Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU PR??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VUDU PR??

I haven't seen any ads for vudu in the general media? Are you guys going to launch a big marketing blitz to get more attention for your product? I've read reviews via Google from various mags but not on TV, or newspapers, general mags, etc.... no one I know has ever heard of it, and many friends are in IT ...

Re: VUDU PR??

Sorry to say suspiciously absent...and I've talked to Circuit City, Best Buy and a few others and get blank stares (I live in CT)...you guys really should put yourself out there if you want this thing to take off.

Comment

Well from what I hear, they are only going to be selling the box at high end retail store for now.

Comment

Understandable...you don't have the budget to throw it out everywhere until you get enough purchasing of the product, sticky situation.

BUT...get your advertising manager to get off his butt, no one has heard of it...and please don't add in all the review quotes..;-) That's not coming from the average Joe out there.

I want it...may get as a Christmas present (dropped hints) but I am also leary of new products (technology) which very few people have heard of...no matter how good it is. This is one of a few reasons I haven't dropped the 4 bills on it yet.

Comment

I heard that tweeter was going to sell it. BestBuy has their own netflix-like service don't they? so I don't see them selling it ... Yep - $400 may be too steep for the general consumer. I'm wondering if they're waiting on getting a better catalog in place - most mainstream movies are not available.

Comment

Well also (See IPhone lawsuits) most of us know that when a product has been out there awhile the prices drop, folks wait. Well isn't this company in CA? Tweeter in CT closed it doors...

Suggestion: Offer something akin to the game industry when you pre-order a software product in BETA....something that users 6 months down the road won't get.

Comment

Here's what I see as the philosophy, guys.

First of all Vudu wants to capture the high end market of early adopters. The box is going to be carried by Tweeter (no, they didn't go out of business everywhere - the remaining stores are all profitable), Magnolia stores that are not part of Best Buy and probably a few other high end retailers here or there.

Vudu, being a small player does not have the supply chain systems in place yet to support a large box retailer like Circuit City or Best Buy. If those places started selling large numbers of boxes, Vudu likely doesn't have the capability to keep up and that's not good.

Rather, when you start to market a product, you target an initial market that you can sell to with good profit margins. Then as your volume grows and as you get cash flow from your product you can begin to expand your distribution base and lower your price at the same time. I think that's what Vudu is going to do. If they are presently making good money on the box and shipping out the door every product they can produce at this point (I don't know that) then a marketing campaign won't help and would in fact hurt.

I'm not privy to sales numbers but I hope they are good...

Comment

Agreed..that's the standard model for most small companies....

But still pump a little advertising since those "high end stores" you listed are no longer or don't exist in New England....a nice movie box would be appreciated during those long cold winters...esp during snow storms!

Comment

I agree with the comments below. Most people, even in the techie world have never heard of VUDU. Money, marketing, chicken before the egg sort of thing...But certainly getting the word out needs to be done. The price is a big obstacle in my opinion. 400 clams is a lot for the average Joe and looking around me I just don't see any of my friends forking out if they even knew about it. The part that really kills the decision is the fact that once I pay 400 clams I still have to pay top dollar for every film afterwards. The average Joe is just going to stick to cable or blockbuster/netflix. You need to get a marketing hook out there somehow... 50 free movies with the purchase of a box. Something that Joe is going to stop and go, "wow! Thats pretty good, I'm gunna get one". At the moment all my friends just say, "dang , expensive, and forget it if you have to buy or rent the films at full price afterwards"...They are not techies or watch that many films so, maybe its not the target market but nonetheless, the point is clear. There's no hook, no incentive to take the plunge and cough up 400 big ones.

Comment

I paid $250 for my first CD player (in 1985). I did that when you could fit all of the available CD titles on a rack about 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall. The points you make could have been made back then too. Why would anyone spend that much money (probably more than $500 in today's dollars) just to listen to music, when they can use their good old walkman and/or record player?

The fact is that on-demand video rental with instant start capability is at least as different from DVDs as CDs were from LPs and casettes and DVDs were from VHS. There is the potential for tremendous added value in not having to deal with the hassle of physical media at all. The people who realize that and want it will understand that and probably be willing to pay for the hardware. I am such a person.

Sure, not everyone is ready for that or willing to pay for it but I would bet there are quite a few, even today. I would also argue that it will only be a matter of time, if this thing takes off, before many more are willing to do so. In that scenario, the current issues with content would be resolved and the hardware will come down in price. Everybody wins.

Comment

IMHO, Vudu is just the beginning of the wave that will revolutionize home entertainment. I believe that 10 years from now, broadcast schedules will pretty much be a thing of the past. You'll be able to watch your favorite movies and shows whenever and wherever you want.

What if, Vudu was able to carry all your favorite TV shows and every week you could stream the weeks episode whenever you wanted. It would change viewing habits as much as TiVO and Replay have done...

Comment

I did see the a 1/4 page advertisement on the back of last weeks Magnolia HiFi Sunday paper ad. Maybe the slow leak has gotten bigger?

Comment

I guess it's a step in the right direction, but I would hope they will expand beyond hobbyist magazines. I heard about Vudu in PC Mag. They're not exactly mainstream. Others say their ramping up slowly -- I don't know what their waiting for, personally ....

Comment

There are several reasons why it might make sense for a company like Vudu to gradually ramp up the number of customers. It gives them time to work the kinks out with a manageable number of customers. Adding a ton of new users all at the same time, especially right at the beginning, has a certain amount of risk of causing the entire system to crash. Having a limited number of customers makes this both less likely and less of a customer satisfaction issue if it were to occur. As the system proves itself and any issues get worked out, the chances of this type of problem diminish greatly.

Also, as has been noted, the current selection of movies is expected to improve over time. Having the number of customers grow along with that makes sense from a customer satisfaction perspective.

Lastly, fancy marketing costs a lot of money. Given the 2 reasons I already mentioned, it is likely to make more sense to do the gradual ramp up and spend the money elsewhere. There is a lot to consider when launching a company and how fast it should grow and how you should market it to achieve that are not always as simple as you might think.

Comment

I found a write up about Vudu in the October issue of Popular Science and another review on Cnet. Almost everyone I have spoken with at CC, Bestbuy and Comp USA never heard of the company or the concept.
                              Last edited by Nded; 10-30-2007, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X