Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Instant streaming of HDX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant streaming of HDX

I have been waiting for a post saying it has happened. So far all I have read was they were working on it. But on a post talking about the integrated LG Bluray player with Vudu, it sounds like it is a done deal.
    I will admit I have not been using my Vudu much because I would rather buy or rent a Bluray disc instead of waiting for the HDX to download.
    If on the chance this is now working, I will again start to rent from VUDU.
    So, anyone able to confirm. I am sure I can go home tonight and give it a test. But I am at work and would love to know.

Thanks all

Re: Instant streaming of HDX

Yes HDX instantly streams; however, I believe instant streaming is only available on the newly supported devices, ie LG BD390 player and some HDTV's. I sub to Vudu via the BD390 player and it is awesome - great sound (DD+) and HD video. I would rate it better than DVD but not as good as blu-ray but close.

Comment

Why don't they add instant streaming to the original VUDU boxes? You would think it would be capable of this.

Comment

I for one hope that VUDU does indeed add this to the existing STBs. It's possible that they want to manage the load (this avenue isn't P2P, so their serveres have to support all the bandwidth for every streamed movie), and in doing so roll this out to the LG players and then firmware upgrade the STBs later. Since it gives you the ability to watch HDX without any delay, it's a very attractive feature to have. I have, on multiple occasions, passed up a rental simply because I didn't want to wait and I prefer to only watch HDX encodings.

Jeff

Comment

This is accomplished on the TVs by scaling the quality of the stream in accordance to the users bandwidth (most streams will work this way, Netflix for example do the same).

It would be a good feature to have as you could select HDX -> Watch Now and if your connection is over 4Mbsp you would get something between regular Vudu HD and fully buffered HDX.

The option to buffer the HDX and wait for the full (max quality) download should be retained however. This would still be the default choice for those who often queue up HDX downloads remotely (via the website or iPhone app).

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Erased View Post
            The option to buffer the HDX and wait for the full (max quality) download should be retained however. This would still be the default choice for those who often queue up HDX downloads remotely (via the website or iPhone app).
            Agreed about leaving the user the option. Beyond a quality difference, streaming is automatically a watch now (starting the 24hr clock) while the download gives you the option to start it later (of course you have to wait to start it, but say a case where you want to watch it sometime within the 30 day window).

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by rgbyhkr View Post
              I for one hope that VUDU does indeed add this to the existing STBs. It's possible that they want to manage the load (this avenue isn't P2P, so their serveres have to support all the bandwidth for every streamed movie), and in doing so roll this out to the LG players and then firmware upgrade the STBs later. Since it gives you the ability to watch HDX without any delay, it's a very attractive feature to have. I have, on multiple occasions, passed up a rental simply because I didn't want to wait and I prefer to only watch HDX encodings.

Jeff
              we didn't get the hdx trailers or the rotten tomatos either. I feel somewhat abandoned.

Comment

Hi All,

We certainly understand the concern you feel as you see features on other devices that your VUDU-box doesn?t currently support. However, we want to assure you that set top box owners will not be left on the way side. At VUDU, we are very excited about the new features we've released and that we are working on. We will be communicating more on this topic shortly,so please stay tuned and thank you for your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by raaurora View Post
                  we didn't get the hdx trailers or the rotten tomatos either. I feel somewhat abandoned.
                  Keep in mind that they didn't get Vudu Labs so it's not like the grass is completely greener over there.

Comment

Yeah, but Vudu labs hasn't been updated in ages...

-John
                    John - 0x36d3
                    "If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman
                    Pleas support me in Tour de Cure: [url]http://main.diabetes.org/goto/John.Reddersen[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                      Keep in mind that they didn't get Vudu Labs so it's not like the grass is completely greener over there.
                      I don't see that as a fair comparison. Vudu Labs is not the core capability of the product. I bought my Vudu to watch movies, the labs are just a fun sideshow.

The features introduced to the core service need to be delivered to the set top box owners too.

Comment

I agree, but there's a significant difference between the way that the new systems stream and the P2P set top boxes work. From my understanding, managing the P2P system to support the higher streaming rate is a significant undertaking. To double your rate, you need to either double your peers or double your data rate at each peer.

On the "new" side, everything is streamed form a central CDN. So if the CDN has the bandwidth, then you do to. If the CDN were to get overloaded, then you might suffer. Maybe it's not likely but it's possible. Still, it's very easy to manage the bandwidth coming from one spot as opposed to many.

Having used both systems, there are things I like in each. I generally prefer the user experience in the P2P STBs though. Much easier, IMHO to navigate through movies.

What would make perhaps the most sense is for Vudu to have a combo CDN/P2P or CDN only streaming for HDX movies on the STBs. Then it could be rolled out to all users equally.

OK, wow. I haven't been on the forums in a while. I gotta go catch up...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyh View Post
                          Hi All,

We certainly understand the concern you feel as you see features on other devices that your VUDU-box doesn?t currently support. However, we want to assure you that set top box owners will not be left on the way side. At VUDU, we are very excited about the new features we've released and that we are working on. We will be communicating more on this topic shortly,so please stay tuned and thank you for your patience.
                          Am i correct in assuming that HDMI 1.1 in the Vudu box prohibits streaming of DD+?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

As you can see HDMI 1.1 does not allow TrueHD and DSD/SACD, so you may provide all the support you want, there will be no DD+(sister of TrueHD) streaming from the BX100 ever because it is a hardware limitation.

Prove me wrong please! Oh i wish you did, but this and lack of instant HDX result in logical hardware purchase and new ebay listing

Comment

Originally posted by bobpaule View Post
                            ...and lack of instant HDX result in logical hardware purchase and new ebay listing
                            Well there is a public beta (see other thread) that lets you participate in the process for bringing instant HDX to the STBs. So that should take away one reason for selling your box.

Comment

there is no way they could correct bitstremaing of DD+. It would be a hardware limitation. If the VUDU boxes have HDMI 1.1 it is not able to bit stream the advanced codecs.

But even with that hardware limittation, the fact they they will be implementing streaming on the original VUDU shows their continued support for it. The VUDU box has been greatly improved with new features of the last couple of years.

They have done alot with the current hardware, but there are limitations to any hardware design.

I have been extremely pleased with their support of the original VUDU box.
                              I will continue to use my three original VUDU boxes and my LG BD390.

Comment

Working...
                              X