Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

AppleTV HD vs. Vudu - First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AppleTV HD vs. Vudu - First Impressions

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
    But when it sucks that I can't easily find a movie that I'm interested in, isn't that considered a UI issue?
    Do a search?

You can also log on to the iTunes store and look there as well.

Comment

Do you know if I can convert my owned DVDs to ATV format and stream it from my PC using the new ATV?

That would be a big plus and something I hope Vudu would consider by adding media extender capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
        Do a search?

You can also log on to the iTunes store and look there as well.
        I guess I could, but I thought I read somewhere that you were supposed to be able to use Atv without needing a computer.

I'm just being onery now.

BTW, I took your advice and did a search for "movies I like". It came back with 0 hits.

Comment

I guess I could, but I thought I read somewhere that you were supposed to be able to use Atv without needing a computer.

I'm just being onery now.

BTW, I took your advice and did a search for "movies I like". It came back with 0 hits.
          YEOW! You are ornery!

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
            I have a question. If ATV doesn't use P2P, does that mean that it really doesn't use your network much unless you are watching movies? With 5 Vudus working 24/7 I have a lot of background network traffic. Comcast is coming out with 16Mb/s service here in 2 weeks. I would drop my 2 other WANS and just use that but I think I still need my 3 WANs to not be a traffic "abuser". If ATV were near equivalent to Vudu in every other way, the light use of the network when no movies were being watched would be a big plus for me.
            It sounds like it might work like Xbxo LiVe. When I watch a movie with that it downloads as fast as possible and allows viewing in around 30 seconds with download speeds from 8mbs to over 20mbs from what I've seen. But it would definitely max out a slow connection and no instant viewing. I can view titles in 20 to 30 seconds only becasue I have a very fast Internet connection. With a slower connection, that's more time it takes to fill the buffer until youy can start watching.
            The instant viewing with the VUDU is definitely a huge positive.

Comment

You are right. The instant viewing is very high on my list of things I like about Vudu. The fact that it does it in 4Mb/s HD and 2Mb/s SD is more important than the background traffic when I'm not using them. I'm staying put and letting the companies duke it out and other people do the side by side comparisons.

Comment

My take on the two:

1.The unit itself - Vudu wins between the two because it doesn't heat up like the ATV. The ATV could warm my house in the winter after just a few minutes of use. Also I like the connections on the Vudu, and the asthetics of the box. ATV maybe smaller but not by much.

2. The Remote - Vudu wins, mainly because for the scroll wheel. It makes trick play, text entry, and browsing easier and it provides an over all better experience. Plus it feels better in your hand. Vudu packs an RF remote, but apple sports an IR remote that one can use a universial remote with.

3. Movie Selection SD - Vudu has a bigger selection but mainly because of the wide variety of movie genres they have. Right now I would give the edge slightly to Vudu becasue of this.

4. Movie selection HD - This one is a toss up it all depends on you likes and dislikes so I would say a tie between the two.

5. Movie quality SD - This one is close as well but I would give a slight edge to Vudu (very slight edge)

6. Movie quality HD - After watching Transformers on both I would give a slight edge again to Vudu the picture seemed almost identical to ATV, which had less macro blocking than the XBox Live downloads so if you have downloaded from there then you will know what I mean about macroblocking I was pleasantly suprised with the Atv picture but felt that Vudu's 1080p encode seemed to be slightly more detailed than the Atv. My wife said they looked identical to her.

7. Price SD - Vudu wins only because it has .99 rentals and offers some free downloads of older gems for people to enjoy.

8. Price HD - Apple wins as 4.99 is their top price for an HD download.

9. AQ - Vudu's DD+ encode downgraded to DD seemed a little fuller in the explosions and action sequences, but Atv seemed more crisp in the dialog and the rears were more active on the Vudu. So I guess it is what you prefer as to whom you would deem the winner of this battle. Vudu also has more movies available in DD5.1.

10. User interface - I liked Vudu's interface better. The scrolling, being able to seperate by a lot more categories than ATV offers and being able to combine multiple filters makes Vudu navigation alot easier. ATV is pleasant and easy to use and I would probably love it had Vudu not spoiled me.

11. Functionality - This is a personal choice but I love the ATV more so than the Vudu here. Being able to take a purchase and have it automatically back up on my Mac from which I can back it up on a disc is great. I also like being ale to move a show or movie to my iPod to view on the go. I like being able to purchase a season pass for TV shows. I also enjoy You tube and Flickr features on ATV ( won't use them much but occasionally have used You tube and it is nice)

12. TV shows - Almost forgot this one as it is obvious that ATV wins. Vudu's selection is anemic and not portable. Apple allows for the option to purchase a season at a discount and has a much larger selection so I give the edge to Apple.

