Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU on Clearance at Best Buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VUDU on Clearance at Best Buy???

I bought a VUDU (Finally!!!!) But I noticed they were on clearance at two of the Best Buy stores I went to in San Diego county.

Anyone know why?

Re: VUDU on Clearance at Best Buy???

Originally posted by pforte2003 View Post
    I bought a VUDU (Finally!!!!) But I noticed they were on clearance at two of the Best Buy stores I went to in San Diego county.

Anyone know why?
    I would like to know why this is also. I am a previous Vudu owner, and am thinking about returning. If I'm going to return I'd like to buyt the current hardware?

Comment

If you need a Blu-ray player I would suggest looking into LG's BD390 player since it is compatible with Vudu service. Instant streaming of HDX. Awesome audio (DD+). I read a report that Vudu was moving away from making hardware but I suspect they will support whatever you buy.

Comment

Chrys,

The LG BD390 is an good alternative for the standard VUDU box, however, I'd just like to stress that it's simply another avenue for market penetration. It's not intended to replace the VUDU box.

VUDU is committed to providing on going support for the set top box as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyh View Post
          VUDU is committed to providing on going support for the set top box as well.
          I'm not trying to be cynical but if Vudu is still committed to supporting the set top box then why are new features being added to everything but the set top box?

Comment

I would look at it this way. You have a development staff that is working on migrating to a new platform. In the middle of the migration you have the business decide to incorpate new features. Would you stop devleoping for the new platform and open the code to exisitng platform or would you finish the new platform with the features and then update the exisitng platform?

Its a tricky balance in the technology business to decide which goes where first. I am sure that now that VUDU has released the embedded market that they are working on bringing features into their set top box.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
              I am sure that now that VUDU has released the embedded market that they are working on bringing features into their set top box.
              Well, it would be nice to hear that from them.

Comment

I would look at it this way. You have a development staff that is working on migrating to a new platform. In the middle of the migration you have the business decide to incorpate new features. Would you stop devleoping for the new platform and open the code to exisitng platform or would you finish the new platform with the features and then update the exisitng platform?

Its a tricky balance in the technology business to decide which goes where first. I am sure that now that VUDU has released the embedded market that they are working on bringing features into their set top box.
                You make a good point but I think a better solution would be to not roll out any changes until they can be rolled out on both devices.

But you realize my fear right? Without further word from Vudu, and seeing as how this is the second new feature set not yet supported on the Set Top Box, AND coupled with the fact that the set top box is mysteriously missing from the Vudu store and any brick and mortar stores... it certainly smells an awful lot like the set top box is being phased out. And if that's the case, then ALL the people that bought the boxes early on and helped spread the word to get Vudu going are now left out on the cold.

It's not a huge deal but when Vudu is playing deaf it just feels like someone is throwing salt on the wounds. If they just came out and told me that there are phasing it out and that I should buy an LG BluRay player if I want the new features, while I wouldn't be thrilled at least I'd know.

Comment

It would be nice to HEAR something from them on this.

I may just return the box and either wait for something else or just keep renting from Netflix.

I would like to know if I bought a soon to be unsupported item.

Sucks though because I REALLY like it.

Comment

I would look at it a different way. I would be sure not to leave the customers who were early adopters of my product - and who dropped $300 each on a set top box - in a position where they felt abandoned. I would give them equal priority.

No hdx trailers, no rotten tomatos, stb's no longer available on line, and now Best Buy is selling them as a clearance item.

uncool - no matter what way you look at it.

Comment

I was just at Best Buy purchasing a new Samsung LCD a couple weeks ago. I told them I had a Vudu and the two sales guys I was talking to both told me how awesome they thought the product was. I hadn't seen any at this particular store in a while and so I asked them about it. They told me that as far as they knew, that Best Buy was still carrying and was going to carry the box. They did say it had been very popular a while back but recently was not as popular.

So I'm not sure what the deal is but I don't see them promoted they way they used to be at Best Buy. It is troubling.

Comment

I agree, it would be nice if VUDU was upfront about the future of their boxes. It's pretty clear by their actions what's going on though.

You just have to wonder about the future of this company. The boxes are for practical purposes non existent. VUDU is only available on a very very limited number of internet enabled devices.

Perhaps they're working on a new box that would only stream movies in the same way the HDTVs and blu-ray player (as in one singular blu-ray model) do.

I want this company to succeed or at least someone else to provide near blu-ray quality with movies.

Comment

I'm not concerned with the BB Clearance. We can all see with Brazil that they are updating our units.

As for Best Buy. They need to carry what is selling. That something is VuDu built into the Blue Ray.

I think people are at BB and they are going to buy a TV and a Blue Ray. They see VuDu sitting there. Then they see that they can get VuDu or Netflix through the Blue Ray. The easy answer is go with the Blue Ray.

People on this site have a broader vision. If I can help it, I will never buy physical media again.

99% of the people I know are still in the "buy a dvd" state of mind.

For me, I like the idea that I can purchase if I choose to. This is still a rather imature market. Thus the reason why it is difficult to buy or rent any movie.

The problem with BB is education. Those reps really need to be educated by VuDu on the idea of electronic ownership. Because they are not, the easy decision is Blue Ray not STB.

The thing that can be unsettling is NetFlix. People are getting excited that they can rent a NetFlix from their Blue Ray. They have never heard of VuDu.

How long until Netflix comes out with their STB? Will VuDu adopt better watching time frames?

This is a big time battle that they are in. Hopefully they will learn from what has occured at BB and start marketing VuDu. As well they need to broaden the STB to create bigger differentiators between them and the competition (Netflix and Apple). If they don't who knows what will happen.

The net here is that VuDu rocks. I will cheer them on.

Comment

Originally posted by GotVuDu View Post
                            The net here is that VuDu rocks. I will cheer them on.
                            I agree with you... but it's Vudu, not VuDu. Sorry... I know it's petty but that was bugging me.

Comment

I know Vudu plans on intergating their software more. BUT, the STB is an awesome tool. I have no intention of getting a BluRay player. I mean why would I, if I hve a Vudu that does HDX?

That is why Vudu needs to educate and promote more. HDX = BluRay quality

We are at the beginning of the new digital revolution abd Vudu can take the lead.

Comment

Working...
                              X