Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VUDU NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME

I have an LG 570 which I purchased specifically to have access to VUDU. I've had the unit for about 1 month. I, along with many others, have had problems with streaming at all quality levels, SD, HD, HDX. I have Comcast 16mbps. I have repeatedly tested and verfiied the speed. I have tried all of the fixes and none have improved VUDU's performance on my LG 570. I do not have any problems with any other service-e.g. Netflix, Pandora, Roxio, etc. I find that the streaming problem is most acute during prime time. (6:00pm to 11:00pm) My suspicion is that VUDU does not have the equipment - servers, storage, etc. to satisfy the demand at prime time.

With Walmart's acquisition of the company, my hope is Walmart will make a substantial investment in equipment and infrastructure to accomidate what is likely to be a substantial increase in demand as consumers purchase LG, Samsung, & other TVs and BR players with VUDU access. If Walmart fails to do this, it is likely VUDU will fade quickly from the scene.

I would appreciate serious discussion and detailed comments from VUDU's technical staff regarding this. Thanks, Kerry

Re: VUDU NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME

If you are having the streaming issue withing a particular time frame it may be congestion by the ISP.

If you run the VUDU speed test while not using the internet during that time frame what are your results?

If you run a speed test when the streaming problems are happening what are your results?

Here is the link to the VUDU speed test:
    http://speedtest.vudu.com/cdn1/

Comment

Originally posted by lglmoris@nm.net View Post
      I have an LG 570 which I purchased specifically to have access to VUDU. I've had the unit for about 1 month. I, along with many others, have had problems with streaming at all quality levels, SD, HD, HDX. I have Comcast 16mbps. I have repeatedly tested and verfiied the speed. I have tried all of the fixes and none have improved VUDU's performance on my LG 570. I do not have any problems with any other service-e.g. Netflix, Pandora, Roxio, etc. I find that the streaming problem is most acute during prime time. (6:00pm to 11:00pm) My suspicion is that VUDU does not have the equipment - servers, storage, etc. to satisfy the demand at prime time.

With Walmart's acquisition of the company, my hope is Walmart will make a substantial investment in equipment and infrastructure to accomidate what is likely to be a substantial increase in demand as consumers purchase LG, Samsung, & other TVs and BR players with VUDU access. If Walmart fails to do this, it is likely VUDU will fade quickly from the scene.

I would appreciate serious discussion and detailed comments from VUDU's technical staff regarding this. Thanks, Kerry
      Kerry --

Like RonV mentioned, if this is occurring during prime time hours, it could be that your bandwidth is being fluctuated by your ISP. This is especially popular with cable companies like Comcast as you are basically sharing the same bandwidth pipe as your neighbors, thus limiting the amount of bandwidth available to you during peak hours, even though you are paying for a 12 Mbps connection.

Run the speed test suggested by Ron during peak hours and post your results. I'm also going to ask you to run a trace route on your network to our servers, I'll send instructions in a private message so please check your inbox.

Comment

I said serious discussion. It's not the bandwith, it's VUDU's issue. As stated, I have run all of the tests, including VUDU's at the relevant times. Never is my speed less than 6mbps. I have also changed DNS. etc. Be honest, VUDU just dosen't have the plant and equipment to do the job. Kerry

Comment

I will try the trace route once I receive the email. Kerry

Comment

I will try the trace route once I receive the email. Kerry
            I have sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

Comment

I said serious discussion. It's not the bandwith, it's VUDU's issue. As stated, I have run all of the tests, including VUDU's at the relevant times. Never is my speed less than 6mbps. I have also changed DNS. etc. Be honest, VUDU just dosen't have the plant and equipment to do the job. Kerry
              If it was VUDUs issue wouldn't everyone have problems? I have no problems 24/7 with my FiOS connection. I can have three concurrent HDX streams with my VUDU devices with no issues on my FiOS 35mbs connection.