13. Movie experience - The Vudu instant watching has set the bar. I did notlike to have to wait on the ATV, I have been spoiled. The P2P that Vudu uses has its good things as well as bad. It can be a network hog on my home network and bog some of my other equipment down but it allows for a much more pleasant viewing experience. With the ATV I waited to watch a movie until it was finished downloading because the network was so jammed up last night that it took 4 minutes to download a 2:25 HD movie trailer. and on some HD trailers it kept pausing to buffer and that is not what I want to have happen while watching a movie. That has yet to happen to me while watching Vudu.

In conclusion if you love movies and plan on renting most of the time, and you want the best quality that downloads offer I would recommend Vudu over ATV any day of the week. If you look for more functionality, the ability to back up purchases to "data" disc, portabilty, and you like TV as well as movies than I would recommend ATV.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Is 3:10 to Yuma available in HD on ATV? I didn't think it was...

Comment

Originally posted by kikar View Post
                    My take on the two:

9. AQ - This is a Toss up as they are equal.

Just my two cents.
                    Good write up!

Correct me if I'm wrong but ATV's SD offerings are all in stereo, while many of VUDU's SD titles have DD5.1 surround sound.

If that's true, how would you consider AQ to be equal, and therefore a toss up?

Regards

Comment

Kikar,

You did a really nice comparison of the two boxes. I appreciate it because I am trying to decide what box to buy. I think I like the vudu better based on your comments but the main sticking point to me is the ability to stream movies that I already own from my PC. I also don't like that vudu movie rentals are stuck on their box. I guess I can wait and see if vudu will ever have a media streaming feature or maybe buy both boxes.

Decisions decisions!

Comment

Forget what I said about comparing the two. My dumb *** went to new releases and downloaded 3:10. That explains the washed out look. I am going to have to try Transformers tonight. I am going to update my post as soon I view it. Sorry for being sloppy and inadvertantly providing erroneous info for comparison. I will correct that tonight. i GOT LOST IN THE EUPHORIA OF FINALLY GETTING THE UPDATE. I will say that the HD trailer quality was good and I did like that option of having trailers in HD. I was all over the place trying out every feature I will try to pay closer attention when viewing and not get caught up as a kid in a candy store.

Comment

Good write up!

Correct me if I'm wrong but ATV's SD offerings are all in stereo, while many of VUDU's SD titles have DD5.1 surround sound.

If that's true, how would you consider AQ to be equal, and therefore a toss up?

Regards
                          Sorry but I guess I should say the audio qaulity is a wash when comparing stereo to stereo and 5.1 to 5.1. When comparing 5.1 to matrixed stereo it is close but the 5.1 will edge out the matrixed stereo. I will give Vudu the edge in that more of their movies have 5.1 but they also have more movies.

I am sorry I should have been more clear I was just looking at the quality and not the availability. You are correct though in that Vudu easily wins in avaiability.

Comment

Originally posted by pmilin View Post
                            I also don't like that vudu movie rentals are stuck on their box.
                            On the AppleTV if you do an HD rental it is stuck on the ATV only. The only movies you can move around are SD. And then only one device at a time can have the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by pmilin View Post
                              Kikar,

You did a really nice comparison of the two boxes. I appreciate it because I am trying to decide what box to buy. I think I like the vudu better based on your comments but the main sticking point to me is the ability to stream movies that I already own from my PC. I also don't like that vudu movie rentals are stuck on their box. I guess I can wait and see if vudu will ever have a media streaming feature or maybe buy both boxes.

Decisions decisions!
                              Yeah, that is my biggest beef as well with Vudu. But I will rent movies from Vudu before I consider renting anything on ATV. Because the whole experience is better with Vudu. But I will purchase from the Atv because of portability and the ability to burn to disc and watch on my Macs. It is a hard delima when having to choose between the two. Just think about what your primary use would be first. rentals or purchase. Then think of all the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by kikar View Post
                                Yeah, that is my biggest beef as well with Vudu. But I will rent movies from Vudu before I consider renting anything on ATV. Because the whole experience is better with Vudu. But I will purchase from the Atv because of portability and the ability to burn to disc and watch on my Macs. It is a hard delima when having to choose between the two. Just think about what your primary use would be first. rentals or purchase. Then think of all the rest.
                                Uh, can you burn movies purchased via iTMS to DVD? I don't think so...

Comment

Working...
                                X