on the Vudu box essentially just be a cache of your most recently watched movies. The ownership of the movie should be separate and you should be able to download it whenever you wanted to, as long as it was to a box that was licensed to view it. I really don't see any reason for every user to store every movie they purchase when doing what I suggest allows for unlimited size movie collections with no additional hardware. I would bet that every user would like the ability to have an unlimited movie collection without buying more hardware. They would probably buy more movies too if they didn't have to worry about storage capacity. I know I would.

Comment

redwein,

I agree with you totally. I have asked for this concept. There is no reason to store entire movies on your box. You only need portions on your box and everyone else's. Then when you need the movie, you assemble the chunks just like you did the first time.

The advantage to the studios here is that even if someone does figure out how to break Vudu's encryption code (and it likely WILL happen at some point), it will still be IMPOSSIBLE for them to copy the movie off the disk because the whole thing isn't there. It is the most secure method of content distribution there can be!

But from what I understand and have been told, this sort of model does not meet what the studios want and Vudu has to go that route.

I would ilke to see a way to keep entire movies on my box that I do want on their (for portability reasons) but other movies, don't need to fill up the drive if I rarely watch them...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who believes in this concept.

Comment

Or....as a future design some type of parent-child technology whereas a black box of some type hooks into other TV's in the house and is a child to the main VUDU system.

Comment

Right, vudu "extenders" or "thin clients" that can only serve content from the regular box across a LAN would be a neat idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X