Comment

The idea of blaming the ISP is just not reasonable. Why no problem with Netflix? After dozens of movies, many in HD-720p with no problems, I say it's Vudu's problem. What say you Vudu?
                The fact that some people don't have any problems may have to do with how their ISP connects to VUDU's servers. So what. I'm no expert, just a potential customer, like millions of others. And, to force the average citizen to fool with changing this and that in their internet setup is just plain silly. We won't do it, unless there's a much bigger payoff than merely the ability to pay Vudu to stream movies. What say you Vudu? Without a real solution for the average folks buying TV's & Blu-ray players with Vudu access, notwithstanding Walmart, Vudu is history. What say you Vudu: is it my problem or yours? Kerry

Comment

The idea of blaming the ISP is just not reasonable. Why no problem with Netflix? After dozens of movies, many in HD-720p with no problems, I say it's Vudu's problem. What say you Vudu?
                  The fact that some people don't have any problems may have to do with how their ISP connects to VUDU's servers. So what. I'm no expert, just a potential customer, like millions of others. And, to force the average citizen to fool with changing this and that in their internet setup is just plain silly. We won't do it, unless there's a much bigger payoff than merely the ability to pay Vudu to stream movies. What say you Vudu? Without a real solution for the average folks buying TV's & Blu-ray players with Vudu access, notwithstanding Walmart, Vudu is history. What say you Vudu: is it my problem or yours? Kerry
                  I can understand your frustration with not getting your VUDU to stream sufficiently and do not expect you to know what to change on your network without our help, which is why we are here. However, without details on your network information (i.e. trace route results) we really can't determine whose fault it is and how to fix it. If you would prefer to troubleshoot this issue over the phone, respond to the private message I sent you and leave me the best number and time to contact you.

Also, keep in mind that Netflix streams at a lot lower bit rate, requiring less bandwidth out of your network than what VUDU requires.

Comment

AdamS: How do you know netflix streams at a lower rate for their HD? Are you familar with their internal systems? If yes, specifically, how do they compare with vudu's. Please provide extensive details and comparisons and how you have come to know this information. e.g. are the SD stream rates the same; are the HD stream rates the same? If not, how do they differ. i.e. what are the technical differences. e.g. compression, bit rates, etc. Do Netflix and Vudu have servers in one local or many? If your going to speculate, don't, only reply with information you know first hand. I believe everyone wants vudu to provide honest answers, not blame, or false or misleading comparisons. Thanks, Kerry

Comment

AdamS: How do you know netflix streams at a lower rate for their HD? Are you familar with their internal systems? If yes, specifically, how do they compare with vudu's. Please provide extensive details and comparisons and how you have come to know this information. e.g. are the SD stream rates the same; are the HD stream rates the same? If not, how do they differ. i.e. what are the technical differences. e.g. compression, bit rates, etc. Do Netflix and Vudu have servers in one local or many? If your going to speculate, don't, only reply with information you know first hand. I believe everyone wants vudu to provide honest answers, not blame, or false or misleading comparisons. Thanks, Kerry
                      Here is a blurb on Gizmodo:

http://gizmodo.com/5093323/the-tech-...flix-streaming

Netflix streams at from 2.6 Mbps to 3.8 Mbps. Vudu's HDX ranges from 9 Mbps to 20 Mbps. I don't know the rates for HD and SD specifically.

Before you bite my head off for not being from Vudu, not providing complete information, or not providing "serious discussion", I would remind you that this is a public forum and members are free to chime when they think they have helpful information. If you don't find it helpful/useful, just ignore it, simple as that.

Comment

Unless things have changed recently Netflix only offers stereo sound on it's HD streams. It's apples and oranges.

Comment

Redwein & JamesS: Thanks for the imput. I agree HDX is the best quality streaming video todate. But, it's not Blu-Ray and it is too unreliable for me to consider spending $5-$10 on. On the other hand, Netflix HD is very good and maybe comparable to Vudu HD (w/o Dolby). You probably know that many of Vudu's offerings are streamed in either SD or HD on Netflix at no addditional cost. And, I've never had a streaming problem.
                          The folks at Vudu don't appear to be concerned about me and others in my situation. If Vudu has reliable data that Comcast is playing games with bit rates or is misleading, then they need to prove it. I am an attorney and I will pursue Comcast legally, if Vudu/Walmart will provide expert witnesses and data to support the contention that Comcast is acting illegaly. Senior management at Vudu need to reply, if they are interested in the future of their company. It is only a matter of time before Neflix offers comparable HDX streaming. Given Netflix's business model, Vudu is toast. What say you Vudu?

Comment

Do you live on the east or west coast?

Comment

Neither, I live in Albuquerque, NM. Comcast and Qwest(DSL) are the primary providers for residential internet service. Unfortunately, Qwest only provides 1.5mbps in my neighborhood or I would consider switching. Kerry

Comment

Working...
                              X