Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Trouble streaming an SD movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble streaming an SD movie

I have an LG BD590 blu-ray player and have used it for VUDU before with NO issue. I stream Netflix and Pandora without issue also. I have tried HD and HDX before when I first got my player and no issue. Late this afternoon my wife wanted to watch The Shining (standard, not HD or HDX) after finishing the book. Right from the start there were buffering issues every few seconds. I stopped the film for a bit and tried to resume playing. It played fine for about 5 mins or so and then buffered again finally saying "cannot stream movie at this time do to network issues". I was disgusted so I contacted VUDU and the person I spoke with sent me an email to download a google namebench and of course, after downloading it wouldn't let it exicute or install. So I called back and they said they would look into my issue. I have Comcast highspeed internet and a Netgear wirless n dualband gigabit router (wndr 3700). Does anyone have any info on what may be happening? I also have other things hooked up wirelessly but nothing else was running except my BD590. If anyone from VUDU reads this my case # is 63809. The person I spoke to said he would credit me the cost of the movie. Worst VUDU viewing experience yet. Thank you.

*SD takes a bare minimum of 1000kbps and I am running at speedtest.net (23.18mbps download and 9.56mbps upload) when I did the vudu speedtest I was at a little over 1400kbps....why??

Re: Trouble streaming an SD movie

The magic of routing over the internet. Some times internet routing tables don't always send the traffic via the most direct route. Some times a route is busy and then traffic is routed via secondary routes, maintenance etc. Some times there is just saturation and no alternative route.

Namebench is a great tool to determine if you have DNS latency/stale entries which also can cause streaming issues.

I would say to try running the VUDU speed test a few random times over the next day to see if there may be time of day congestion issue with your ISP. Comcast uses shared infrastructure and depending on where you are located on their network you could be sharing all that bandwidth with the neighborhood.

Comment

Ron, Just ran a speedtest now at vudu at 9:25am and my results were (25037kbps-25mbps and my upload was 7672-7.7mbps) that is a "significant" loss of speed on a Sunday afternoon, although my tests at speedtest.net was normal yesterday and my results for the vudu test were extremely low. I don't understand, shouldn't my regular speedtest have shown slower speeds also??

Comment

Also, if you're trying to stream over wireless, any neighbor with a wireless phone or access point could be causing issues. What channel are you using? Have you tried changing it? Are you running the speed tests over a wired or wireless connection? If the latter, when you get a slow result on the speed test try running it on a wired desktop at the same time if you can. Streaming video is VERY sensitive to momentary interference.

Comment

Max, thanks for the info. I run my BD590 wireless. I have a dualband n router. What do you mean by what channel am I using? I watched the first 20 mins of the movie a little while ago and had not one issue. Yesterday within the first 2 mins of the movie, it buffered numerous times and today no issue. Im wondering if it was an outage with comcast somewhere of just high traffic in my area?

Comment

davidp71,

What max is asking is what wireless channel is your router set to. This is important since activity on the same channel from a neighbor can also cause streaming issues.

On your question on how speedtest.net can be different from the speed test that VUDU is hosting. The location of a speedtest.net host is usually really close to your ISP hop off point to the internet. For example my speedtest.net host that I test against is in the city of Chicago one hop away from the router that feeds AT&T U-verse. So the bandwidth measured is pretty darn close to the what AT&T offers me.

Now the speed test host that VUDU uses is located somewhere out there let just say on the west coast. Well the bandwidth that I measure always shows about 1 to 1.5 mbps slower than the Chicago bandwidth. Different infrastructure and route to get to the VUDU service.

In your case the route to your speedtest.net host is probably the same as mine. As close to your ISP. But the route from your ISP to the VUDU speedtest host is showing congestion which would be anywhere on the internet.

By running the tests that VUDU's support team has asked helps them identify where the problem is located. Most of the time its been seen that DNS and the routing of the traffic is the culprit but these pieces of the internet VUDU doesn't own so it takes more time to resolve.

I hope this answers your question.

Comment

*UPDATE*

With my son on xbox live, my wife on her netbook, my BD590 playing 2 HD trailers and me doing a speedtest at vudu my result was the following.

Download 46328kbps and my upload 7164kbps VUDU streamed each trailer with only 1 buffer at the beginning of the A Team trailer the rest played fine as well as the second trailer. Oh how I wish to get a reply from VUDU engineering......

Comment

Interestingly, this is not the first thread I've seen from a Comcast customer with this issue. Do a search on (I think) network throttling and I think a prior thread should turn up. I don't know if Comcast really does that or not...who knows. I hope the issue clears up for you. This is one situation where I'm glad to be on the legacy STB platform.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                  davidp71,

What max is asking is what wireless channel is your router set to. This is important since activity on the same channel from a neighbor can also cause streaming issues.

On your question on how speedtest.net can be different from the speed test that VUDU is hosting. The location of a speedtest.net host is usually really close to your ISP hop off point to the internet. For example my speedtest.net host that I test against is in the city of Chicago one hop away from the router that feeds AT&T U-verse. So the bandwidth measured is pretty darn close to the what AT&T offers me.

Now the speed test host that VUDU uses is located somewhere out there let just say on the west coast. Well the bandwidth that I measure always shows about 1 to 1.5 mbps slower than the Chicago bandwidth. Different infrastructure and route to get to the VUDU service.

In your case the route to your speedtest.net host is probably the same as mine. As close to your ISP. But the route from your ISP to the VUDU speedtest host is showing congestion which would be anywhere on the internet.

By running the tests that VUDU's support team has asked helps them identify where the problem is located. Most of the time its been seen that DNS and the routing of the traffic is the culprit but these pieces of the internet VUDU doesn't own so it takes more time to resolve.

I hope this answers your question.
                  How do I find out what channel my router is at?

Comment

Originally posted by davidp71 View Post
                    How do I find out what channel my router is at?
                    Go into the setup page for your router from any computer on your network. If you don't know how, post the model of the router and someone can find you the manual or maybe even specific instructions. But for now, you'll find an explanation of the issue to which I'm referring here: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...ifichannel.htm

Of course, the problem could very well be that your Comcast connection is slowing down when lots of other people in your neighborhood are using it, too, but with my idea you can at least try to solve it by yourself; if the issue is with Comcast, you may be stuck.

Comment

I am new to VuDu and can only stream @ 3Mbps max. I recently experienced problems with Avatar on SD. Could NOT sream @ HD at all. I noticed that I could do previews for several movies in HD except Avatar and Hurt Locker last Sunday. On Tuesday night I still could not preview Avatar in HD, but was able to preview in SD. I have a Vizio VBR200W and am hardwired to my Qwest modem. I suspect that on popular movies that Vudu cannot handle the "load" so to speak on there on servers. I did watch Avatar in SD and had buffering issues by the multitudes and several frozen screens until I got well into the movie; then no issues. I had no problesm streaming HD (2.25Mbps according to VudU) on It's Complicated. So, I suspect it's a server issue with popular movies @ Vudu. Just a suspicion and I doubt they are going to admit to it.

Comment

I have Comcast high-speed internet at 20mbps. The other night I brought my netgear router back to best buy and bought a dualband wireless n router. This afternoon, my wife was on her laptop, my son on xbox live and me streaming a few trailers in HD and HDX. Streamed with "no" issues at all. Maybe my problem was my router?? I am kind of aggrivated seeing vudu told me over the phone that I was going to get a credit for the movie I watched and get a call back in a day or two to see how things were going. That was last Sunday. If they say their going to do something.....well, do it. Not very good customer service...a bit dissapointed!

Comment

Working...
                        X