Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

AppleTV HD vs. Vudu - First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AppleTV HD vs. Vudu - First Impressions

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
    I just wish I had the time to post back to these wanna be journalists out there. The web is so full of misinformation it's not even funny. Vudu needs to set up some attack dog volunteers to go after this sort of thing. We need a Chico Crew!
    Believe me, the Vudu PR people don't leave us alone.

Comment

Originally posted by steveybaby View Post
      They mean "The likelihood that this High Def format will die"..hence HD-DVD being labeled "Already Dead".

VUDU as a "format" running scared? Maybe they believe this because of the drop in price of the vudu unit just before the apple announcement. I don't see it myself. IMHO, VUDU has shown itself to be the current winner of VOD - technologically speaking. Of course we all know that just because something is "better" doesn't mean it will become popular....
      That's exactly what AI meant. They have a paragraph where they talk about Vudu being hurt by the recent price cut from Apple. They claim that since Vudu dropped the price by $100, they are either losing $$$ or not making much on hardware. AI makes a mistake, in my opinion, in assuming that Vudu's model is like Apple's, i.e. make big $$$ on hardware and make almost nothing on media sales. I think, Vudu is better position to make money on media sales based on their technology.

Comment

I can't recall reading anything by any Apple fanboys that is not completely biased crap. The OS is the best and everyone copies it, the iPod is superior to everything and now ATV is the best HD experience in the world. This company is run by a dillusional egomaniac with followers that have their head up his assle.

Comment

Originally posted by Petercarbo View Post
          I can't recall reading anything by any Apple fanboys that is not completely biased crap. The OS is the best and everyone copies it, the iPod is superior to everything and now ATV is the best HD experience in the world. This company is run by a dillusional egomaniac with followers that have their head up his assle.
          I wouldn't go quite that far with AppleTV. The original version didn't get much love from what I've read and it sold pretty poorly by Apple standards.

Comment

I just came from ATV and got my Vudu today .. so here is my .02

1) Apple TV gets major marks for INSTANT always up to date catalog. Not sure why this is complicated with Vudu but you buy an ATV, you plug it in and poof everything is there all the thumbnails all the catalog everything no waiting.
            2) The apple screen looks cleaner, i think their menus are actualy done in 720p looks a level above what Vudu has to offer (today).
            3) Apple has WAY more "tv" content then Vudu

Now .. why I left Apple ..

1) FF/RW = non existent you can only do it in 'chapters' (~4min segments) what a joke.
            2) And this should really be #1 .. movie content .. 500 films vs 5000. I went with Apple in Feb figuring it would triple (then they had 300) that month to the promised 1000 and grow rapidly to pass Vudu. Its not mid April and they haven't even reached 1000 and are growing slower then Vudu not catching up.

The video quality on both are very compariable apples and oranges. Some films have a better transfer on one some the other. I call it a wash. The 'instant' viewing is really a wash too, even with the ATV HD movies were ready in ~ 20 seconds which is instant for all intents and purposes. If Apple could have delivered in content I wouldn't be in the Vudu camp now but in the end, if you don't have the content the features don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Riekl View Post
              Apple TV gets major marks for INSTANT always up to date catalog. Not sure why this is complicated with Vudu but you buy an ATV, you plug it in and poof everything is there all the thumbnails all the catalog everything no waiting.
              I know that you're frustrated with the update thing. But talk about bad timing, I bought my ATV after Job's big keynote speech at CES about how great ATV was going to be. They sold me the box immediately, shipped it to me in 2 days, and then I had to wait for 30+ days before Apple released their software update to allow me to even watch a single movie.

So it's bad luck for you right now, but not close to as bad as what I went through with ATV.

So I hope this small glitch doesn't give you such a bad taste that you won't give VUDU a fair chance. If you use it for awhile and you say you don't like, I would really respect that.

If Apple could have delivered in content I wouldn't be in the Vudu camp now but in the end, if you don't have the content the features don't matter.
              You are very wise. Most people just can't see the forest for the trees!!

Best Regards
              Hope everything works out.

Comment

I have owned both Vudu and Apple TV for several months now and I cannot really say I like one better than the other. They each have there pluses and minuses. I am, however, most interested in the HD rental offerings and it is here that AppleTV wins. Vudu I believe as of 4/16/08 has 119 HD movies available for rent, whereas AppleTV has 202. Vudu HD rentals are $5.99 and $3.99, whereas AppleTV's are $4.99 and $3.99. I have to wait about 2 minutes before an HD movie starts to play on ATV, and about 4 minutes if I want to guarantee that the whole movie plays without it pausing to catch up at some point during the movie. Playback on Vudu is instantaneous with HD. HD picture quality for VUDU and ATV is about equal as far as I can tell on my 720p 50 inch Sony LCD projection TV. VUDU definitely wins when comparing overall film offerings (SD and HD) and with respect to the remote control--although I do not think the the ATV remote is that bad. ATV wins because of slideshow viewing, music playing , You Tube viewing, and the fact that I can copy a rented DVD from Netflix, transfer it over to ATV without any perceptible loss in quality, and then send back the DVD to Netflix so that I can get the next DVD on my cue.

Comment

Originally posted by orccro1 View Post
                  Vudu HD rentals are $5.99 and $3.99, whereas AppleTV's are $4.99 and $3.99.
                  I've been ****'n and moan'n about the $5.99 sticker price for a while too. But no one seems to interested in talking about it (until now).

