Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

ISP Limits on Download Bandwidth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISP Limits on Download Bandwidth

I have an issue that I was wondering is unique to my Internet Service Provider (which happens to be PenTeleData through Service Electric Cable Company in Pennsylvania.)

I've figured based on the capacity of the 250gb HD of 50 movies, that they are about a 5gb filesize each. That's just the filesize on the HD, not even considering packet overhead for the transfer of the file.

So 10 movies would be about 50gb.

The last time I went over 50gb in one month download bandwidth, my ISP threatened to transfer my Residential account to a Business account (at 3 times the cost per month) if I did it again.

I can watch 10 movies in a week, let alone a month, so all these wonderful internet based downloadable features remain out of my reach because my ISP is stingy on bandwidth (the old "Fair Use Policy")

Does everyone have an ISP like this? Are these bandwidth limits the general limits for other ISP's? When will the cable companies realize that the days of tiny downloads are over and that people have reason to download gigs of data on a regular basis?

I just wanted to know if there are others out there afraid they won't get their money's worth out of a service like Vudu because they'll have to meter their 'unlimited' downloads based on ISP imposed limits before I go back to my cable company and start a whole lot of trouble with them for being in the cyber stone age with their Fair Use policies or I consider switching to any other provider. My choices are limited because I live in a very rural area. We just got two-way cable broadband last July!! I guess they figure I should be thankful for what I get.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any replies.

Re: ISP Limits on Download Bandwidth

Many of the wireless and satellite vendors have bandwidth limitations that I am aware of. Here is a list of ISP you should stay away from.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php...tes_of_America

Also Comcast has a limit which they will deny exists, but many have received letters in regards to bandwidth utilization:
    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...t-custome.html

If I were you I would find a ISP that has a better fair use policy. Currently I download about 170 Gig per month and AT&T DSL has yet to complain...

Comment

I don't know the answer to your question. But a few things I can correct.

Our movies are in the <1GB to 2GB size, not 5GB. When HD become available, the size will be larger, I don't know the average size at this time.

I would hope that ISPs find a better way to manage their traffic than using these download size restrictions. It's short sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by TinL View Post
        Our movies are in the <1GB to 2GB size, not 5GB. When HD become available, the size will be larger, I don't know the average size at this time.
        That's interesting. The size of the average .mpg file on a DVD is 3 to 5 GB. Are the movies less than DVD quality?

Comment

I can say from personal experiance that the movie quality is excellent. When I watched "300" and the quality was equal to my DVD copy...

The movie's quality is dependent on the source material provided by the studio.

Comment

I'll accept that the quality is good. I should be able to verify that myself if my box comes this week. It would still be good to know if they are using some trick to make it as good as DVD quality or if it really isn't. If file sizes are really 1/3 of the file size on the DVD it means either the format is more compact but not more lossless or that there is less infomation which needs to have some impact on video or audio quality. I don't see any other explanation.

It makes sense to at least ask the question since they are talking about supporting HD movies. It is my understanding that HD movies can be in the vicinity of 25GB/movie. If the current movies are not DVD quality then I would suspect that the HD movies aren't HD quality either. Either way, I would like to know.

Comment

DVD's use MPEG-2 for compression which was the best compression you could get back when DVD's first came out without requiring a lot of CPU for decompression. Its not lossless compression and neither is a high definition DVD lossless.

Now its about 10 years later and compression has improved considerably. VUDU uses a proprietary compression of video from studio source material. All I can say is that it is DVD quality based on what I have seen.

This leads to a question of what would qualify has a high definition quality? If you look at Cable and Satellite presentation of high definition programming you can get better high definition off the airwaves. These sources are sometimes over compressed.

Both HD formats use H.264 which is commonly known as MPEG-4. With decent high definition source material you should be able to get it down to 1/3 the size and still preserve the video quality. Again its back to the quality of the source material and how much compression is acceptable before artifacts are introduced and the viewing experience is degraded.

You may want to look at this WIKI for the levels of H.264 and compare the data rates agains compression components for a better idea of how this works...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

Comment

Thanks for the response. That's what I was looking for. I'm confident that I won't be able to detect any difference between DVDs and Vudu movies, which is good. I understand what you mean about the differeing levels of "HD" as well. I currently have HD on both satellite and cable and I'm sure it isn't as "HD" as over the airwaves, but I accept it as HD. The same thing would apply here. The movies may be HD, meaning much better than DVD, but they still might not be as amazing as a Blu-Ray disk being played. But the trade off of being able to get it off the net will be worth it.

Any idea on how much the increased size of the Vudu HD movies will impact the wait time to start a movie playing?

Comment

I think we'll find the HD movie file sizes to be about 2X the SD counterpart (can't remember wher I gleaned this one).

Comment

I have been playing with this box since I received it on Friday and I can tell you the playback is indistinguishable from a dvd. Video playback was a concern for me, but after seeing the video quality I am happy. And this is watching the movie on a 110" screen.

Visit the 5 Star Cinema

Ken

Comment

Ken,

I swear, when they release the HD stuff to the public users it's going to knock your socks off. All I can tell you is that the HD stuff I've seen on my Vudu was some of the best video quality I've ever seen on my projection setup (similar to yours).

Comment

Wow Ken! Thanks for the update, that's absolutely amazing.

Originally posted by kmulder View Post
                        I have been playing with this box since I received it on Friday and I can tell you the playback is indistinguishable from a dvd. Video playback was a concern for me, but after seeing the video quality I am happy. And this is watching the movie on a 110" screen.

Visit the 5 Star Cinema

Ken
                        --------------
                        Adam Hirsch
                        www.adamahirsch.com
                        www.thefattytalks.com

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                          That's interesting. The size of the average .mpg file on a DVD is 3 to 5 GB. Are the movies less than DVD quality?
                          Not at all. I am not telling you anything that is not already public. Yes, we use H.264 compression. The size depends on a number of factors: length of source material, quality of source, type (action, static, etc.) and so on.

You will find that the quality is at least DVD or better for source that started at same level.

Comment

Working...
                          X