Originally posted by orccro1 View Post
                  and the fact that I can copy a rented DVD from Netflix, transfer it over to ATV without any perceptible loss in quality, and then send back the DVD to Netflix so that I can get the next DVD on my cue.
                  I'm personally not that interested in most of those extra features you mentioned. But I'm kinda intriqued about the Netflix thing. How do you do that??

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                    I've been ****'n and moan'n about the $5.99 sticker price for a while too. But no one seems to interested in talking about it (until now).

I'm personally not that interested in most of those extra features you mentioned. But I'm kinda intriqued about the Netflix thing. How do you do that??
                    Hedge it is of er .. questionable legality .. but you simply rent the DVD rip it to your PC with any DVD program, and then use an H264 encoder like Handbrake. After it is in H264 format you just drag it into iTunes and poof you can watch the DVD on your Apple TV.

Comment

I use Mac The Ripper on my Mac to rip, and then Handbrake to endcode. You can also use Handbrake to both rip and endcode.

Comment

So how did ATV surpass VUDU with HD content so quickly?

Comment

1) Apple TV gets major marks for INSTANT always up to date catalog. Not sure why this is complicated with Vudu but you buy an ATV, you plug it in and poof everything is there all the thumbnails all the catalog everything no waiting.
                          You pull the catalog down from Apple as you go. With Vudu it's on your box along with the "heads" of the movies which is about the first 30 seconds of each film. So the paradigm of how the box works is a little different.

2) The apple screen looks cleaner, i think their menus are actualy done in 720p looks a level above what Vudu has to offer (today).
                          Interesting. How did you view the Vudu? Over HDMI? If not, then all you were seeing was 480p at best. Could be part of your issue. ATV outputs 720p and 1080i over component. Vudu doesn't which bites. But I think the reason is that Vudu was forced to do it that way by the studios because right now the only content you can play on Vudu is copy protected. Not so with ATV.

Agreed. Apple has been in this market for a LOT longer though - about 2 years or more. So they've had time to build up the TV library and make deals. I think Vudu will be getting more in the months to come. The product is only 6 months old now. I hope they get more for sure...

1) FF/RW = non existent you can only do it in 'chapters' (~4min segments) what a joke.
                          Actually, you can. Press and hold the back or forward keys. However, it's not elegant at all. You have to press and hold and then let go and then press again to get it to stop I believe. But it's very awkward for sure. I HATE it.

2) And this should really be #1 .. movie content .. 500 films vs 5000. I went with Apple in Feb figuring it would triple (then they had 300) that month to the promised 1000 and grow rapidly to pass Vudu. Its not mid April and they haven't even reached 1000 and are growing slower then Vudu not catching up.
                          I believe one reason for this might be the viewing window bug where you can pause a rented movie and come back after the 24 hr window and finish it. That's a contract violation and is probably stopping studios from whole heartedly releasing content.

The video quality on both are very compariable apples and oranges. Some films have a better transfer on one some the other. I call it a wash. The 'instant' viewing is really a wash too, even with the ATV HD movies were ready in ~ 20 seconds which is instant for all intents and purposes. If Apple could have delivered in content I wouldn't be in the Vudu camp now but in the end, if you don't have the content the features don't matter.

I agree. I haven't rented any SD movies on ATV so I can't say much there. Vudu does have a lot of SD movies in DD5.1. Apple doesn't have any. For HD movies, I rented one on ATV. I found it took about 45 seconds to start. I rented the same movie on Vudu and compared the two. I did think Vudu had slightly better color depth and contrast. But it was very slight. I think both are pretty comparable.

One thing I read in MacWorld about ATV that is problematic with streaming is that if you take a hit on your network, your movie may pause while the stream catches up. Not a problem with Vudu. Network fluctuations are pretty well taken care of and given that Vudu works in a P2P network, the peer controllers at Vudu can easily direct your box to peers that are functioning well and are not overloaded. With ATV, you could also get into a situation where a hot new release comes out and many, many people are all trying to pull the movie at the same time - huge server load there. With Vudu's distributed network this won't happen.

I like both but as I've said, I prefer Vudu for movies and I'm just annoyed at Apple for having a virtually worthless photo interface!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                            So how did ATV surpass VUDU with HD content so quickly?
                            I dunno, but they did. I'm somewhat frustrated at the slow pace of Vudu's HD release schedule. It's up to 119 right now or something like that but it could go quicker. IMHO, every new release should be in HD...

Comment

Quote:
                              Agreed. Apple has been in this market for a LOT longer though - about 2 years or more. So they've had time to build up the TV library and make deals. I think Vudu will be getting more in the months to come. The product is only 6 months old now. I hope they get more for sure...

But come on, who "really cares". There are plenty of ways to get tv content. I use the PhazGorzmic Directv box myself, but there are many other outlets for tv.

NA9D was wondering out loud, in another post, why Apple doesn't provide SD content in DD5.1. I thought about it a lot (but didn't lose any sleep over it) and I conclude they are in the lowest demoninator trap. They have to provide content to all their media devices and don't want to make the effort to provide a good "home entertainment" experience at the cost of all the ways they serve their content with other devices.

Am I so out of touch that no one can get tv from a tv???

Comment

Not sure why this is complicated with Vudu but you buy an ATV, you plug it in and poof everything is there all the thumbnails all the catalog everything no waiting.
                                Maybe it's because of what you listed as a con for ATV. That is, with only 500 movies and not catching up to Vudu, it wouldn't be as hard for them to keep it up to date.

Comment

Working...
                                X